The Student Room Group

Volunteering in a charity shop

I'm thinking about volunteering in a charity shop next term (my school does this minority programme thing for sixth formers on a Friday afternoon instead of classes - volunteering is one of the options).

I just have a few questions about applying. Is it okay to actually go into the shop and ask the person at the till, or would it be better to phone them? Also, do you need work experience to volunteer in a charity shop? Is there an interview like their would be for a normal job?

I've been reading up on it and I've seen some people who have been rejected because they don't have work experience and others who say that the shops are desperate for volunteers - I'm really confused.

Thank you for any help. :smile:
Original post by crozibear96
I'm thinking about volunteering in a charity shop next term (my school does this minority programme thing for sixth formers on a Friday afternoon instead of classes - volunteering is one of the options).

I just have a few questions about applying. Is it okay to actually go into the shop and ask the person at the till, or would it be better to phone them? Also, do you need work experience to volunteer in a charity shop? Is there an interview like their would be for a normal job?

I've been reading up on it and I've seen some people who have been rejected because they don't have work experience and others who say that the shops are desperate for volunteers - I'm really confused.

1) You can call ahead or ask in person, it doesn't really matter!
2) No, you don't need experience to volunteer, your colleagues would be more than happy to help you lest you need it.
3) Usually, an interview in person isn't required. Once you fill out a form, you'll receive a phone call and if they like you Voila! But bear in mind that different institutions will have different specifications.

Good luck~
Original post by R Dragon
1) You can call ahead or ask in person, it doesn't really matter!
2) No, you don't need experience to volunteer, your colleagues would be more than happy to help you lest you need it.
3) Usually, an interview in person isn't required. Once you fill out a form, you'll receive a phone call and if they like you Voila! But bear in mind that different institutions will have different specifications.

Good luck~

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm planning on doing this for my DofE
lim just planning on walking in and asking
I'm currently working in a charity shop for DofE. I just went in and spoke to the manager about what I needed it for. You don't need any experience beforehand because it doesn't take that much to volunteer at a charity shop. Good luck!! By the way, I really enjoy it so have fun! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I volunteered in a charity shop for 3 months. I just walked into the branch and asked to speak to the manager. I was asked to fill out some forms but I didn't have to go through an interview or hand in a cv or anything like that, but I think that will be dependant on what the charity shop is (mine was a cancer research UK branch) and where it is - the one I applied for desperately needed volunteers. I wasn't asked for any previous work experience as a requirement, however I did need a few references. I enjoyed my time there, and ended up doing a range of jobs such as working the till and shop floor, sorting stock and even on one occasion I got asked to be a stand in manager while my manager had an area meeting, which meant I was responsible for the entire shop for the day (e.g. Openinp and closing the shop, collecting and returning the key, serving customers, giving instructions to other volunteers, dealing with customers questions and any issues they had, taking the cash lifts and float and filling out various logs and forms). While I was there, I gained experience in managerial roles, stock room/inventory, shop floor and till work, customer service and being a team leader, which are all great things for me to be able to put on my cv. I did about 12 hours a week there as a volunteer for 12 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I've been volunteering at the British heart foundation charity shop for over 2 years and honestly it's so much fun, I would really recommend it!
So regarding your first question, I personally went in and asked the person on the till, who looked to be a teenager so I assumed wasn't the manager, if I could talk to the manager. Then I asked the manager if they had any volunteering opportunities for me. She was so lovely and took my name and gave me a form to fill out and give in and said to come in whatever day I was free. I'm not sure if it's just my charity shop or if in general they are like that, but it's all fairly relaxed and they don't expect you to have any previous work experience. I remember I was trained from the beginning on how to steam, work the till, do tagging etc.

Hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you all so much for your help. I got a placement at my local Cancer Research UK shop. :biggrin:

And happy New Year!
Original post by crozibear96

HI!
The only volunteering I've done is lightly assisting with English lessons for our 1st year pupils but I've heard that volunteering for e.g. charity shop work is quite rewarding + you get to meet lots of nice ppl. :smile:

Mum says fine to do either (phone or in person), but just leave your details with them so as not to 'put them on the spot'' about feeling they have to say yes or no then + there.

hope you get the experience you are looking for. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending