The Student Room Group

Does it put you off if a guy is a wimp?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mankytoes
The thing is, no girl is going to go out with you out of sympathy. They usually want to feel secure, like the guy is going to stand up for them. I got picked on at school and I know it's horrible, I couldn't really do much then because I was tiny, the smallest kid in the whole school. But now, I would always stand up for my girlfriend. It isn't like you've got to follow some alpha male crap, it's just about that feeling of security.

With being bullied, it's like if a girl was twenty stone, but she explained it wasn't her fault, she has a medical condition, guys aren't suddenly going to say "aw, ok then, I will go out with you". It isn't that your attitude is necessarily your own fault, but women, like men, can't help what they find attractive.

I don't expect girls to go out with me cos of sympathy, i've changed my outlook on things since i was in school (it was like 6 years ago)
Yes.

It's cute then it gets overbearing.
Original post by Anonymous
Say if the guy is easily threatened, bullying or intimated and doesn't hold is own in a difficult situation. Is likely to run off id things turn ugly.

I'd say that's a massive turn off, tbh
I'm a straight male and can say I'd think less of anyone if they are a wimp.
Original post by Tomsta
I don't expect girls to go out with me cos of sympathy, i've changed my outlook on things since i was in school (it was like 6 years ago)

Ok, I'm not sure I got your point then, it sounded like you were talking in present tense.
Reply 25
Original post by Mankytoes
Ok, I'm not sure I got your point then, it sounded like you were talking in present tense.

They may have been my fault, i'm boderline dyslexic, what i meant is that when being bullied during ym school years this lead me to having very low self confidence (known as some people as being a wimp) however thanks to uni and work i am starting to change my view on things and certainly starting to stand up for myself more and if i ever meet any of my 'bullies' i'll tell them exactly where they can shove it and maybe punch them in the face
Original post by Anonymous
Girls does it put you off if a guy is a wimp? Likewise does it make you more attracted to a guy if he has balls or is assertive?

I dont think its important, all that matters is that they have a good personality
yeh cuz we want a man. weve already got a pussy
Original post by xylas
Now the part about you having lower self confidence "due to being bullied" is incorrect. No-one can make you who you are. You need to not talk about the past again and realise that right now you can live any life that you want. If you don't want a different life and are happy continuing to say you have low self-confidence, then that's fine but you are not hard done by and people are free to criticise that fact.

It would be an amazing power to be able to freely control what emotions you feel at any given time, and from personal experience I've come to realize that far more people have this power than I ever could have guessed. But I can certainly empathize with someone who does not have that power, telling someone to use that power is like trying to tell someone to speak when they have never learned any type of language.

Bullying is socially isolating, and social isolation leads to a lack of building of vital skills for the future at an age where they still don't understand that they need to build these skills (and if the isolation is bad enough, they may not learn what skills they need until they actually come to the point of needing them and wondering why they can't perform like everybody else). It's a sick form of brainwashing where the majority tell an individual that they're wrong, weak, ugly, and because it's the majority opinion, the individual believes it. It's a campaign against a person that goes on day after day, sometimes without respite or any means of retaliation. For some who do retaliate it leaves a black mark against their name for the rest of their academic life. So yes, someone can come out of bullying severely affected by it on a very real level.

I agree that does not excuse complete denial of the issue, running away from it, never making any efforts to improve or get help, these things are cowardly. However I wouldn't call wimp to someone who is struggling but making a good honest effort to improve themselves and face their darkest fears and insecurities, but still recognizes that what they went through wasn't acceptable.
Reply 29
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
It would be an amazing power to be able to freely control what emotions you feel at any given time, and from personal experience I've come to realize that far more people have this power than I ever could have guessed. But I can certainly empathize with someone who does not have that power, telling someone to use that power is like trying to tell someone to speak when they have never learned any type of language.

Bullying is socially isolating, and social isolation leads to a lack of building of vital skills for the future at an age where they still don't understand that they need to build these skills (and if the isolation is bad enough, they may not learn what skills they need until they actually come to the point of needing them and wondering why they can't perform like everybody else). It's a sick form of brainwashing where the majority tell an individual that they're wrong, weak, ugly, and because it's the majority opinion, the individual believes it. It's a campaign against a person that goes on day after day, sometimes without respite or any means of retaliation. For some who do retaliate it leaves a black mark against their name for the rest of their academic life. So yes, someone can come out of bullying severely affected by it on a very real level.

I agree that does not excuse complete denial of the issue, running away from it, never making any efforts to improve or get help, these things are cowardly. However I wouldn't call wimp to someone who is struggling but making a good honest effort to improve themselves and face their darkest fears and insecurities, but still recognizes that what they went through wasn't acceptable.

At first glance, this is a long post from someone I wasn't addressing. I agree, bullying is bad. But we live in the real world and unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) your past does not make your present any better. Also no-one's calling anyone a wimp, but if someone thinks they are a wimp then the fact they were bullied does not improve the way they are seen by girls, which is what this thread is about.
Original post by xylas
At first glance, this is a long post from someone I wasn't addressing. I agree, bullying is bad. But we live in the real world and unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) your past does not make your present any better. Also no-one's calling anyone a wimp, but if someone thinks they are a wimp then the fact they were bullied does not improve the way they are seen by girls, which is what this thread is about.

I know you didn't address it to me (and it really wasn't a long response at all) but you seemed to imply that your past shouldn't affect you now, that no matter how bad it was then you can do anything now, when the reality is that recovery can take a long time and a lot of effort. If that's not what you were implying I apologize but from what I saw that's what it looked a lot like. Bullying in school (to use an example) often leads to forced isolation for various reasons especially when it's the teachers doing (or joining in on) the bullying, which impedes on development and growth. For one person this might mean not even realizing what life skills they are missing out on and then having to catch up on really simple, basic things as they discover them in their adult years. How can someone like that do whatever they want? They might be able to in the future, but for the now they are going to have to work hard just to reach the same level that their peers were back in school.

Let's take someone who was bullied by crowds of kids, and became terrified of all crowds. The effect it has on this person is very physical, not just mental, and they can wind up in shock and needing medical care. How can they be told that their past didn't turn them out this way when they remember the incident(s) that caused it? What would that imply, that the fear is entirely self-inflicted or fake? In the future with therapy and time they'll be able to venture into crowds again, but for now as with the first example they need time.

To stay on-topic and answer the OP, would have to depend on the individual person and any redeeming qualities. Sucking up to everyone out of fear of reprimand, for example, is icky behaviour and very off-putting. Fleeing danger and leaving the vulnerable behind (such as children) is a poor quality in anyone, but especially a prospective partner. On the opposite end of the scale I would also be put off by a guy who sought trouble or escalated trouble just to look hard when things could be sorted out peacefully.
Some of you guys are fools if you think being tough makes you a better man. You forget some people get killed from knife attacks because theyve been standing up to the wrong type of people
Reply 32
Original post by chukster97
Some of you guys are fools if you think being tough makes you a better man. You forget some people get killed from knife attacks because theyve been standing up to the wrong type of people

Lets also remember there are tough men out there that beat the **** out of their wife and kids.
Original post by How Are You?
How does it feel to be a weakling who wants to depend on a guy to protect her?

Men are physically stronger than women. I'm smaller than most guys, but stronger than 99% of women.

Original post by chukster97

Being "tough" or "not a wimp" doesn't mean going looking for trouble, it just means being able to stand up to people if you feel it's appropriate. Yes, standing up to someone might get you hurt, but then again if you're seen as an easy target, you might get picked on and hurt anyway. It's not so much about yourself, as protecting women and children. I wouldn't say I'm a "tough" guy, but I'd always stand up for my girlfriend.

Original post by ngt93
Lets also remember there are tough men out there that beat the **** out of their wife and kids.

Depends how you define "tough", I wouldn't say that's tough behaviour at all. I'd say weak men are more likely to do that.
They like bad boys.
Them guys that stub out cigarettes on their neck
I don't mind if a guy hates fighting and the thought of it scares or unnerves him but as long as he can defend himself or me if it came to it, that's all that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomsta
I do hope you're not confusing being a nice guy with being a wimp, you can still be a nice guy and be assertive and have confidence

But anyway to answer the question, provided the (girl in my case) doesn't come off as a female Tony Stark (Narssastic etc.) then confidence is always an attractive quality, but shyness and be rather cute

Narssastic

That sounds like some sort of a disease.
For what its worth screw what girlfriends think.
If you want to defuse a situation,run away or keep your mouth closed then do that but never ever let anyone get the better of you infront of your wife or the mother of your kids because the time you aint got respect from your family you are in a bad bad place.
Dont even lose an argument infront of them because they will lose a certain amount of respect for you trust me
No, it doesn't put me off. I prefer it.

:sexface:
I prefer introverted guys only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending