The Student Room Group

History Degree. Am I aiming too high?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bethblur
Omg I did Acts of the Apostles and Early church history in Rome for AS! Doing Acts, Galations and Corinthians this year, along with continued expansion in the Roman Empire! Yeah, when you see Paul's speech to the Areopagus etc.

What board do you do RS with?!
Reply 81
Original post by CescaD96
What board do you do RS with?!

CCEA for RS and History, AQA for Class civ!
Reply 82
CCEA for RS and History, AQA for Class civ!

I do CCEA for all! :smile:
What do you do for History?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_offers_2014

Check out this thread! I found it pretty helpful. Some people don't get offers until March!

Didn't even know that page existed haha, thank you!
Reply 84
I do CCEA for all! :smile:
What do you do for History?

Last year, the Ascendancy of France and England 1603.
This year, Crown and Parliament and Ireland 1600s.

Sorry, i'm not sure what the exact module titles are, but that's the gist!

Yourself?
Reply 85
Original post by geoking
Really? So you don't think it's really rather childish to be paying tens of thousands of pounds and three years for something that may not lead to a job when the point of a degree is to make you more employable not to have fun?

How are you going to even get a loan for the PhD? Have you looked into this at all? Universities are companies. All the need to do is meet demand. They don't care where you go once you've graduated.

Wow, so I'm a child now? You don't have the right to call my actions "childish". I know what the point of a degree is, and I have faith that History will make me employable. If you don't, well that's you. I don't see why I have to argue my life choices to a stranger. Besides, if my school didn't think History would be best for me, then they would have suggested another degree for me, they are all about the money and careers and making them look good. But they have faith in me. I have faith in me.

Yes, I have researched, I'm not an idiot, and if I can't get funding straightaway, I'll wait a few years.

Look, you have your views, I have mine. I can't change your viewpoint, you can't change mine. Let's leave it before things get too insulting.
Reply 86
Last year, the Ascendancy of France and England 1603.
This year, Crown and Parliament and Ireland 1600s.

Sorry, i'm not sure what the exact module titles are, but that's the gist!

Yourself?

Ireland 1800-1867 and Germany 1917-1945. This year Nationalism in Ireland 1800-1900 and Ireland 1900-1925.

I recognise your school name. :smile:
Original post by geoking

So a vague degree is wanted for vague jobs. Right. As I said before, it's not a degree you do if you want a career.

Great banter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
Really? So you don't think it's really rather childish to be paying tens of thousands of pounds and three years for something that may not lead to a job when the point of a degree is to make you more employable not to have fun?

How are you going to even get a loan for the PhD? Have you looked into this at all? Universities are companies. All the need to do is meet demand. They don't care where you go once you've graduated.

History degrees do make you more employable, especially if you have relevant work experience to go with it.
In any case, if you want an argument over this, go ahead and make a thread for it. No need to hijack someone else's just to spout your ignorant opinions on a degree which you've never even studied.
Reply 89
Original post by BobbieShamrock
History degrees do make you more employable, especially if you have relevant work experience to go with it.
In any case, if you want an argument over this, go ahead and make a thread for it. No need to hijack someone else's just to spout your ignorant opinions on a degree which you've never even studied.

I'm sorry for this. I'd make a thread, but I don't see the point of arguing my life choices to a stranger who is hell bent on arguing against History. :smile:
Reply 90
Ireland 1800-1867 and Germany 1917-1945. This year Nationalism in Ireland 1800-1900 and Ireland 1900-1925.

I recognise your school name. :smile:

Ah, we do completely different modules then! Hopefully the synoptic will be alright. Oh, cool! What school do you go to?
Reply 91
Ah, we do completely different modules then! Hopefully the synoptic will be alright. Oh, cool! What school do you go to?

I hope it's alright too. I'll just have to get my head around it.
Ever heard of Lumen Christi?

(also sorry for arguing on your thread with the user who is bashing history. Sorry.)
I'm sorry for this. I'd make a thread, but I don't see the point of arguing my life choices to a stranger who is hell bent on arguing against History. :smile:

I'm blaming geoking. It should be him apologising, not you :smile: Don't let him get on your nerves haha. He's nothing more than a troll.
Reply 93
I'm blaming geoking. It should be him apologising, not you :smile: Don't let him get on your nerves haha. He's nothing more than a troll.

He called my actions childish, I'm struggling not to be annoyed.
But then, it's my life!
Reply 94
I hope it's alright too. I'll just have to get my head around it.
Ever heard of Lumen Christi?

(also sorry for arguing on your thread with the user who is bashing history. Sorry.)

Nope! Cool name for a school though. It's alright haha, i'm getting a laugh out of it. Humanities students are bashed all the time :frown: it sucks
He called my actions childish, I'm struggling not to be annoyed.
But then, it's my life!

Totally understand what you mean, tbh I don't blame you for arguing with him. I think he's only trying to get a reaction, though.
Reply 96
Nope! Cool name for a school though. It's alright haha, i'm getting a laugh out of it. Humanities students are bashed all the time :frown: it sucks

Ah, Lumen. We're a bunch of nerds here in Derry/Londonderry (whatever takes your fancy).
I hate how humanities are always shoved to the side. We're important!
Reply 97
Ah, Lumen. We're a bunch of nerds here in Derry/Londonderry (whatever takes your fancy).
I hate how humanities are always shoved to the side. We're important!

It worries me how you have heard of my school. Do universities compare your GCSEs to the average the school achieves? Yeah i know righttttttt!
Reply 98
Totally understand what you mean, tbh I don't blame you for arguing with him. I think he's only trying to get a reaction, though.

That's why I've said to him to leave it. :smile:
Wow, so I'm a child now? You don't have the right to call my actions "childish". I know what the point of a degree is, and I have faith that History will make me employable. If you don't, well that's you. I don't see why I have to argue my life choices to a stranger. Besides, if my school didn't think History would be best for me, then they would have suggested another degree for me, they are all about the money and careers and making them look good. But they have faith in me. I have faith in me.

Yes, I have researched, I'm not an idiot, and if I can't get funding straightaway, I'll wait a few years.

Look, you have your views, I have mine. I can't change your viewpoint, you can't change mine. Let's leave it before things get too insulting.

For someone keen on doing an analytical degree I'm amazed at how poorly structured your argument is.

1) "You don't have the right" What right? Redundant comment.
2) "I have faith" Faith isn't worth £30k and three years. You should be going on facts, not blind luck aka faith.
3) "I don't know why I have to argue my life choices to a stranger" Falacial argument. Who I am doesn't matter, what matters is the validity of my argument.
4) What makes you think that your school would make the right degree choice for you? Are they accountable in anyway if it goes tits up?
5) Back to faith. See above.

Ignorance would require me not knowing what I'm talking about. However I do know what I'm talking about therefore I'm not ignorant, you simply don't want to hear this side of the argument. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest