The Student Room Group

If you are are a racist student

Should you be kicked out of university. Say, a student in class had a controversial view about race that came up in seminar, should they be kicked out? Also, if they had a view about Jews, Muslims etc. and said they don't like those cultures should they be kicked out of university even in they are 'intelligent?'
Reply 1
Original post by JamesManc
Should you be kicked out of university. Say, a student in class had a controversial view about race that came up in seminar, should they be kicked out? Also, if they had a view about Jews, Muslims etc. and said they don't like those cultures should they be kicked out of university even in they are 'intelligent?'

well at the end of the day universities are private institutions. so they can if they want.

should you? i dunno thats very subjective. i mean for me theres a difference between saying something like "muslims have an issue with pedophilia in their culture" which i would be weary of but discuss it out. to "muslims are pedophiles" thats much more slanderous and can be interpreted as not generally speaking but being literal and labelling. I would give you an official warning.
but if you said something like "arab girls are disgustingly ugly"
then i would refuse to teach you in my class and inform the dean.
Original post by Mick.w
well at the end of the day universities are private institutions. so they can if they want.

should you? i dunno thats very subjective. i mean for me theres a difference between saying something like "muslims have an issue with pedophilia in their culture" which i would be weary of but discuss it out. to "muslims are pedophiles" thats much more slanderous and can be interpreted as not generally speaking but being literal and labelling. I would give you an official warning.
but if you said something like "arab girls are disgustingly ugly"
then i would refuse to teach you in my class and inform the dean.

Islam is a religion, not culture. Please refer to specific races/cultures, Islam is the most culturally diverse religion, so your post could cause confusion.
Reply 3
Original post by Professor Purple
Islam is a religion, not culture. Please refer to specific races/cultures, Islam is the most culturally diverse religion, so your post could cause confusion.

its a religion and a culture.

really islam is the culture and religion of the racial group of arabs.

islam is to arabs what judaism is to jews.

google islamic culture.
Always challenge racist views, and if you can't convince them that it's wrong then I don't see why not
Original post by Mick.w
its a religion and a culture.

really islam is the culture and religion of the racial group of arabs.

islam is to arabs what judaism is to jews.

google islamic culture.

No.. There's Arab culture and Islam. Two completely different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
But some people are racist whether you like it or not, some of the best minds in history are racist
kath_igidbashian so why kick them out?
Reply 7

Says who?
Reply 8
Original post by NomadicBelle
No.. There's Arab culture and Islam. Two completely different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

completely different? please.

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/shariah-and-humanity/shariah-and-life/466251-islam-culture-heritage-art-people-muslim-prophet.html?Life=

The Islamic Cultural Centre UK
http://www.iccuk.org/

"islamic theology introduces a culture and a set of beliefs that is essentially arab, that is patriarchal, that is sanctified and made divine" - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Islam spreads via war. if this fails it spreads via immigration and trade. after this the theology is introduced, after this the culture is introduced.

Nubian culture + islam = Nubian culture has been destroyed
Egyptian culture + islam = Egyptian culture destroyed
Axumite culture + islam = Axumite culture destroyed
Persian culture + islam = Persian culture destroyed
Babylonian culture + islam = Babylonian culture destroyed

No. Freedom of opinion and speech is one of the things that universities have traditionally stood for. Punishing people just for their opinions (provided they have no intent to do/ incite harm with them) is bordering on a dictatorship.
not immediately - universities are there to educate you and challenging racist views is part of that. If racist beliefs led to racist actions then yes, they should throw you out.
Only if it leads to racist actions(I.e violence)

You cannot do that. You are legally allowed a certain level of leeway in debates and intellectual institutions. You also cannot just deny someone their right to education purely because you disagree with their views.

You say that he mentioned not liking other cultures, are you going to force everyone to accept other cultures and what will be the punishment if they don't?
Denial of a right to education?, prison?, taking their children off them?,

I need to say you can't be a very good student if you have to resort to having someone being forced from education for having controversial views. Why can't you just debate him? Is it because you know you'll lose?
Original post by Professor Purple

The culture of most peoples who are Islamic is intrinsically linked to the religion and beliefs therein itself.

They are inseparable.
Reply 14
Right to free speech vs political correctness.

A taut game ultimately ending in a 0V0 stalemate

Quick Reply

Latest