The Student Room Group

Young single mothers rant

:mad:

When I witness a young teen pushing her government funded designer buggy, it just irks me to see a proud expression of entitlement
They do indeed have it very easy as everything eventually gets sorted out for them.
Physically disgusting to witness and a reminder of just how low society has turned

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason

When I witness a young teen pushing her government funded designer buggy, it just irks me to see a proud expression of entitlement
They do indeed have it very easy as everything eventually gets sorted out for them.
Physically disgusting to witness and a reminder of just how low society has turned

So you're basically jelly that everything "gets sorted out for them" .__.
That's not a very nice thing to say and not everyone you see 'has it handed to them'. In fact, most probably get
help from family and friends.

More to the point, why let it irritate you so much, what will that achieve?
inb4 angry teenage mums tear your a** apart
How do you know it's a government funded buggy? They don't come with a label. Also, how do you know they're single? A girl I know got pregnant at 15 and fair enough she doesn't work as her daughter is two now and her family disowned her - but her partner, the baby's father, works full time and they don't claim benefits. Yet she can be seen out around town with her daughter, and she probably has people thinking things about her.

Don't be so judgemental. Yes, the system needs changing, but just focus on your own life. Make sure you're perfect before commenting about others!
I wonder how you judge that they're single if they're just walking down the street.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I wonder how you judge that they're single if they're just walking down the street.

Obviously superior intelligence.
If you look at social attitude surveys, it is clear that Britain is not a very empathic country. That is why many Brits would rather a child be raised in abject poverty than give up a tiny percentage of their income to see that child get a chance.
Would you rather they carry their child wrapped in a brown paper bag to protect them from the rotten fruit being thrown at them by the superior section of the community you belong to?

The government gives out funding to any mum that meets the requirement- id rather they brought a fancy pram then blew the lot on themselves
Reply 9
Yes, even when they aren't smiling and just have a normal expression you can see the entitlement in the arrangement of their eyebrows, etc.

Even though teenage pregnancy has been declining for years, the problem is at its worst ever. It's a good thing you and me see how it really is.
Reply 10

would you prefer to see her by the roadside prostituting her self with the child in arm?
Reply 11

Original post by R Dragon
So you're basically jelly that everything "gets sorted out for them" .__.

Original post by Balloon Baboon
That's not a very nice thing to say and not everyone you see 'has it handed to them'. In fact, most probably get
help from family and friends.

More to the point, why let it irritate you so much, what will that achieve?

Original post by C_tinie_D
inb4 angry teenage mums tear your a** apart

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
How do you know it's a government funded buggy? They don't come with a label. Also, how do you know they're single? A girl I know got pregnant at 15 and fair enough she doesn't work as her daughter is two now and her family disowned her - but her partner, the baby's father, works full time and they don't claim benefits. Yet she can be seen out around town with her daughter, and she probably has people thinking things about her.

Don't be so judgemental. Yes, the system needs changing, but just focus on your own life. Make sure you're perfect before commenting about others!

Original post by Quantex
If you look at social attitude surveys, it is clear that Britain is not a very empathic country. That is why many Brits would rather a child be raised in abject poverty than give up a tiny percentage of their income to see that child get a chance.

Original post by Mimsycrafts
Would you rather they carry their child wrapped in a brown paper bag to protect them from the rotten fruit being thrown at them by the superior section of the community you belong to?

The government gives out funding to any mum that meets the requirement- id rather they brought a fancy pram then blew the lot on themselves

Original post by miser
Yes, even when they aren't smiling and just have a normal expression you can see the entitlement in the arrangement of their eyebrows, etc.

Even though teenage pregnancy has been declining for years, the problem is at its worst ever. It's a good thing you and me see how it really is.

I met a woman who was a single mum on benefits in a council flat at 19 and now has a job in charge of 9 people

advising people on how to claim benefits :biggrin:
Original post by nohomo
I met a woman who was a single mum on benefits in a council flat at 19 and now has a job in charge of 9 people

Spoiler

As long as she's advising them on how to claim the benefits they are actually entitled to, then good on her!
Reply 13
As long as she's advising them on how to claim the benefits they are actually entitled to, then good on her!

I agree :smile:

Just thought it had a certain humour to it :tongue:

I was there as one of the people and I have lots of mental health trouble, and the other people were pretty clearly unwell/impaired in certain ways.
Original post by nohomo

advising people on how to claim benefits :biggrin:

The moral of this story is; don't paint everyone with the same brush.
Original post by nohomo
I agree :smile:

Just thought it had a certain humour to it :tongue:

I was there as one of the people and I have lots of mental health trouble, and the other people were pretty clearly unwell/impaired in certain ways.

Well, they do say "If you do something well, don't do it for free" :tongue:

Indeed. I see many mothers (from teenagers to older mothers) on their own with a child. Doesn't mean that they're either a single parent, or indeed that the child is theirs.
How do you know she doesn't have a full time job but is just on maternity leave? How do you know she doesn't have a part time job to make ends meet? How do you know she doesn't have a partner who works to provide for her and her child?

And even if she was on benefits I'd rather society provided some sort of support for single mothers than just chuck them on the kerb and leave them in absolute poverty.
I'd worry more about the fact that the mother is single (regardless of age), her child will never know his/her father
Original post by shawn_o1
I'd worry more about the fact that the mother is single (regardless of age), her child will never know his/her father

How does one even follow from the other?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending