The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:frown:
Some drivers are morons, no doubt about it. I've been repeatedly beeped at for doing 30 on a 30 limit road because the guy behind me wants to go faster, I've been beeped at for not slowing down to let someone out of a side road (???), I've been beeped at for stopping at a stop sign. Never let it get to you, if you're following the rules then it's just them being impatient and wanting to break the rules. I find the car horn noise to be absolutely vile, the tone just makes you feel in the wrongg automatically. I'd like there to be a separate driving test to be alllowed a horn personally...
Perhaps the other driver thought there wasn't enough space for you to pull out. Misjudging space is an easy mistake to make! They may have been going quicker than you thought so closing the gap quicker as you've pulled out.
Personally wouldn't even worry about it, no harm was done to either of you so just forget it and move on, they'll, or maybe even you'll, be beeping at someone else soon :wink:!
I was driving in Scotland the other day and there were two lanes one for going straight and one for turning right at a roundabout, I took the way to go straight and this car tried to cut me up at the roundabout by going in the other lane but he couldn't get past me so he blasted his horn at me.
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
I was driving in Scotland the other day and there were two lanes one for going straight and one for turning right at a roundabout, I took the way to go straight and this car tried to cut me up at the roundabout by going in the other lane but he couldn't get past me so he blasted his horn at me.

Dumb jocks.
Reply 6
It depends on what you're doing. If you're adhering to road laws then I might get pissed off, but I won't beep at you. If you do something dumb like pull out in front of me, or cut across in front of me, or sit there at a green light not moving, then you bet I'm going to use my horn.
I got beeped at on one of my first drives after passing I was on a tight roundabout and was obviously drifting a bit astray. It did make me jump and although it wasn't nice at the end of the day he was obviously making me aware of what was happening so I accept that

I must admit I have given a few beeps on my morning drive to work because loads of drivers come up in the right hand lane when us in the left lane have been waiting around 5 times as long and then they just cut in, half the time with no indicators and when there's not enough space! I'm just warning them that I am actually still there because some of them seem to find me invisible for some strange reason

When people beep for things like, not being willing to drive into a yellow box for example then it's annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beeping isn't somebody screaming at you for making an error. Beeping is to make you aware that you're likely drifting into their lane/space and haven't seen them. However, if you continue to do what you're doing after a beep, then anything following that is telling you to sort yourself out.

I had to slam my horn for a good 10 seconds at a middle aged lady last night. In the centre of town, 3 lanes, one for left and two for going right. I was in the right lane, she was in the middle. I just had a feeling she was going to cut me up when the light turned green, she veered RIGHT ACROSS my lane, horned at her, she didn't move, kept on it and resorted to also flashing my high beams. She then cut back into her own lane to completely avoid eye contact with me at the next set of lights. Utterly clueless as to what she'd just done. Had I not suspected she was clueless, she'd have gone right into the side of my car.
If I know the beep was uncalled for I give them the finger, sometimes I try to get behind them to flash so they'll pull over, had a couple of scraps on the roadside but they shouldn't be beeping at me when I did **** all wrong.
Which is why you should always carry a weapon ie baseball bay, tyre iron under your seat
I was beeped at slowing down for a round-a-bout.... I've been driving a month so not used to all of them and this one was particularly busy at the time as it was 5pm, three lanes, i was in the middle lane for my turn off and this guy beeps from behind me because i slowed to look right as the roundabout was full and people where going where ever they pleased tbh, so i was just being safe and he then proceeds to use the left lane and glares at me as he went past....that was until he saw my dad in the car with me then he cowered because he was in the wrong seen as there was a hatched area and my exit wasn't clear !!

Had to alert some people to the fact that they've not been looking when they've tried to pull out on me a good few times or people rushing past me when i'm doing the limit i mean...really it never gets them where they are going any faster and i usually end up with them at the next lights giggling to my self lol
Ha, I've had that a few times, people, mainly van drivers, screaming past me only to slam their brakes on at the traffic lights just ahead, then for me to toodle past them with a smirk on my face haha :biggrin:.
I use my horn only when i really need to, like when people try and cut me up on roundabouts, because they are too stupid to get into the correct lane, and this week on my way to work, I had one idiot coming at me on the wrong side of the road turning right at a dual carriageway, he got my horn and some verbal abuse! Oh and also had a learner on their test, almost crash into me attempting to merge into traffic because of a bus lane, but she completely ballsed it up and nearly hit my car! :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurennmc
Perhaps the other driver thought there wasn't enough space for you to pull out. Misjudging space is an easy mistake to make! They may have been going quicker than you thought so closing the gap quicker as you've pulled out.
Personally wouldn't even worry about it, no harm was done to either of you so just forget it and move on, they'll, or maybe even you'll, be beeping at someone else soon :wink:!

I agree
Speaking of beeps... Some complete idiot pulled out of a junction on me just now, he definitely got a beep! Even with me slamming on I was inches from going into him, decided it's time to get a dashboard cam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't beep unless its with very good cause. Last time was a couple weeks ago on a roundabout in Bude, I was already on it and some d***head in a Silver Pug 206 just shot straight out in front without looking, had I been going any faster I would have hit him! He got a bit scared seeing a big black Skoda in his mirror following him with 2 burly blokes in it, needless to say the stupid git got an earful when we caught up with him as well!!
OP,

Did you cause the other driver to slow down and brake?
Love the way you mention "by a girl"
Ignore it.
Original post by Smiley face. YAY
how about YOU ignore the next time the motor vehicle holding you, get's beeped at

Okay?

Latest

Trending

Trending