The Student Room Group

Please could someone mark my question

Outline the working memory model. (6 marks)

Baddeley and Hitch created the WMM to resolve the over simplified multi-store model which they believed was not a valid enough model of memory. The Central executive is the key component of the model, in charge of the slave systems. It allocates, controls, and processes information. Next, the phonological loop (also known as the inner ear) deals with auditory information. It's further divided into the articulatory process (inner voice) converting written information into sound, and the phonological store. Furthermore, the visit spatial sketchpad deals with visual information and can visualise images from long term memory and distances, (also known as the inner eye).

My teacher marked my answer and only gave me 2 marks out of 6. :confused:
It's a 6 mark question, how much more detail does she expect?! Or am I being stupid...
Reply 1
Original post by HauteCouture

Baddeley and Hitch created the WMM to resolve the over simplified multi-store model which they believed was not a valid enough model of memory. The Central executive is the key component of the model, in charge of the slave systems. It allocates, controls, and processes information. Next, the phonological loop (also known as the inner ear) deals with auditory information. It's further divided into the articulatory process (inner voice) converting written information into sound, and the phonological store. Furthermore, the visit spatial sketchpad deals with visual information and can visualise images from long term memory and distances, (also known as the inner eye).

It's a 6 mark question, how much more detail does she expect?! Or am I being stupid...

Well, you haven't actually said what the WMM is, e.g. it's an explanation of how the short term memory store consists of several sub stores - and as such only focuses on the STM.

You also haven't actually said what the slave systems are. Although describing them; you haven't directly said that they were the slave systems. E.g.-
'The CE is the key part, and still has a relatively vague role, although involved in attention, correcting, and allocating information to the slave systems of which it controls. These slave systems are the articulatory phonological loop and the visual spatial sketchpad. The APL is the temporary store of acoustic information, and may be involved in tasks such as recalling digits, while consisting of the phonological store (inner ear), and the articulatory process (inner voice). The VSS involves the inner eye, and is the temporary store of visual and spatial information, and as such may be involved in tasks such as navigation.'

You are also allowed to draw small diagrams in the exam to answer the question. This may help to display the process. Just ensure that you include descriptions of the components.

If this doesn't help; just ask the teacher.:yy:

That's terrible, you answer not that she gave you 2 marks.

For those 6 marks you need to (Or at least I recommend) do 50-75 words on the Central Executive, then on Phonological loop (Including phonological store articulatory loop) and then on the Visuo-Spatial Sketch Pad. If you outline and explain all of those in depth and maybe add a short example for each then you'll get 6/6.
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your help!!
Thanks so much for your help!!

I'll try to find my answer for it, only got like 8/12 for that question but it was alright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending