The Student Room Group

Friend wants to borrow £50?

One of my friends just asked me to borrow £50 and that he'd pay it back next week (he did say in a prior conversation that he can't wait till next week because his parents are giving him money). His family is pretty rich and he always buys designer stuff, and spent over £200 on a designer bag like a week ago. I'm pretty sure he's not literally out of food and wants some of the money for entertainment (drugs, nights out).
I think he'd pay back, but feel like he might try and drag it out and not give it to me next week meaning I'd have to ask again after the holidays etc. I usually avoid lending (unless someone's really in trouble), but recently had 'borrowed' £20 from this guy (it was in the form of splitting meals, I didn't ask but he just said he'd pay by card for ease), and it ended up being like 2 weeks till I paid him back because I literally hadn't seen him. So I'd feel like a massive ***** if I now refused to lend to him!
Oh, and I've got enough money lying around, I won't miss it or anything but will be pretty annoyed if I don't get it back.
Lend or not?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say lend, as long as you are 100% certain he will pay you back. Don't lend him any more than £50 though.
Definitely - it's easier than dealing with the drama that could ensue. Especially if you think he's good for it.
Reply 3
I don't think you should tbh.. I leant my friend £2 once he kept delaying payment so I had to beat him up. I didn't want to but it's principle.. everyone else would think it would be ok to do me over so.. we aren't friends anymore not seen him in years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MrMango
I don't think you should tbh.. I leant my friend £2 once he kept delaying payment so I had to beat him up. I didn't want to but it's principle.. everyone else would think it would be ok to do me over so.. we aren't friends anymore not seen him in years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All that for £2? Such lovely people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by *Stefan*
All that for £2? Such lovely people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

it wasnt about the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was gonna say don't do it, usually lending money brings nothing but problems, but he did lend you some money, so I would say go ahead.
Lend as he lent to you
This is a lesson that we all learn the hard way: if you lend someone some money expect to never see it again even if they say they will pay it back. They may pay it back but don't expect them to. Be willing to part with the money for good if you are willing to lend it.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your advice - I decided to lend it and offered it to him when we met, but turns out the money from his parents came through today so he didn't need it!
Original post by MrMango

Posted from TSR Mobile

And he was your 'friend'?
There are two kinds of people when it comes to lending money: people who you can trust, and people who would ask.
I wouldn't mind lending someone money - but for drugs/nights out? If he can't afford to, stay in this weekend until next week when he wants to get high.

I personally would just tell him you would if you could, but you're struggling yourself with the holidays coming up. If he is a genuine mate, he would understand.
Original post by MrMango

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm shocked. Can't see any reason for that at all.
Reply 14
If his family is well off, then they can afford the ransom when you start to send body parts to them.
If you've got doubts about it then just fob him off with a 'sorry mate, I'm really low until next loan comes in' and leave it at that.
Original post by joker12345
Thanks for all your advice - I decided to lend it and offered it to him when we met, but turns out the money from his parents came through today so he didn't need it!

Happy ending then. :tongue:

It's hard though. I think the best thing in these situations is to lend once - an amount you can afford to lose - then if they don't pay it back never lend to them again. If they do, you know you can trust them (but still never progress to large amounts). £50 is bordering on a lot though. I'd say max £20 is the most I would ask a friend for.

That said, I owe my friend £3...
I'd say lend it, as he lent you, someone loaned me a grand once
No means NO!
I lent a friend £10 once, and told him that I would need it back. He agreed, but then as I asked him for it, he made me feel SO guilty that I wanted it back, because it was "only £10". Well at the time, that was the difference between me being able to get to uni on the bus that week or not, I had nothing more, so needed it. And then when he eventually gave it back (eventually) he made me feel as though it was him who had done me the favour rather than the other way round!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending