The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
justfarhan
Also, would I be wrong in saying that alot of violence between Muslims were created by the Americans?

You would be, because it was the British Empire who were responsible for a lot of it, and it is, regardless, ultimately the Muslims who are responsible for it. The sooner the Muslim world admits to that, the sooner they will all be better off.
tehjonny
I believe most of the sects that take part in the sectarian violence in Iraq, which is the cause of the most bloodshed, have existed far longer than the US...once again, you may need to actually think about it, rather than just say 'the US', when any problem is mentioned.

Today's Independant: "The human cost of the war in Iraq could be far higher than previously thought. A new survey says more than 650,000 Iraqis have lost their lives as a consequence of the invasion by the United States and Britain, with an estimated 200,000 violent deaths directly attributable to Allied forces.

The new figure is much larger than all previous estimates - more than 20 times higher than President George Bush claimed 11 months ago - and will add considerable weight to the calls of those seeking a withdrawal of troops.

The 654,965 deaths estimated to have resulted from the invasion represent about 2.5 per cent of the Iraqi population. It means people have been dying at a rate of about 560 a day, equivalent to one death every three minutes, or less."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article1842559.ece
Reply 42
the_chauffeur
Today's Independant: "The human cost of the war in Iraq could be far higher than previously thought. A new survey says more than 650,000 Iraqis have lost their lives as a consequence of the invasion by the United States and Britain, with an estimated 200,000 violent deaths directly attributable to Allied forces.

The new figure is much larger than all previous estimates - more than 20 times higher than President George Bush claimed 11 months ago - and will add considerable weight to the calls of those seeking a withdrawal of troops.

The 654,965 deaths estimated to have resulted from the invasion represent about 2.5 per cent of the Iraqi population. It means people have been dying at a rate of about 560 a day, equivalent to one death every three minutes, or less."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article1842559.ece

I think you need to read the background behind that report.

Most (in fact the VAST majority) of experts have said it is a massive over-estimate, it is politically timed (indeed it is done by the same people who released one just before the 2004 presidential elections and ADMITTED the timing was political) and uses very vague and ephemeral methodologies.

I am no fan of George Bush - but the report is very very dubious.
the_chauffeur
:rofl:

Sorry to interrupt this Muslim hate-fest

But WTF FIMN; you're joking ?

The video ironically has their holy place with nazi banners all over it , even though Muslims from all over over the world pray side by side, no matter what colour they are, all equal in front of their God ? (even though Hitler was a Christian)

Not to mention showing their prophet as a paedo (even though the Catholic Church is more famous for that); and inventor of the dildo (which Western women love so much anyway).

Also a video which threatens muslims that "they'll be eradicated off the face of the earth"

:rolleyes:

Almost everything said in that video is true.
ForeverIsMyName
This would perhaps summarise your thoughts; It did for mine.

ForeverIsMyName
Almost everything said in that video is true.

What wasn't true then ? That their prophet perhaps did not invent le dildo ? Explain yourself...
the_chauffeur
What wasn't true then ? That their prophet perhaps did not invent le dildo ? Explain yourself...

Said, not shown was the used.
Reply 46
ForeverIsMyName
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOv6sWURW8

looolllllll
:biggrin:
the_chauffeur
What wasn't true then ?

I can't listen to the video right now, so I'm not really sure, but I can't claim that it's all 100% gospel truth; If memory serves, it raises exceptionally good points.
ForeverIsMyName
I can't listen to the video right now, so I'm not really sure, but I can't claim that it's all 100% gospel truth; If memory serves, it raises exceptionally good points.

Did this include Muhammed inventing the dildo ?
SolInvictus
Said, not shown was the used.

He said in his first post:

ForeverIsMyName
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOv6sWURW8

He said that a video he posted summarised his thoughts.
sim90
looolllllll
:biggrin:

Ah, in the other thread we weren't allowed to speak about your sikh headscarves but you can laugh at demeaning videos eh?
I really am disappointed, I was hoping for some Muslims to defend themselves, but alas not. I think it does boil down to the superiority complex that seems to exist in a fair few Muslims, as others have said.
Common sense, actually. Many people hit their family members, this isn't considered as severe as violating against someone who is not part of your family. So if you say, for example, that your brother is a real **** *****, it is all right. But if someone else says that, you get your fist ready.
Besides, people are so incredibly hypocrite anyway that if it's in their interest they'll abuse and murder nearly anyone and then return to their holy temples/churches/mosques/synagogues and pray like they're the best people on planet.
It's not really the religions per se that have flaws, it's the people.
Totenkopf
Common sense, actually. Many people hit their family members, this isn't considered as severe as violating against someone who is not part of your family. So if you say, for example, that your brother is a real **** *****, it is all right. But if someone else says that, you get your fist ready.
Besides, people are so incredibly hypocrite anyway that if it's in their interest they'll abuse and murder nearly anyone and then return to their holy temples/churches/mosques/synagogues and pray like they're the best people on planet.
It's not really the religions per se that have flaws, it's the people.

The problem is that the analogy works out more like your mother abusing your stepbrother. Child services step in to remove the child, and you decide to start attacking social workers.
DanGrover
I think he was talking about organising a march against the normal Muslims who in turn aren't marching against the terrorists but are marching against Jack Straw.

Right... Well, doesn't sound like too bad an idea to me. In fact, they don't need to march against Muslims, they just need to march against terrorists. Instead of against cartoons. On another note, I'm glad to read in the Times today that the government is finally getting tough with the MCB over their unwillingness to properly engage extremism and their continuing unpalatable policies and propaganda.
Reply 55
So essentially I would be right in saying that no one person is able to give a rational explanation for the fact outside of admitting its hypocrisy and then claiming that its a human trait?

Not ONE member is able to tell use why?
People seem to have the idea that Muslims as a whole are one entity and therefore will speak out against something as a unit.

There are something like a billion muslims - when there were protests in London there were a few thousand of them doing it peacefully and maye a few hundred/thousand doing it violenty/with the banners etc. There were hundreds of thousands (maybe a million+) not doing anything. Who do you think we HAVE to come out and speak out against everything. I bet most people here against certain ideas do not go out and do anything i nreal life apart from bitch about it on forums.

My sister wanted to go to the march and do it peacefully - whereas I couldn't be arsed either way because I didn't see the point.

With the current climate whenever there is something bad said against Islam it will usually be the majority of extremists who will come out and that will be reported (i.e the second peaceful march against the cartoons were totally ignored)

I think in regards to the Saddam issue the world was a different palce back then - if anything I think the Sept 11th attacks have bought Muslims closer together internationally - its also given rise and allowed the extremists to have a bigger platform and therefore now whenever they come out to say something its expected that everyother muslim should come out and condemn them.

edit::

Oh and going back to the original point...firstly I think some of it was down to the world being different when Saddam was doing his business in the 1990's. I also think its a civil matter. Its hardly the same as invading a country and then causing 650,000 (BBC) casualties.

And yes it is a human trait and I have already touched upon, not everyone can be bothered to protest about everything just like I said about myself above and I do not feel the need to and as I said I bet most of you don't go out and condemn things against ideas you don't agree with (be it religion etc).

I would probably go out and march against things happening in my own city than thigns happening in foriegn countries.
JonathanH
Right... Well, doesn't sound like too bad an idea to me. In fact, they don't need to march against Muslims, they just need to march against terrorists. Instead of against cartoons. On another note, I'm glad to read in the Times today that the government is finally getting tough with the MCB over their unwillingness to properly engage extremism and their continuing unpalatable policies and propaganda.

The cartoon case was different. EVERY muslim was pissed off at that;and rightly so
JonathanH

The MCB isn't an elected party to represent all Muslims - but they are are the only group that does seem to speak for all Muslims because of the press platform they have. From my undertsanding the represent all the mosques - but anything they say or do isn't enforceable and nor will it really make much difference on a local level.

Much like the Pope doesn't represent everything Christian people think.
the_chauffeur
The cartoon case was different. EVERY muslim was pissed off at that;and rightly so

But Muslims do get bad press when they threaten violence to anyone who contradicts, mocks or merely speaks against any part of Islam (such as Jack straw).

Latest

Trending

Trending