The Student Room Group

How do I take the A level even if I haven't studied in the UK?

Can I take the A level if I haven't studied in the UK?
I am thinking of taking about 6 A levels in June. Can I take all of them?
How do I register for the exam?

Thanks !! :smile:
Original post by horia_brenciu
Can I take the A level if I haven't studied in the UK?
I am thinking of taking about 6 A levels in June. Can I take all of them?
How do I register for the exam?

Thanks !! :smile:

Do you mean 6 exams or six full A level subjects?

To take a exams as a private candidate you need to decide which subject/examiner/syllabus you which to take, make a list of the specific exams and dates, find a centre that is willing to accept you, book the exams you want to take and pay the fee. The fees are not fixed, The centre can charge whatever they want to and there are huge differences between centres. You need to get your down visions made quickly as entries will be done in jan/feb and late entries are harder to arrange and always more expensive.

Many A levels include centre marked practical or coursework components that are very difficult to arrange and can be very expensive. Ideally choose subjects that don't have them.

Examiners have information for private candidates on their web sites (AQA, edexcel or OCR) including advice on how to find a centre or just google 'A level private candidates' and several centres will be listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Ok, thank you very much

I want to sit 6 or 7 A Level subjects

Maths; F Maths; Physics; Chemistry; Comp Sci; History; and probably Cosmology.

Also, I would like to ask which is the difference between AQA, Edxecel or OCR?
Ok, thank you very much

I want to sit 6 or 7 A Level subjects

Maths; F Maths; Physics; Chemistry; Comp Sci; History; and probably Cosmology.

Also, I would like to ask which is the difference between AQA, Edxecel or OCR?

Why?
Seems like a very silly idea
More than 30 written exams, at least 4 practical assessments and I think some coursework.
A ridiculous work load for study and revision
Very high probability that exams would clash where you need to be in two exams at the same time.
Huge cost for exam entries, my guess would be at least £2000

Most students take 2 academic years to prepare for and sit 3 full A levels and take an AS in a fourth subject. Some do 4 full A levels. A tiny minority do more than 4. No UK university would value more than 4, especially at the expense of good grades.

AQA, Edxecel and OCR are the three main examiners for A level in England. They each have a different syllabus for most subjects and you have to choose which you will sit exams for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, I understand so no way I could take all of them, because is very expensive and takes a lot of exams and some of them could be in the same time...

You say that no University would value more than 4 ?
Could I take full A levlel at Maths, Physics, Comp Sci and an AS at F Maths? How many exams should I sit and how much would it cost?

Cand I take them somewhere outside of the UK... at British Council?

Thanks!!
Also, can you tell me how many exams i have to sit for each of them?
Also, can you tell me how many exams i have to sit for each of them?

Off the top of my head I can tell you that it really depends on the exam board since it really does differ.

I know 1 exam board does 4 exams for maths but I don't know about others
The other ones I couldn't tell you. I'm not sure I'd advise compsci since it's not sought after and if you wanna go into compsci it isn't that great since most of what you learn will become obsolete quickly.
Ok, I understand so no way I could take all of them, because is very expensive and takes a lot of exams and some of them could be in the same time...

You say that no University would value more than 4 ?
Could I take full A levlel at Maths, Physics, Comp Sci and an AS at F Maths? How many exams should I sit and how much would it cost?

Cand I take them somewhere outside of the UK... at British Council?

Thanks!!

Maths A-level has six exams for most exam boards, although I believe CIE (who do international A-levels), allow you to do just 4.
Further Maths AS will have three exams. A-level FM will have six exams

Physics, depending on exam board has about two exams. I believe you are able to do an International A-level without a practical component.

Comp Sci I don't believe is an A-level. You will take Computing or ICT. Not sure on number of exams, but it is likely to be one or two.

Typically, exams cost about £40 each, but some centres will charge more.

I believe most international students on TSR are taking their exams with the British Council.
So would be enough for Nat Sci an A level in Maths; Physics; Comp Sci/Programing and an AS in F MAths ?

Which is more difficult? AQA, Edexcel or OCR?
What is your advise ?
So would be enough for Nat Sci an A level in Maths; Physics; Comp Sci/Programing and an AS in F MAths ?

Which is more difficult? AQA, Edexcel or OCR?
What is your advise ?

If you want to take the exams in your own country through the British council then you will only have a choice of Edexcel or CIE and may be limited in what you can choose so contact them to find out what is possible. Most people seem to agree that the edexcel exams are more straightforward in most subjects than the CIE ones. Personally I think Maths Further Maths and Physics is a better option with ICT/computing as the fourth taken to AS but you really should look at the entry requirements on the web sites of universities you are thinking of applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
If you want to take the exams in your own country through the British council then you will only have a choice of Edexcel or CIE and may be limited in what you can choose so contact them to find out what is possible. Most people seem to agree that the edexcel exams are more straightforward in most subjects than the CIE ones. Personally I think Maths Further Maths and Physics is a better option with ICT/computing as the fourth taken to AS but you really should look at the entry requirements on the web sites of universities you are thinking of applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CIE Maths(in particular Mechanics)is quite hard!It's the grade that matters not the exam board OP does gets his exam papers from!
I want to take something which is more appreciated at Oxbridge...
I want to sit Programing because my high-school teacher was a total prick, and though I knew programing he gave me only D, and I want to improve this bad image!

I think that Maths, Physics, Programing and F Maths at AS is enough...also I was thinking to take probably an As at history but isn't quite necessary, is it?
And also, how many points do I have to take from a total of... to get an A* ?
I am really confused about regarding the A level....

And I don't know what should I take at Maths, Physics, Comp Sci and F Maths...

Quick Reply

Latest