The Student Room Group

Bunking school (a levels)

Hi, when I first started my a-levels I was really motivated to go in everyday and work, then I got down about the fact that chemistry was so so hard and I found myself starting to take days off on the days the subject was on my timetable. I dropped the subject and picked up philosophy, which motivated me again to go in everyday but recently I have been skipping a few days when I feel really tired and now it's got to the point where I have to force myself to go in (I usually go in 4 days a week rather than 5)....

I am scared that the school will end up kicking me out considering my attendance is pretty bad, but I am smarter than most people in the class based on the grade differentiation and these people go into school everyday! Thats what is weird, I am still able to keep up to date with my work and even do more and better than them people with 100% attendance. Would the school be understanding because of this, if I am able to produce all the work I have been doing the days I am taking off?

Anyone else share the same problem or have any advice/help to give me?
Hi, I was in a bit of a pickle answering this to start with as I thought you were trolling and asking us to legitimise your truancy :tongue: however, it seems you are very stressed :frown: well I've got to say the school won't really approve of you 'bunking' for much longer, nor will employers lol! Justifying it by saying you're smarter (even if it's true) is not going to cut it either, and may come across as entitled. Best not dig yourself a hole. :redface:

However, if you inform them of the reason ASAP and be genuinely remorseful about it (stress, anxiety, depression, problems at home and illness being often causes for legitimate poor attendance) then they will be able to help you much better, get you to see a counsellor/learning mentor and such :smile:

a lot of this depends on, if you are otherwise fine just cba going into school, or having real trouble coping in general.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Hi, I was in a bit of a pickle answering this to start with as I thought you were trolling and asking us to legitimise your truancy :tongue: however, it seems you are very stressed :frown: well I've got to say the school won't really approve of you 'bunking' for much longer, nor will employers lol! Justifying it by saying you're smarter (even if it's true) is not going to cut it either, and may come across as entitled. Best not dig yourself a hole. :redface:

However, if you inform them of the reason ASAP and be genuinely remorseful about it (stress, anxiety, depression, problems at home and illness being often causes for legitimate poor attendance) then they will be able to help you much better, get you to see a counsellor/learning mentor and such :smile:

a lot of this depends on, if you are otherwise fine just cba going into school, or having real trouble coping in general.

I agree.
Reply 3
I was the same at mine. All hyped up and then it went downhill. Religious studies was compulsory regardless of ethnicity or religious beliefs. So I was doing AS RS, A2 Maths, A2 Further maths, AS Biology, AS Chemistry and AS physics. I couldn't handle going to the school even though I could handle the workload and missing school (the social side of I couldn't deal with, I didn't want to see those people, I didn't fit in and I didn't like them) (I recently transferred) (the building and rules and environment I didn't like it but I had no choice) and then the fact that teaching was so bad and the students were just really really mehh and they kept pestering me for help with hw during my 30mins lunch break (yh it's that short to eat and do my hw let alone help others) and then I got depression and I completely dropped out of school now. Try stick with staying in school though. I completely messed up. My attendance was getting so bad it was either waiting for them to kick me out or me to withdraw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaizack
Hi, when I first started my a-levels I was really motivated to go in everyday and work, then I got down about the fact that chemistry was so so hard and I found myself starting to take days off on the days the subject was on my timetable. I dropped the subject and picked up philosophy, which motivated me again to go in everyday but recently I have been skipping a few days when I feel really tired and now it's got to the point where I have to force myself to go in (I usually go in 4 days a week rather than 5)....

I am scared that the school will end up kicking me out considering my attendance is pretty bad, but I am smarter than most people in the class based on the grade differentiation and these people go into school everyday! Thats what is weird, I am still able to keep up to date with my work and even do more and better than them people with 100% attendance. Would the school be understanding because of this, if I am able to produce all the work I have been doing the days I am taking off?

That's not a good idea, really. If your attendance gets so bad they could end up giving you a reference for UCAS.
Hey, I basically did the same as you have done last year and I know exactly how you feel. To the point that my attendance went down to around 73% (I think) but as long as you speak to someone about your issues and you actually end up with good grades at as you should be fine! I didn't do the best but they didn't care, as long as you don't get u's and start getting yourself back in to a routine. Plus I know how hard philosophy is (well it was for me haha!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by daisychain_
That's not a good idea, really. If your attendance gets so bad they could end up giving you a reference for UCAS.

Exactly my problem now cuz I left my schools with a bad impression and I have no one to do my ref now
Original post by jadys10
Exactly my problem now cuz I left my schools with a bad impression and I have no one to do my ref now

No one at all? No teachers you got on with, any previous employers?
Reply 8
Original post by daisychain_
No one at all? No teachers you got on with, any previous employers?

Yeah not exactly any I could ask for help. I've only ever had one job and it's at my parents so I can't use that. I'm taking a gap yr next yr hopefully to fix all this crap that's happened and apply next September. It's never gonna happen this yr with my crap grades and the very few teachers that even though liked me before will not care about me because I've left in a bad way, first one I don't wanna talk about it, second one dropped out
Two schools for alevels
A totally different school for gcses
Reply 9
Original post by Kaizack

I used to do this too last year.Before A-Levels I loved my school but during the last year I just loathed the place and I started missing a lot of days.My advice would be to show up occasionally and make appearances.If your grades are still good it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest