The Student Room Group

Can you get an A* in a level maths if you get a C in one module?

Hey guys,

is it possible to get an A* if you leave one of your six modules at a C (1 mark away from a B)?

Obviously this is providing you do really well in the other 5 exams

Would appreciate any response

Scroll to see replies

You can even get an A* if you did well enough, assuming the C is not C3 or C4. You need 80% UMS overall for an A, and in addition to A you need to average over 90% in C3 and C4 for A*. So you do the Maths.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by pearl_rose
Hey guys,

is it possible to get an A* if you leave one of your six modules at a C (1 mark away from a B)?

Obviously this is providing you do really well in the other 5 exams

Would appreciate any response

so long as your total UMS in C3 and C4 is 180 or more and the total is 480 or more you get A*

A bit extreme but
C1: 100 (A)
C2: 100 (A)
M1: 100 (A)
C3: 90 (A)
C4: 90 (A)
M2: 000 (U)

This is A*

A bit extreme but
C4: 89 (A)
M2: 100 (A)

This is A
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
so long as your total UMS in C3 and C4 is 180 or more and the total is 480 or more you get A*

A bit extreme but
C4: 90 (A)
M2: 000 (U)

This is A*

A bit extreme but
C4: 89 (A)
M2: 100 (A)

This is A

:O so it all depends on c3 and c4?! that's crazyy
Reply 4
Original post by pearl_rose
:O so it all depends on c3 and c4?! that's crazyy

yes

C3 and C4 are very important but you must still get 480 total UMS first.

Students these days push their year 12 total to a maximum, then in year 13 they neglect their applied module and concentrate on C3 and C4.

In my opinion the way to get A* should have been 90% average and then to sit an extra optional synoptic paper.
Original post by TeeEm
yes

Students these days push their year 12 total to a maximum, then in year 13 they neglect their applied module and concentrate on C3 and C4.

In my opinion the way to get A* should have been 90% average and then to sit an extra optional synoptic paper.

I totally agree with you suggestion of something extra for A*, TeeEm! A-level Maths at the moment is way too easy, and predictable to get A*, especially for boards like AQA and Edxcel.
Reply 6
Original post by chn.challenger
I totally agree with you suggestion of something extra for A*, TeeEm! A-level Maths at the moment is way too easy, and predictable to get A*, especially for boards like AQA and Edxcel.

totally agree.

It is politics to skew results to keep the public happy.
Yes definitely, I could have in theory got a 0 in one of my modules and still get an A* :smile: like TeeEm has shown.
What about CIE A level Maths?
Original post by TeeEm
yes

so do u mean we should do well in c3 and c4 more than the c1 and c2?
Reply 10
Original post by coolgamer
so do u mean we should do well in c3 and c4 more than the c1 and c2?

I am saying if your total is above 270 UMS then the applied module in Y13 makes little difference

EG

C1 96
C2 100
M1 89

AS total 285

C3 94
C4 90
M2 40

Grand total 509

A*
Original post by TeeEm
I am saying if your total is above 270 UMS then the applied module in Y13 makes little difference

EG

C1 96
C2 100
M1 89

AS total 285

C3 94
C4 90
M2 40

Grand total 509

A*

ohh how many ums for an A overall ?
Reply 12
Original post by coolgamer
ohh how many ums for an A overall ?

480 for maths from 6 modules (80 each)
Original post by TeeEm
totally agree.

It is politics to skew results to keep the public happy.

No it isn't, the A* grade was introduced to all A levels without any syllabus changes. It was the only practical comprise to introduce the A* to A level maths given the flexibility of the existing syllabus. The only other thing that could have been done would have been a significant change to the syllabus that had only gone through major change to address problems with low uptake and low completion of Maths just 4 years earlier and would have delayed its introduction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
No it isn't, the A* grade was introduced to all A levels without any syllabus changes. It was the only practical comprise to introduce the A* to A level maths given the flexibility of the existing syllabus. The only other thing that could have been done would have been a significant change to the syllabus that had only gone through major change to address problems with low uptake and low completion of Maths just 4 years earlier and would have delayed its introduction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A difference of opinion between men sometimes happens.
Original post by TeeEm
A difference of opinion between men sometimes happens.

I never understood why they didn't just make it 540+ and have done with it
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
I never understood why they didn't just make it 540+ and have done with it

I guess because that would imply earlier modules are as hard as later modules, which of course is not true

However that would have been fairer in my opinion.

Most of my Y13 students this year will not be "trying" S2 or M2.
(how can this be fair?)
Original post by TeeEm
I guess because that would imply earlier modules are as hard as later modules, which of course is not true

However that would have been fairer in my opinion.

Most of my Y13 students this year will not be "trying" S2 or M2.
(how can this be fair?)

Exactly right, with my Y13 students, we finish C3 and C4 by Christmas, and they will spend the next 6 months doing papers under my supervision. You have to be pretty special to not get an A* - ie don't do your homework.

Plus one must not forget the fact that if your C3 and C4 are so strong, you going to do naturally well in C1 and C2 retakes (if they are not at least 90+), with little revision.

At the end of all this, take S1 and D1 if you really want an easy time. A least one third of S1 slightly harder GCSE stuff anyway, and D1, well D1 is not even going to be in the new A-level syllabus after the reforms in a few years...that tell you how hard and relevant it is.

Getting A* in Maths should not be like this in my honest opinion.
Reply 18
Original post by chn.challenger
Exactly right, with my Y13 students, we finish C3 and C4 by Christmas, and they will spend the next 6 months doing papers under my supervision. You have to be pretty special to not get an A* - ie don't do your homework.

Plus one must not forget the fact that if your C3 and C4 are so strong, you going to do naturally well in C1 and C2 retakes (if they are not at least 90+), with little revision.

At the end of all this, take S1 and D1 if you really want an easy time. A least one third of S1 slightly harder GCSE stuff anyway, and D1, well D1 is not even going to be in the new A-level syllabus after the reforms in a few years...that tell you how hard and relevant it is.

Getting A* in Maths should not be like this in my honest opinion.

agreed
"that tell you how hard and relevant it is"

D1 is a great module; it is the only part of the A level syllabus that looks at some recently discovered mathematical ideas. What could be more relevant than the maths that sat navs use; critical path analyis and linear programming are used in many professions?

How boring to spend six months revising C3 and C4 ... I make sure my students learn it well the first time.

Quick Reply

Latest