The Student Room Group

Do universities take longer to respond to access students?

My tracking only started Monday and I'm becoming increasingly impatient waiting for offers. I had some reassurance from people saying offers are quick from some of the universities I've applied to but I have a fear this may only be the case for a level students. What are your experiences?
Reply 1
Original post by GeorginaLucienne
My tracking only started Monday and I'm becoming increasingly impatient waiting for offers. I had some reassurance from people saying offers are quick from some of the universities I've applied to but I have a fear this may only be the case for a level students. What are your experiences?

When people say "X uni responds quickly", what they normally mean is, "when I applied, I got a quick response". Most universities are very large organisations. Within each university, you have different schools, and within each school, different departments. In most cases, each department will be responsible for its own admissions. So just because someone somewhere got a quick response for their application isn't likely to mean very much to anyone else, especially if you're applying to a different department.

Each department will have its own procedures. It seems unlikely they would bother to go through and pick out all the Access course students, but then perhaps they want a certain number of Access students and that is the best way to compare. Who knows.

In my experience, they get back to you when they get back to you. The agonising wait and refreshing Track every hour is all part of the experience.
I'm an access student and one uni replied to me on the same day my application was sent off! Another 2 replied to following week and the last one took two weeks. It depends what uni you're applying to and also what course. I think generally those that need interviews tend to get back quicker than those that are offering you a place.
But they definitely won't take any longer just because of the course you are currently studying!

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've found some will take a little longer as colleges can't give out grade predictions straight away like they can with a level/btec students. I had an email from bristol saying they were holding onto mine until my referee could send grade predictions. Saying that I've also had an offer so I guess it depends on the uni.
Not particularly. It takes just as long or same amount as it would for an a level student. Although I got my offer on the day at my uni! I sent off my UCAS I think around 10am and got my offer at 6pm that evening :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends I sent mine off on the Friday the Monday I got 2 offers and the following Monday an offer but other people in my class have heard nothing so I do think it depends on the Uni and the course. I know on my course the people who want to do pharmacy have heard nothing which is unsurprising as it's terribly competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linnyloo87
I think it depends I sent mine off on the Friday the Monday I got 2 offers and the following Monday an offer but other people in my class have heard nothing so I do think it depends on the Uni and the course. I know on my course the people who want to do pharmacy have heard nothing which is unsurprising as it's terribly competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've found that it will take longer with the more top universities as they tend to want predicted grades which they can't get straight away from access students. I have got two offers but the more higher ranked universities are the ones im still waiting for. Bristol actually emailed me specifically saying they wanted to hold me application until February so they could get grade predictions from my tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending