The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can't recall ever seeing anythign saying that you have to use one method or another - as long as it does the job it says in the spec then I don't see an issue.

It's probably a technique worth learning though if you have the time.

Basic query calculations mean typing in something of the form

net pay:0.75*[gross pay]

into a free column in the QBE grid (query design view mode)

where gross pay is the name of the field you want to work with.

You'll also need to do an Iif (double i at the beginning) as the actual figure will depend on whether they're tax exempt or not.

HTH
hi. i have finished my coursework, but i am up to the report stage..how did you lay out your report?
Reply 22
how on earth do you do the data flow diagram for this c/k?

i'm completing baffed as my teacher has had loads of time off & we havent been given a replacement teacher. Also i need help on the process/query designs & input & output designs.
Reply 23
hello
can anyone out there can help me with UKAB examiner payment coursework, im really dont no wat to do!!!

can anyone send me a copy of they coursework or tell me how to do it pleaseeeeeeeeee.:smile:
Reply 24
sulez_raz
hey everyone who is doing this should come and talk to each other about Module 3 of the AS course as to many it is confusing, trust me I did it last year and in the last week before the exams. If you want i can post my AS Computing Module 3 database (MS Access) from last year, if you need any help just post your replies to me.
Thanks!

hello Sulez_raz
could you send me the MOdule 3 computing please!! u can send it to my e-mail [email protected] thankssss if u can do that for me that will be very helpfulllll
Reply 25
Hi, looking for a bit of help with the payslip part of the coursework- doing it in access.

I created a query to calculate tax, net pay, gross pay etc. but it kept requesting parameters for the No. Of scripts (total scripts marked by each examiner) in the end I just did it a different way and then I ended up with the gross pay for each examiner from each college.

To get around this i created another query which gave a total for this (the way i wanted to do it the first time) but now it asks for the parameter value for gross pay when I open it up.

It'll actually work this time but now I've tried to create a report it asks again for the gross pay parameter value and then uses this throught the report.

To get around this I created an equation in the report but it keeps coming up with:

syntax error in query expression '[Gross Pay = ([Subject Query]]![No of Scripts]*[Subject Query]![[Payment]+95)]'

Help? I can't think of anything else to go to try and fix this.
There's a square bracket in the wrong place.

[Gross Pay] = ([Subject Query]]![No of Scripts]*[Subject Query]![[Payment]+95)
Reply 27
i'm doing same thing, can someone post full design , implementation , for this thing , please????????
Nope - its an EXAM!!
Reply 29
teachercol
Nope - its an EXAM!!

it's not an exam it's course work
Reply 30
heavenalex

can someone post access file for UKab?

I'm dieing here
heavenalex

Not exactly. You will be expected to produce a documentated working system which complies with the predefined specification. However, you will actually be sitting an examination whereby you will be tested on your systems ability to meet the requirements and also the depth of your documentation to successfully record testing, evidence etc ...
heavenalex
can someone post access file for UKab?

I'm dieing here

You need to really be doing the Access file yourself, or at least with some guided support, in the examination you will be asked numerous times to explain your specific choices for designing your system, and if you are unable to comprehend how your database interacts you wont be achieving any marks regardless of how effective the actual Access file is.
Reply 33
teachercol
There's a square bracket in the wrong place.

Thanks for the responce but its still not working. Any other suggestions?
Reply 34
Maybe I've misunderstood it but it looks like you still have some square brackets wrong:

should be

[Gross Pay] = ([Subject Query]![No of Scripts]*[Subject Query]![Payment]+95)

i.e. you've got a double ]] and [[ in there at present!

HTH
Reply 35
iainmacn
Maybe I've misunderstood it but it looks like you still have some square brackets wrong:

should be

[Gross Pay] = ([Subject Query]![No of Scripts]*[Subject Query]![Payment]+95)

i.e. you've got a double ]] and [[ in there at present!

HTH

I've tried this and its still coming up requesting unexpected parameters.
I suspect you are getting unexpect parameter requests because you don't have the required query.

I take it you do not have query builder, because if you use it to assemble the expression you should be able to SEE the query expressions that you DO have.

HTH
The terms in square brackets need to match exactly with the names of your fields and queries. Check for extra spaces.
Reply 38
hi will anyone be able to help me i have to have this finished by thursday and the last bit of implementation i getting me, I have this statement in my report for the final cost it goes like this

=((95)+Sum([payment for marking]*[Number of Candidates]))*0.22

it works fine but the problem is i cnt get it to do tax reductions i have attempted many times trying to turn it into an iff statment for example this was what i attempted

Iff[Examiner]![Tax Deduction Flag]=no,((95)+Sum([payment for marking]*[Number of Candidates]))*0.22

but to no avail any help will be appreciated.
Reply 39
ah okay straypussy, thought you meant it was still givign the syntax error. Yes - a required field is not available for some reason. Is the table it comes from in your query, and if it is, have you spelt it right?

Gus - it's Iif not Iff. The brackets are all wrong, and you need

Iif ( condition, value if true, value if false )

so if condition is that the flag is set to no (no deduction?) then it'll just be rate * number of scripts plus 95, otherwise the same thing with *0.78

(unless you're trying to work out the tax)

have a look on the help under Iif for more details

Latest

Trending

Trending