The Student Room Group

Alevel ICT info1 sample coursework

What do I need to include to get at least an A in the sample c/w

please panicing
Analysis:
Outline of the business
Analyse existing system what is it? How does it work? What are the problems with it?
Identify the client
Identify the user discuss ICT skills, discuss health & safety requirements
Identify the audience discuss health & safety requirements
Evidence data capture methods
Analyse the results of the data capture and discuss the method’s suitability for purpose
Produce a list of the client’s requirements
Interpret these as input, process & output (this is the table but should be linked to the client’s requirements)
Design:
Select design tools and techniques discuss which you will be using
Discuss the scope of your project explain exactly what you are going to do
Discuss your inputs what you are going to need to acquire for your system and where you’re going to get them
Design the processes of the system this is the visual, annoted layouts
Design your outputs working backwards design any outputs from your system, discussing sequences where appropriate
Identify any limitations you are likely to encounter
you don't need all this - you are only allowed to take 20 pages into the exam with you.
You need analysis - background to the business, describe what the client wants, what the current system does, problems with current system, client/user/audience, their skills, list of client requirements, requirements interpreted as an input - process - output table

Then a test plan that has a selection of tests covering:
validity of data input (covering typical, extreme and erroneous data)
accuracy of output
presentation of output
client requirement testing
user and audience testing
Followed by screenshot evidence of these tests.

All of these tests are documented in the specification. You will be asked questions specifically on these types of testing. You do not have to test everything - I suggest my students do a minimum of 2-3 of each type.
You do not need any design diagrams, no evaluation.
That is why it is called SAMPLE WORK - it is a sample out of a bigger piece of work. It is up to the teacher if they insist you create a fully complete and documented system but it doesn't need to go into the exam like that. I always use spreadsheets as sample work as it is the easiest one to cover all the criteria.

Hope this helps.
Also, you don't get a grade for INFO1 coursework - you take the work into the exam with you and answer questions about it. If you don't have the relevant section in your sample, even if you answer a question perfectly, you will not get marks without any evidence. Look at an old exam paper - it is usually either question 5 or 6 and around 20-25 marks out of the 80 available on the paper.
Reply 4
Original post by Whitbywendy
you don't need all this - you are only allowed to take 20 pages into the exam with you.
You need analysis - background to the business, describe what the client wants, what the current system does, problems with current system, client/user/audience, their skills, list of client requirements, requirements interpreted as an input - process - output table

Then a test plan that has a selection of tests covering:
validity of data input (covering typical, extreme and erroneous data)
accuracy of output
presentation of output
client requirement testing
Followed by screenshot evidence of these tests.

All of these tests are documented in the specification. You will be asked questions specifically on these types of testing. You do not have to test everything - I suggest my students do a minimum of 2-3 of each type.
You do not need any design diagrams, no evaluation.
That is why it is called SAMPLE WORK - it is a sample out of a bigger piece of work. It is up to the teacher if they insist you create a fully complete and documented system but it doesn't need to go into the exam like that. I always use spreadsheets as sample work as it is the easiest one to cover all the criteria.

Hope this helps.

What is

accuracy of output

presentation of output

If you are doing a spreadsheet then accuracy of output would check that all formulae work correctly and it can be checked by using a calculator.
presentation of output is how it looks - e.g. does it fit on one sheet of paper, A4 format, landscape etc. or are all the fonts the right size, colour, type etc.
user testing - choose some of the requirements and get a user to test them e.g. being able to click a button to sort a list into a different order..
Audience testing - e.g. being able to view the spreadsheet and click buttons to move between different sheets but not change anything.

Hope this helps.
Reply 6
If you are doing a spreadsheet then accuracy of output would check that all formulae work correctly and it can be checked by using a calculator.
presentation of output is how it looks - e.g. does it fit on one sheet of paper, A4 format, landscape etc. or are all the fonts the right size, colour, type etc.
user testing - choose some of the requirements and get a user to test them e.g. being able to click a button to sort a list into a different order..
Audience testing - e.g. being able to view the spreadsheet and click buttons to move between different sheets but not change anything.

Hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I am screwed for the sample work i take in on the exam as my info 1 teacher has left the school year half way. Our project is on Mr Smith business spreadsheet or whatever. I seek urgent help, i have started the testing table but still unsure a bit. I don't have much idea of what the questions could be on in the exam regarding our sample work. If you could help, please.

Thanks.
I have attached 2 documents - one containing a lot of the questions that relate to sample work from some of the older exam papers. You should be able to find more recent papers online. It is usually question number 5.

I have also attached an example of how to answer some questions based on a scenario I did with my students a few years ago - about creating an electronic markbook for a maths teacher at our school.

This should help you out a bit.

Regards
Wendy
Reply 8
I have attached 2 documents - one containing a lot of the questions that relate to sample work from some of the older exam papers. You should be able to find more recent papers online. It is usually question number 5.

I have also attached an example of how to answer some questions based on a scenario I did with my students a few years ago - about creating an electronic markbook for a maths teacher at our school.

Regards
Wendy

Thanks very much Wendy. I am doing the sample work now, am stuck now users skills? How do i find this out?

Also another question, the background of the business and list of client requirements interpreted as input process output table is already given to me by the exam board. Do i put this into my sample work, or do i recreate this?

Thanks.

Regards
Wendy

Thank youu!! Do you have an analysis of sample work questions for INFO 3?

Thanks
There isn't any sample work for INFO3. There is pre-release material which came out in March and this should give you ideas on what to research and find things out. 2018 has blockchain technology, recovery options, GDPR etc. About half of the exam paper will relate to the scenario given. There is another thread on here that I have attached some potential questions for this. I don't have any answers though as my students do their own and research it themselves. Search for AQA INFO3.

Quick Reply

Latest