The Student Room Group

Republicans seek ways to block Obama on immigration

Do you agree?

WASHINGTON House Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul said Tuesday he is looking for ways to block President Obama's action to protect up to 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportation, saying it will lead to a new surge of illegal immigration into the USA.

"Sadly, the Department of Homeland Security is unprepared to handle the coming surge that the president's policies will incite," the Texas Republican said at the first of two House hearings on the issue. "The Border Patrol's resources are already strained as immigrants pour across the border, making it difficult to identify smugglers, criminals and potential terrorists."

Tuesday's hearings in the House Homeland Security and Judiciary committees are Republicans' first formal attempt to push back against the administration.

"I will use every tool at my disposal to stop the president's unconstitutional actions from being implemented, starting with this oversight hearing," McCaul said.

It's not yet clear what, if anything, Republicans will do to try to derail Obama's Nov. 20 executive order, which he announced just before Congress left town for Thanksgiving recess.

OBAMA Speaks Up!

In a White House speech, Obama rejected Republican arguments that his decision to bypass Congress and take executive action was tantamount to amnesty for illegal immigrants.

For more details go here
The Australian Government thinks it is a ridiculous policy to enact, and agrees with the Republicans that this will only encourage more illegal immigration.

I suppose you guys can't just sail them away to PNG or capsize their boats though...
As a border country and with a growing number of migrants in the US, Mexico feels deportation is required and will support this policy. Mexico has lost many of its citizens and we would be happy to see them return, particularly given our new stance to drug trades.

Equally a border country to the US, Canada does not feel this policy is fair and believes the immigrants could benefit the US. Canada itself has a very high rate of immigration, causing our economy to improve and social equality to balance out too. We would consider adopting a portion of these people if they will so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending