The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What is deadlifting? :confused:
Right, you've got an excercise bike. Thats one problem sorted, now you just have to use it. Don't listen to these kids telling you that you "have to go to the gym" and "you have to do this and that". Just get on and ride it (ahem) for 20-30 minutes at a rate such that you are sweating and have a red face. This means you are raising your heart rate, and this is what you need to do if you want to increase your fitness. As the weeks progress you should cycle for longer. This will keep on improving your fitness. Try and mix it up witha bit of running when you start to feel fitter. However, you say you want to use it every day- i think this is not such a good idea, as you have to give your body time to repair from your last workout. if you work out hard enough one day, then your body will make you like not working out again the next day. 30 minutes mon, wed and fri- job done.
Reply 42
It has a pulse sensor on it and in the book it tells you to cycle at a certain pulse depending on your age for 12-20 minutes so I will know when my heart rate is increasing. At rest my pulse is 72 which is apparently really low:redface:
Reply 43
kirstinx
What is deadlifting? :confused:

Deadlifting is when you have a barbell (or dumbbells) on the ground, and you crouch down, pick it up, straighten your legs out, thus bringing the weight up, and when your legs are straight, you straighten your back out. One of the best (if not the best) exercises out there.

http://www.protraineronline.com/past/nov15/images/deadlift.jpg
gas_panic!
Don't listen to these kids telling you that you "have to go to the gym" and "you have to do this and that".

Of course she doesn't "have" to go to the gym, but doing so, and working out with weights as well as a variety of cardio machines will help her reach her goals faster and more efficiently than sticking with just the exercise bike.
Reply 44
And you are? A stalker?
Reply 45
kirstinx
And you are? A stalker?

Yes, but I only stalk celebrities.
Reply 46
I wasnt talking to you!
Reply 47
Shame. :frown:
Reply 48
Well I went 5.6miles today in 20 minutes. I dont know whether that is good or bad:redface:
Reply 49
Depends what setting it's on.
Reply 50
Well...it's an average of 16.8mph. Which is a good pace for 20 minutes, but it depends if it was on a resistance or if there was none.
kirstinx
Well I went 5.6miles today in 20 minutes. I dont know whether that is good or bad:redface:

Well did you feel that you could have kept up that rate for another 10 mins? If yes, then no it's not good.
Reply 52
Yes there was resistance, it was on settings 2 and 3 of 7.

I couldn't have gone any further.
Good, good.
Reply 54
Chances are thats pretty poor.

But it's the first time you've done exercise.

You can't expect to be fit. Keep it up and you'll laugh at how crap you were.
Reply 55
Just read your 'Self Teach' thread.

Wierd.
I just read through the thread, and I agree with Squelchy most of the time...

You really should go to the gym, because cardio only will not be the most efficient training, neither will gym alone... So, you should go to the gym, and it is not embarrasing to go there, there are all kinds of people there, some are female, some are male, some are fat, some are tall, some are short, some are very muscular, some are beginners, some are competing in weightlifting etc. Though it would be good if you had a friend to go with that can show you all exercises etc. And don't make excuses gym is too far away - 20 min jogging (or walk) is nice warm-up=)

Deadlift, and yes I believe you'll manage 50kg on this one (I mean most people in my class can do between 1.5 and 2 times their bodyweight)
Reply 57
Deadlifts can really make you hurt after a heavy session!
haha, yeah I know!!! I happened to be deadlifting yesterday, and then today I tried to show a friend how to do them, and it didn't feel _that_ good...

p.s. what is your 1 rep max in deadlift? *curious* (mine is 135kg and I am 179cm 74kg)
Reply 59
Last time I tried maxing I got 460lbs, when I was weighing about 167/168. I'm stronger and heavier now, so I reckon I could probably manage to deadlift 480.

I do powerlifting though, not bodybuilding, so it stands to reason my lifts would be better.

Latest

Trending

Trending