The Student Room Group

I have been withdrawn from University due to unsatisfactory attendance?

I have been withdrawn from my uni course because of lack of attendance (mostly due to illness and feelings of being depressed and not being motivated to go in..i have no friends at uni and literally have low morale)
Anyway, I am going to appeal tomorrow, What key points should I state so that they would allow me back in? And if not, is it possible that the uni can give you a place for next year? Thank you xoxo
Does your uni have a policy of telling them why you aren't going in? My uni wants us to email if were not going to go in (e.g. if were ill)
Tell them the truth, that you are really ill and are struggling at uni. Only issue is they may want some medical proof if you have been ill etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Chanelephantxox
I have been withdrawn from my uni course because of lack of attendance (mostly due to illness and feelings of being depressed and not being motivated to go in..i have no friends at uni and literally have low morale)
Anyway, I am going to appeal tomorrow, What key points should I state so that they would allow me back in? And if not, is it possible that the uni can give you a place for next year? Thank you xoxo

You need medical evidence. Have you seen your Doctor? If not make an appointment tomorrow and go through your symptoms, and say how it has affected your studies. They may be able to write a letter of support saying it would be a reasonable assumption that even though the diagnosis is late, the preceding months will have been affected.
Reply 4
You do not say what year you are in.

If in first year I feel for you honey, I was remorselessly shy and though hallmates tried to involve me and I had a group of friends initially, I got more and more withdrawn to the point of not attending the whole of Monday afternoon ( stupidly because I was paranoid a tutor was going to tell me off about getting 40% on a multiple choice maths mock - the course average turned out to be 12% lol!) I saw the head of school, was honest about things and even though socially things never really recovered ( I lived at home 2nd and 3rd years) I got back into my degree and got an honours (a 3rd, not what I was capable of but I never truly gained motivation/momentum again but still I made it.)

Go to your GP and get them to write a not saying how the depression has affected you, assuming you want to continue. The fact you are appealing means you want the course and to stay on which is good. If you are in the first (and even the second year) its not too late, get through the rest of term and Christmas and make a vow to really knuckle down in the new year and try and make friends - even if youre behind all work and no play will not help you. If you're in halls and you feel things have passed you by, you could always transfer. Or just go round knocking on doors - you are a nice girl and you will have the lads throwing themselves your way in no time! A relationship may really bolster your self esteem. If you're in a house with housemates then get them to nag you into work/attending! It will take time and knockbacks but every depression is self limiting, one day in the Spring term the Sun will metaphorically smash its way through the clouds in your life and things will look up. Take antidepressants perhaps - they have got me out of depressions before!

Good luck and please update us!

Quick Reply

Latest