The Student Room Group

Periods are extremely irregular!

I'm 18, not sexually active, and have had my period since 13 ish.

t's extremely irregular though! last year there was a gap of around 8-9 months between my periods. My GP said its normal for girls to be irregular, but having researched it ive found its only normal in the first 2 years. Is it worth going to see my GP again? What could be the problem?
Reply 1
Lots of things can affect your period, be it stress, diet exercise or hormones. My periods were so irregular and I got fed up with it that I went on the pill so I at least knew when I would get them instead of worrying all the time! Worrying can actually delay things further, its a very annoying cycle, you worry, so your body will delay ovulation and in turn your period, aren't women's bodies so annoying! If you're that concerned go to your GP and explain what's wrong, that's what they're there for and I'm sure they'll show you your options, don't panic! :smile:
Original post by Abizabi
Lots of things can affect your period, be it stress, diet exercise or hormones. My periods were so irregular and I got fed up with it that I went on the pill so I at least knew when I would get them instead of worrying all the time! Worrying can actually delay things further, its a very annoying cycle, you worry, so your body will delay ovulation and in turn your period, aren't women's bodies so annoying! If you're that concerned go to your GP and explain what's wrong, that's what they're there for and I'm sure they'll show you your options, don't panic! :smile:

Thing is, going on the pill only covers the problem up... it doesn't tell you what the underlying cause is... which could be something that might cause a problem if you're trying to concieve later on or affect your health in other ways.

OP, see your GP again, ask to see a different doctor (a female doctor would probably be good) and ask for blood tests/to be referred to a gynecologist to try and find out whats causing your irregular periods.
I'm not sure I'd like to trust a GP who says it's normal for a girl to go 8 months between periods after having them for 5 years. You should go back and let him/her know that you're concerned and that you'd like to have it investigated. It might be something simple that can be treated, but as the poster above said, having a period as little as once every 8 months is likely to have an impact on your ability to get pregnant, which might not matter to you now, but it certainly will in the future (most likely).

Quick Reply

Latest