The Student Room Group

Is the university of bradford any good???

Helo to all fellow members of the student room. My name is Hussain, i am a first year law student,(2006). I really need some advice, basically i got ABB in my A-Levels and am studying law at the university of Bradford. I chose this university based on the Guardians league table, and i am starting to regret the choice because i feel i could've gone to a better uni. I really want to be suucesfull in the legal profession, hopefully becoming a solicitor. I am considering doing an LLM to enhance my Career prospects but i am very worried that going to Bradford may hinder my ambitions. I just want to know some honest opinions about my situation and any advice on what i can do to make my university decision less regretable interms of job prospects. please help me i would appreciate it.
Reply 1
if your not happy with Bradford then surely you can apply for a credit transfer to a university more to your liking? Leeds has a fairly positive image in your neck of the woods, surely!

Good luck Hussain.
Reply 2
I mean the uni is not bad but how would one go about applying for a credit transfer to a better uni?
Reply 3
Why dont you just leave this year, take a gap year do something worthwhile and reapply?
Reply 4
Firstly good luck with your application for uni! erm i dont know i really don't i mean i would consider that but i don't know if i am sacrificing a year, you can tell i am in a bit of a situation.
Reply 5
Thanks, if I were you with ABB, I would be going to Northumbria, Kent, Hull, City all far far better Law Schools than Bradford
Reply 6
I know that i am going to get slaughtered for this but i got an offer from hull, but rejected them on the basis of the guardian league table and i think i just kidded my self into think bradford was any good.
Reply 7
:toofunny: If you are going to go by any league tables, dont go by the Guardians!
Reply 8
Too late for me now, just realised it, i am considering staying at bradford and just working my hardest to be the best, hopefully i can achieve my ambitions but i am not convinced!!!! might transfer to another uni, i dont know what to do???
Reply 9
you should persevere with the degree at bradford. if you start faffing about it might affect you when applying for a training contract.

if you wanted to transfer it would be done at the end of the year but you need to sort it out with your tutor, head of department and your favoured uni as soon as possible.
Reply 10
Hi thanks, just asking are you from bradford uni?? by the way what you have said makes sense i am going to have to think about it and come to a descion fast.
Reply 11
SSU Ambassador
if your not happy with Bradford then surely you can apply for a credit transfer to a university more to your liking? Leeds has a fairly positive image in your neck of the woods, surely!

Good luck Hussain.

Leeds with ABB?

Anyways, if you aren't happy some unis allow transfers at the start of the second year, or you could drop out take a year out and reapply. As long as you do something worthwhile if you do take a year out.

To be perfectly honest though you should have researched where you were applying properly before hand, its a bit late now. You shouldn't simply go by league tables. Particularly the Guardians league table, I don't care what anyone says, SOAS is not the second best law school in the country.
what exactly is your problem with the Uni of Bradford? what are your reaosns for thinking it isn't very good now, if you simpley think you could have found a "better" uni, what scale are you goin on, as peopel ahve pointed out league tables can be unreliable and what is to say another league table will tell you what is better for law, or for you? THink about your lectures, how well you are doing and other factors that you can't ignore like have you made friends, finances on living in Bradford etc, then pretend this was another Uni leeds or hull would you be happy then-if the answer is yes, then stick at bradford unless you can nail a real reason to leave, a know employeers look at law degrees from different places and decide that soem are better than others, but i would take a guess and say they also care about if you dropped out and moved unis, especially if this caused your grades to be slightly lower /you became less confident, i doubt a law firms wants someone who can't make thier mind up what they want/stick with what they chose when they had no good reason not to, moved on a whim etc.
Reply 13
hussain1403
I know that i am going to get slaughtered for this but i got an offer from hull, but rejected them on the basis of the guardian league table and i think i just kidded my self into think bradford was any good.

University as a whole, or law school in particular because I seem to remember Hull Law School didn't do that badly in the Guardian rankings anyway?

Or was that the Times?

Hmmm, too many league tables!!!
hussain1403
Hi thanks, just asking are you from bradford uni?? by the way what you have said makes sense i am going to have to think about it and come to a descion fast.

hey hussain,

I come from Bradford, i'm doin degree in at Huddersfield Uni and plan on doing my LPC at Leeds Uni part time while completing my training contract.

Through my family connections I was basically guarenteed a training contract so it didnt bother me where i went to study as long as i got a good qualification. Some of my friends have found it difficult to get onto the LPC or get a training contact.

If you're finding life at bradford difficult then have a talk with your tutors. I didnt do this and i ***ked up my 1st year.

After college I went to Leeds uni on the LLB but found it hard and dropped out in the 1st year. I didnt tell anyone about my problems and kept everything to myself. Anyways I sorted out my problems and I ended up at Huddersfield and i did well.

Latest

Trending

Trending