The Student Room Group

Subject choice help

I have to decide my a level choices really soon, but I'm unsure of whether to go toward the humanities or sciences. I was originally thinking of doing maths AS, chemistry, biology and history. I am predicted an a/a* for both sciences and an a* in history at igcse but I would rather do rs (predicted an a*) instead of one of the sciences. I want to go to do some form of humanities degree such as ppe at Oxford or history with economics, so what options would be the best to pick, the more sciencey option or the more humanities option? Also would doing rs be considered soft?
Original post by cass51098
I have to decide my a level choices really soon, but I'm unsure of whether to go toward the humanities or sciences. I was originally thinking of doing maths AS, chemistry, biology and history. I am predicted an a/a* for both sciences and an a* in history at igcse but I would rather do rs (predicted an a*) instead of one of the sciences. I want to go to do some form of humanities degree such as ppe at Oxford or history with economics, so what options would be the best to pick, the more sciencey option or the more humanities option? Also would doing rs be considered soft?

If you're wanting to do PPE, as long as you have Maths and History (which aren't even requirements, only recommendations) then it doesn't particularly matter what your remaining two subjects are. You might want to choose subjects you feel give you better preparation for the degree like essay subjects or Further Math/Physics to help with your analytical or maths abilities.

I was in the same position as you when I chose; I was unsure as to whether I wanted to go down a Science or an Arts road. I chose Maths, History, Physics and French. Remember, there are no degrees that specify 3/4 subjects that you need to have. Of course if you're aiming for Oxford then keeping them traditional/facilitating is a must. As to whether you pick science or arts subjects isn't THAT important. Do what you enjoy the most :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest