The Student Room Group

Gap Year Personal Statement

Delete please
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mmms95
Hi, I'm studying Further Maths in my gap year (applying for Maths), and re-applying through UCAS, but I just wanted to ask, do I have to majorly change my personal statement or can I pretty much use most of last year's and just mention what I'm doing in my gap year? Are admission tutors expecting like a detailed version of what I'm doing or just interested to know I'm being productive? (i.e briefly mentioning work placements/what Maths I'm doing)

I was in the same position last year, what I did was add a paragraph about what I was doing in my gap year and also definitely include the part about doing further maths in your gap year. That shows you're keen about maths and it also means you're up to date with it too (since maths is the type of subject where if you stop doing it you'll forget things). But most of your personal statement should be the same from last year. Hope that helps? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mmms95
Hi thanks for your reply! I sent off my UCAS already but that's exactly what I did :smile: It's reassuring to know someone was in the same position as me though. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get on last year? Did you get into most/all of your choices?

Aaaah okay, well at least you got it sent off well before the deadline, that's always good!

Yes, I got into all of my choices, I'm now at Manchester doing a BSc in maths (thinking of changing to MMath soon). What's your first choice?
Hey bro! Please help me out! I am in my A2 year and will be taking a gap year from this september, i also want to study further maths in my gap year, AS+A2 further maths. However, my college/sixthform don't do 1 year AS+A2 courses. Do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost me and where i could go study and take the FM exams? What are you doing? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Thanks, hope you can help me!
Original post by mmms95
Hey, I'm on a gap year and I'm doing the AS & A2 FM with Edexcel, I have a tutor I go to once a week and I got the endorsed books from their website. I think each book is about £16 (not too sure on that) and you'll have six modules, so that'll be six books, but I think you can get second hand books on Amazon for a cheaper price. If it's going to be to costly, then it's not SO bad if you don't have a tutor because if you're naturally good at maths the text book is good/ pretty straightforward and there are loads of websites that can help (e.g. examsolutions and khan academy etc), also the past papers are pretty straightforward as well (as far as I've seen). You could also register/apply at a college for the course (some colleges do a level courses and if you go through this route you won't have to find a centre since they'll arrange your exams for you). I personally preferred to do it privately since I could go at my own pace through the course.

If you do end up doing it privately, you'll have to find a centre that'll take you, you can contact the exam board you're doing it with and they can give you a list of centres. I'm not too sure on the cost of exams though because it really depends on where you do it, some are expensive, others not so much. I suggest you register early though, maybe around August/Sept (the earliest you can really) because some might fill up really fast.

I hope this helps. Which board are you doing it with btw? And are you deferring your entry or just gna apply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man thanks for the reply!

I'm currently doing AQA maths at my sf.college and i'm going to apply university in the next cycle for the end of 2015 hopefully.

You mentioned a tutor that you meet once a week, do they teach you the topics from scratch? Or are they more there just to help you with anything that you don't fully understand, if so, is it safe to say that you're really self studying using your own resources like books and websites?

I don't think i could do FM without a teacher going through each topic at-least a little with me. I have looked at his website (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmmature) and it seems as though they offer some kind of online tutoring, so i'm going to try contact them soon and find out how these lessons work.

I i do start self-studying FM AS & A2 in my gap year, do you think i could take the actual exam at my current college for free? The link i sent says something about taking the examination at your previous college as an external student.

Btw, just so you know, i wouldn't say im 'naturally good at maths', but i'm hoping to get an A.

Thanks!
Original post by mmms95
The tutor mainly introduces the topic to me, although if some topics seem straightforward i study them myself. Afterwards I do everything on my own and if I have any major problems I ask as well.

I've also had a look at that website and was going to sign up but afterwards I decided not to because I found they cover the topics over a large period of time (e.g I think it's like 2 lecture per month not quite sure) soooo, yeah. Also there was a cost and I didn't think it'd be worth it, I mean with a tutor, at least you could go through any major problems you might have. (much easier to discuss a question face-to-face)

Since you'll already be a previous student at your current college I don't think they should have a problem with taking you as an external student (but I'm not sure it'll be for free :P), but ask them just in case beforehand.

Btw, I'm sure you can get an A, maybe even an A*! It just depends on how much effort you put into it. I hope this helped! What will you be applying for btw? Maths/Engineering?

good luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to email them (the link i sent earlier) soon and see what they say.

So you found the tutor to be more worth the money? I would have thought that it would be a lot more expensive to see a tutor every week for an hour or two. If you don't mind me asking, how much would it cost, roughly, to get a tutor for like 2hrs a week? I've heard rates like £30 an hour! :frown:

Right now my plan is to apply for Computer Science. If i am able to start the FM a-level i may apply for either a 'Maths' or 'computing with maths' degree instead. Thing is right, I would really like to get into Imperial for Computer Science, but they 'highly recommend' you take FM, or at-least up to AS. They also ''encourage' you to take the AEA or STEP exams esp. if you didn't take FM. Now taking FM will obviously give me a better fighting chance plus if i have to take a test and i do bad, it would really help if i had a good grade in FM under my belt.

Haha, thanks, hopefully I do get an A*.
Cheers :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest