The Student Room Group

A-level subjects.

I'm currently in year 11, and it's time to start applying for sixth forms and colleges. However, the issue with that is that I don't know what I want to study.

Personally I'm thinking of studying medicine in the future. So I know 100% that I'm taking biology and chemistry.

However this obviously leaves me with two other options. I've been thinking about geography, geology, economics, sociology, psychology, or RE.

Any of your suggestions would be really helpful, and if you've taken any of these subjects, if you could tell me what they're like I would be really grateful.

Thanks!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I hope you are aware that most unis want three sciences and a contrasting subject. Therefore you must take:

- Biology, Chemistry, Maths + other
OR
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics + other

I would advise you to take Maths and then either Geography or RS or a language. Most people won't do that and so it gives you an edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just like he said. u should do Core Maths for your A lvls. For AS level, still leaves you one more option to take, unfortunetly i m not doing medicine so i dont really know, but my friend takes physics for the last one. So, get some suggestions for the last one from others. Remember! Core Math will help you with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Although having Maths would keep open all the medical schools, do not take it if you do not enjoy it/think you will get a good grade in it.

Biology + Chemistry is absolutely fine for most Medicine courses. Personally I think that RE, Sociology, or Psychology would all be very interesting subjects and would really round your application off. They'll show that you can think about society and the human mind - very applicable in Medicine!

Is your RE course just Religious Studies or is is Religious Studies & Philosophy? If it includes Philosophy then it would be fantastic for interviews, the BMAT, etc.

Good luck! The best A level choices are the choices you thoroughly enjoy learning about and doing. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucia001
I'm currently in year 11, and it's time to start applying for sixth forms and colleges. However, the issue with that is that I don't know what I want to study.

Personally I'm thinking of studying medicine in the future. So I know 100% that I'm taking biology and chemistry.

However this obviously leaves me with two other options. I've been thinking about geography, geology, economics, sociology, psychology, or RE.

Any of your suggestions would be really helpful, and if you've taken any of these subjects, if you could tell me what they're like I would be really grateful.

Thanks!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Biology, Chemistry, Maths + Economics would be good for you. Your options which you've given suggest that you enjoy human sciences (Economics etc), so if ever you wanted to back out of medicine you could always go for an economics degree or a science one (with either Biology + Chemistry) quite easily.

But in reality if you want to medicine for sure Biology and Chemistry are necessities, + Physics / Maths, and the other should be a facilitating subject (typically most people who apply for medicine would do a contrasting one, ie a non science), so from your list that could be Geography, Economics or RE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Thanks!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are considering medicine you would be best off taking maths. I know its not one of your preferred options but its a subject that the majority of universities look for in applicants.

At the moment I study psychology and geography and I really enjoy them,both have quite a few essay based questions involved so think about whether this is right for you.Psychology tends to be split into 3 sections, cognitive (memory), developmental (attachment) and research methods. There is a lot of case studies and you and need to explain and evaluate them. Geography continues from GCSE but in more depth.Economics or religious studies would be a good contrast between the science subjects and give you completely different topics.
I'd pick biology, chemistry,maths and then psychology if you are almost certain that you want to want to do medicine. If its only a possible career then keep your options open and take a range of subjects that you are good at or enjoy.
Hope it helps! 😄
Best advice I can give you, is to not choose both English and Mathematical subjects.
Either stick to subjects such as physics, maths, chemistry where you have straight forward answers.
Or go for subjects like English, Business, Psychology.
As the two types of a levels require different skills and it's really hard to master the mathematical logical subjects and the analytical subjects.
:biggrin:
RS!!! If it's philosophy and ethics it's brilliant.

I also want to apply to medicine and take bio, chem, maths, and RS.

RS is my favourite and it helps when thinking about medical ethics (a favourite topic for uni interviews)
Sociology, Geology and Psychology (though less so than the other two) may be less favoured by universities

Thanks!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id do biology, chemistry, geography and economics.
Have you considered doing maths?
At the end of the day choose subjects that you think you have the capacity to do well in - not necessarily the ones people say you should because certain Universities like to see it. They'd much rather you get good grades in Bio, Chem, Socio and Psych than only have two decent grades and two mediocre or failing grades because you chose subjects you aren't good at or don't like.

It's your choice but my advice would to choose subjects you enjoy and are good at, outside of the required Biology and Chemistry. I do Sociology and Psychology, both quite interesting and applicable to studying medicine and potentially provide options outside of a medical degree, if you changed your mind or something like that.
Geography could be another option, some places count it as a third science, it's considered a facilitating subject (respected/not too easy) but would also provide a bit of a break from a very traditional science heavy timetable.

If you are completely against doing Maths, be aware that some institutions may not take you or you could find it more difficult to get a place. Some advice would be to look at the course online for several universities you are considering and see what you need and what subjects they recommend.

Alternatively, contact Admissions tutors or similarly title university professionals and get their opinions or suggestions. I hope this little essay has been helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending