The Student Room Group

university tips

Hey, I'm in my first year doing biological sciences, I enjoy the subject but it is hard at times and I am quite lazy.
basically I could use some advice.
1. I have exams in january, I haven't started revising yet because I'm still doing 2 assignments which are in for next week. What are some good and effective ways to revise, especially if I haven't been taking notes really (I know stupid of me I'm definitely going to be taking notes from now on).
2. How to make good notes?
3. How to stay on top of the workload ( I've fallen behind by quite a lot due to health reasons meaning I missed a lot of lectures).
4. I don't want to be accused of plagiarism, I find it difficult to take information and put it In my own words so I tend to copy and change the word's about a bit, how do I fall out of this stupid habit?
Finally is there any way I can catch up and get all this done before the next term starts in january?

P.s. Please don't be mean or rude :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry im not giving you advice, but what is your course like? where are you studying?

Im applying for Biology/Biological Sciences next year (all 5 potions)
Original post by heavyhandscott
Sorry im not giving you advice, but what is your course like? where are you studying?

Im applying for Biology/Biological Sciences next year (all 5 potions)

It's really interesting, the maths and chemistry is a little bit difficult.
The lectures are ok but I haven't been to many for the reasons stated above but I will be starting next term. Some of the subject areas are a little difficult to grasp and understand straight away but you do start to get it more when you do additional reading, oh and there's A LOT of additional reading, about 70% of work is outside of lectures/tutorials
Original post by Lionheart96
It's really interesting, the maths and chemistry is a little bit difficult.
The lectures are ok but I haven't been to many for the reasons stated above but I will be starting next term. Some of the subject areas are a little difficult to grasp and understand straight away but you do start to get it more when you do additional reading, oh and there's A LOT of additional reading, about 70% of work is outside of lectures/tutorials

What Uni you at? I did AS Chemistry for half a school term (until xmas) and im only resitting AS Maths
Original post by heavyhandscott
What Uni you at? I did AS Chemistry for half a school term (until xmas) and im only resitting AS Maths

Don't want to say because there are people on this forum who know me and I want to remain anonymous but its part of the russell group
Original post by Lionheart96
Don't want to say because there are people on this forum who know me and I want to remain anonymous but its part of the russell group

Why dont you PM me? if not thats ok.

As for helping you, i would recommend getting your head in the right place. Sit at the library every day and make some sort of notes and do your revision
Cheat sheets for anything where rules are involved like equations and chemistry (basically a few sheets of paper where you list formulas, diagrams and definitions as simply as possible). Make a mind map of what topics are connected then rewrite your notes out using that to help order them.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest