Bicep curl.

We're talking single dumbell.

30 reps.
Reply 21
JimmyJJ
Bicep curl.

We're talking single dumbell.

30 reps.

80 kilos. Any less than that and you're a pussy.
Reply 22
80 kg?

**** off mate lol.

Just curious that's all.
Reply 23
Ha ha ha, I dunno, seriously. It depends on your size, really, and the sort of training you've been doing. For an average 5'10" 170lb guy, for example, I would say 30 reps of bicep curls with a 15k dumbbell would probably be a reasonably high weight. I dunno, I have trouble guessing what sort of weight is reasonable at really high rep ranges like those.

EDIT: OK, I'm going to change my answer, because I just tried it and it was damn easy. I'd say probably a 20k dumbbell is a high weight for 30 reps if you weighed 170lbs and were 5'10".
Reply 24
A mate of mine said to increase muscle mass quickly i should try do 3 sets, 5 reps each on a heavy weight. Is there any truth in what he's saying?

I'm doing 1 set ofr 30 reps on 10kg at the mo. Might try out his theory as they are making me toned but not as big as i'd like.
Reply 25
30 reps is going to do bugger all for muscle mass.

As for his 3x5 idea... yes and no. It will build muscle fibre well, but not muscle mass.

Basically, there are 2 types of muscle growth. Myrofibril and sarcoplasmic.

Myrofibril hypertrophy (growth) occurs in lower rep ranges (say 1-5 reps) where you're lifting really heavy weight near your max. Your body thinks "wow, this weight is insanely heavy, I need to grow more, stronger muscle to be able to handle it. Don't need to produce so much cushioning though, since I'm only doing very few reps." Thus, myrofibrils (muscle fibres) are the predominant type of growth when working in these rep ranges.

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy occurs when working in rep ranges of 8-12, generally. You're working with lighter weight so you can squeeze that many reps out, so your body is thinking "hmmmmmm, that's not too heavy since I can get 12 reps out of it, so I only need to grow a little bit of muscle fibre since I won't need to handle very heavy weight, but if I'm going to be doing that many reps then I'm going to need more cushioning and an ability to produce more reps." Thus sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (growth of the sarcoplasmic fluid inside the muscle) will occur. So basically, working in lower rep ranges, such as 5 rep sets, will actually grow you more muscle fibre, but working in 8-12 rep sets will make you gain more muscle mass, although a far greater proportion of it will be sarcoplasmic fluid, so you will be weaker, although you will look bigger and stronger.
Reply 26
K cheers, you appear to know your ****.

So i should be getting myself some heavier weights then?

My arms are pretty big already, but don't seem to be getting any bigger.

What do you suggest then?

Say heavy weights for 1-5 and then some medium weights for 8-12?
Reply 27
If you want to get stronger, work in the 1-5 rep range. If you want to get bigger at a faster rate, but stronger at a slower rate, work in the 8-12 rep range.

I would also suggest forgetting about isolating your arms. You don't need to. Your workout doesn't need anything other than deadlifts, bench press, squats, weighted pullups, weighted dips, rows, clean and press and shoulder presses.

In short, get your ass down a gym, because unless you have a decent home setup, you're not going to be able to lift heavy enough to build any decent mass.

I would also recommend working each body part 2 or 3 times a week, with 4-6 sets per body part.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

That's a pretty good article, and will give you a good starting point towards putting together an effective muscle building workout.
Reply 28
Cheers for the advice bud.

I get to the gym every now and again.

Play a lot of sport so see that as my main form of exercise, but would like to increase the size of my arms a bit.

Going to try get some heavier weights methinks!
Reply 29
To be honest, you'll need a lot of space to get the weights you need, and it will cost you a fair bit of cash. I seriously recommend the gym.

It's very difficult to bulk just the arms up without gaining mass on the rest of the body. The body wants to grow as a unit, so if the larger muscles stay proportionately small, then smaller muscles like the triceps and biceps just don't want to grow.

Equally, if you hit larger muscle groups with compound lifts, the ancillary muscles will grow proportionately.

I have arms proportionate in size to the rest of my body, and I haven't done any bicep or tricep isolation in ages, they just grow because they assist the chest and back with heavy lifts.
Reply 30
:hmmmm: Since when did I ask about weights?:p:
Reply 31
It would be stupid to not want to know about weights. They're much better than cardiovascular exercise for fat loss, which seems to be one of your objectives.
Reply 32
JimmyJJ
I can't find the self teach thread :smile:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=252943 :smile:
Reply 33
Squelchy
It would be stupid to not want to know about weights. They're much better than cardiovascular exercise for fat loss, which seems to be one of your objectives.

But I dont know the first thing, you two are talking about 20 steps ahead of me, I am an ultimate beginner. I was thinking of getting some little weights to use when I am on the bike for my arms and getting those leg weights you strap around your ankles.
Reply 34
You'd be better off joining the gym, seriously. Light weights will help, but not a great deal. You're better off using heavier weights. Physiologically it's nigh impossible for women to bulk up, unless they're taking steroidal supplements.. Working out with weights will get you toned much faster than doing a lot of cardio, and you'll look better at the end.
Reply 35
Good, I dont want to bulk up:p:

I wont be joining the gym until after January at least.
Reply 37
For your purposes, this one will be fine:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3008250/Trail/C%24cip%3D42222.Sports%2Band%2Bleisure%3EC%24cip%3D42273.Home%2Bgym%2Bequipment%3EC%24cip%3D42286.Weights%2Band%2Bdumbells.htm

I have it (albeit with other bars and a ton of other plates), and they're not bad, although the spinlocks on the dumbbells come loose a bit.

Still, 50 kilos should definitely be enough for what you'd need it for. I'd be surprised if any of your lifts advanced beyond 50 kilos for reps, apart from perhaps deadlifts, but then you're not going for mass, so it doesn't really matter.
Reply 38
I wont be able to lift more than a few kgs :redface:
Reply 39
At first, no, but you'll soon find your strength increases. You'd be surprised what you might end up lifting. I mean, deadlifting for example. You should be able to lift 50 kilos for a few reps, I'd imagine.

I'd go for that set. It's cheap, and gives you a lot of wiggle room to set up various different weights for different exercises, rather than just a few light dumbbells which will be too light and utterly pointless.

Latest

Trending

Trending