The Student Room Group

Intercalating Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Bristol

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help; I am a first yeat vet student at Liverpool and am thinking of intercalating Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Bristol after my second D100 year. I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions? Thank you in advance!

1) Intercalating on ABaW appealed to me partially as it gives you the academic qualifications to become a Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist. As you need practical experience (as set out on the website (http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/accred/cert.php), I was wondering if there is encouragement/a support system/database of contacts etc to help students complete the practical experience required to become a CAB in the course (along the lines of EMS support, though I know in ABaW the experience isn't compulsory like EMS), or is it all done independently by the student without university support?

2) I heard there are 2.5 days a week in terms of contact hours, and two days were full days. I was most likely planning on living in Bristol for the year and commuting to Langford on the 121 bus service. What do any of you think about this? A quick check of the bus timetable online shows that the earliest it can get to Langford is 9:30, so I wanted to check this would actually be feasible (i.e. there weren't 9:00 lectures). Also where ddid anyone who intercalated live themselves?

3) Am I correct in thinking that Langford-based students get a free bus pass for the 121?

4) Any general personal experiences of how it's different to the vet degree would be helpful, i.e. contact hours/independent work balance, type of independent work i.e. weekly tests or tasks or note writing or other things?

So yeah, just basically any overview of your experience would be great, and that of any intercalators from other universities?

Thanks everyone! :smile:
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
The ABW course at Bristol is good - its highly competitive to get onto as a result, and is well regarded.

Most of your questions could be answered via an email to Langford - but really, are you basing your choice on the availability of a bus pass?
Original post by Silverwolf
1) Intercalating on ABaW appealed to me partially as it gives you the academic qualifications to become a Certified Clinical Animal Behaviourist. As you need practical experience (as set out on the website (http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/accred/cert.php), I was wondering if there is encouragement/a support system/database of contacts etc to help students complete the practical experience required to become a CAB in the course (along the lines of EMS support, though I know in ABaW the experience isn't compulsory like EMS), or is it all done independently by the student without university support?

You need to contact the course co-ordinator.

2) I heard there are 2.5 days a week in terms of contact hours, and two days were full days. I was most likely planning on living in Bristol for the year and commuting to Langford on the 121 bus service. What do any of you think about this?

I wouldn't advise it, you would spend a good 30-60 minutes commuting each way depending upon the traffic and where you choose to live.

The vast majority of the 4th/5th year vets and ABW intercalators live out at Langford (most between Langford and Congresbury). Sure there isn't an awful lot out there but there is a good community feel and you would save a lot of time and money commuting and renting out there.

A quick check of the bus timetable online shows that the earliest it can get to Langford is 9:30, so I wanted to check this would actually be feasible (i.e. there weren't 9:00 lectures). Also where ddid anyone who intercalated live themselves?

You would have to contact the vet school.

I would loosely say that that it is true, most days my ABW housemate had a bit more of a lie in however that was not the case every day.

3) Am I correct in thinking that Langford-based students get a free bus pass for the 121?

Not as far as I am aware!

Certainly the vet school hires two coaches to run between the student union and Langford on most days but it isn't a public bus and there is just the one bus a day. Even if you have just a couple of hours of lectures in the morning you would have to wait until 5:30-6:00pm for the bus back to Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending