The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kirstinx
Where are you applying Triplet?

I dont no really for this course MAYBE swansea but i dont really no anything about the uni so i'll find out about it adn maybe some other unis that do this course.

Anyone know of any??
Reply 21
Keele and Lancaster work on a modular system so you would be able to do either a Psychology degree with Law modules or a Law degree with Psychology modules. If you done a Psychology with degree you would get the exemptions and if you chose your Law modules correctly you would get exemptions, vice versa.
Reply 22
kirstinx
Keele and Lancaster work on a modular system so you would be able to do either a Psychology degree with Law modules or a Law degree with Psychology modules. If you done a Psychology with degree you would get the exemptions and if you chose your Law modules correctly you would get exemptions, vice versa.

cool thank you.

what about any palces around the bristrol are?? :biggrin:
Swansea looks a nice option.

You get professional accreditation X 2 and do it all in a regular 3 year timeframe!! Awesome :biggrin:
Reply 24
bookshifter

You get professional accreditation X 2 and do it all in a regular 3 year timeframe!! Awesome :biggrin:

What made you defer your offer?
kirstinx
What made you defer your offer?

Hi kirstinx,

Slightly long story ...............

I really was pretty mixed up.

On one hand I had an offer to study law at an AAA intake university and yet on the other I had loads of self doubt. About my age, about my prospects and about debt. I currently live in London and I was scared to relocate and truth be told I have an easy life and a comfort zone that I did not want to break out of, yet it is a zone that I had outstayed my welcome in and was leading me nowhere.

I thought that I had no chance of getting a (solicitors) training contract, just based on my background and comparing myself with the LLB studying youth of today with all their A's and gold stars, without giving myself the opportunity to go and study. The reports I was hearing about the struggle for TC's were really putting me off, the competition appeared too fierce and I didn't think about law for 7/8 months (and I stayed away from :tsr2: during that period).

For me the reason to return to Uni was for it to be a stepping stone to a better new career that I desperately want. What I didn't want to happen was for me to study hard and get a decent 2.1 and do the costly LPC and still be excluded because of my past history (eg 16 UCAS points). Everyone says that 'mature students' are viewed differently by employers, I seem to be the sole person that has this doubt, I mean why choose me, a (future) battle scarred 32 yo over a polished and gleaming 22 yo, whenever people give me answers I really fail to be convinced because truth be told if I was a recruiter I would probably side with the 22yo at least 90% of the time.

I still had some false pride in my 20k accounts job and I was scared to leave that security. Also at 27 it was time to be thinking about mortgages and looking forward to starting a family etc, it is isn't ideal to be going back to Uni. I had some social concerns too, I am not really a drinker and I am a loner by nature so I was potentially leaving myself vulnerable, I am sometimes frighteningly naive, a bit too sheltered, maybe. I will have to overcome all that. I usually run away from challenges but not any more ..........

Then to cut my story short, I decided that since no other jobs were coming in and that I need to change my ways I would then go to Uni with no reservations. At this point though it was the last week in August and previously in my confused state I had written to Southampton asking to defer. Then in the first week of September I was told that I was ok for 07/08 entry :biggrin: . I guess that suited me ..... a chance to breathe and then go for it .... my friends note my lack of ambition as a real stumbling block ....... dunno whether I am cut-throat enough to survive being a solicitor ..... I'll have to change and learn from those with the gift of the gab.

Now I intend to look for some legal work experience. I am going to start a legal secretary correspondance course (even though I am a guy). I plan to give up my accounts job by Xmas. The slight delay will allow me to get some experience and maybe save a little more ££. Then once I start at Southampton I will study and if I don't get the rub of the green I can still be a paralegal or a legal sec and I will find that employer who will place their faith in me and give me a TC eventually and if it still doesn't happen I will know that I have tried and I have gave myself a chance and I didn't give up on myself too soon.

The countdown to October 07 begins ..........

I hope this answers your question Kirstin, thanks for asking!
Reply 26
bookshifter

yeh i no thats what i thought but i think the degree is 4 years so its slightly longer.
Triplet1
yeh i no thats what i thought but i think the degree is 4 years so its slightly longer.

From the Swansea link given by mtbab

Joint Honours LL.B in Law & Psychology (CM8I) or B.Sc Psychology & Law (CM8C)
These joint honours courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society. They are also accredited by both the Law Society and the Bar Council as a qualifying degree for the purposes of the legal profession, if an additional 10-credit short course in Law is taken in the second year, making 130 credits in that year, with the usual 120 credits in years 1 and 3. Taking 370 credits over three years thus gives accreditation with both professional bodies.

Looks like a 3yr course to me?

Maybe you prefer a 4yr course?
Psychology .... don't water down good law with that nancy rubbish, lol.
Reply 29
Was that really necessary?
Yes, I am offering sound advice. At what stage in a law career with psychology be useful and vice versa...
Reply 31
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yes, I am offering sound advice. At what stage in a law career with psychology be useful and vice versa...

maybe if you can't decide between law and psych at this stage and you like both so you keep your options open. Or it 20yrs down the line you want a change of scenery lol.
Reply 32
bookshifter
From the Swansea link given by mtbab

Joint Honours LL.B in Law & Psychology (CM8I) or B.Sc Psychology & Law (CM8C)
These joint honours courses are accredited by the British Psychological Society. They are also accredited by both the Law Society and the Bar Council as a qualifying degree for the purposes of the legal profession, if an additional 10-credit short course in Law is taken in the second year, making 130 credits in that year, with the usual 120 credits in years 1 and 3. Taking 370 credits over three years thus gives accreditation with both professional bodies.

Looks like a 3yr course to me?

Maybe you prefer a 4yr course?

:smile: Sorry dont no where i got 4 years from!

mtbab
maybe if you can't decide between law and psych at this stage and you like both so you keep your options open. Or it 20yrs down the line you want a change of scenery lol.

Exactly!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending