The Student Room Group

History - choosing the right Uni..

Hi, I am international student. Plan to do law conversion after History undergrad. Any ideas about how to choose between LSE, St. Andrews and Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sparklespots
Hi, I am international student. Plan to do law conversion after History undergrad. Any ideas about how to choose between LSE, St. Andrews and Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally think Durham is better.
Reply 2
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I personally think Durham is better.

Hi Thx. Don't you think LSE being in London would have some sort of advantage, towards dealing with law firms and the conversion later?
Hi Thx. Don't you think LSE being in London would have some sort of advantage, towards dealing with law firms and the conversion later?

Ah didn't read about the conversion to law. Yes, it may have an effect. But in my personal view either would benefit you; LSE may give more fluidity to find contacts but if you're pressing I'm sure you could in Durham too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moved to University Courses :h:
Reply 5
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Ah didn't read about the conversion to law. Yes, it may have an effect. But in my personal view either would benefit you; LSE may give more fluidity to find contacts but if you're pressing I'm sure you could in Durham too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly I would compare course content and locations. Look on the website for course content but as far as location goes St Andrews is quite a small remote town, Durham a small city, both very different from London.
Hi, I'm currently doing a course called Pathways to Law at UCL and I would recommend you consider UCL as an option; they have a great Law and History departments and as you're looking to do a conversion (like myself) I know the Admissions staff are very helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by constantino_chr
Hi, I'm currently doing a course called Pathways to Law at UCL and I would recommend you consider UCL as an option; they have a great Law and History departments and as you're looking to do a conversion (like myself) I know the Admissions staff are very helpful.

Thanks. But it is too late now. My application went in quite some time ago.
Thanks. But it is too late now. My application went in quite some time ago.

Oh oops haha, so what did you go with in the end, out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not made up my mind yet. Have offers from all of these and SOAS. Waiting for one more. Struggling between LSE and Durham now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
St. Andrews being in Scotland (by the way a lovely place, though a bit remote), all undergrads are 4 year courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess it depends on what you're looking for, LSE is in an excellent location but Durham is world renowned for History but it's campus is quite remote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep.. the only place I have not visited is Durham. I reckon we still have some time to make a call..
As previously mentioned, one of the most important things to consider is the course content. You don't want to choose somewhere just for prestige and then find you hate the courses you take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
As previously mentioned, one of the most important things to consider is the course content. You don't want to choose somewhere just for prestige and then find you hate the courses you take.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true and I think both the unis are prestigious enough. I am inclined towards modern and international history. Will have to do some research..
Very true and I think both the unis are prestigious enough. I am inclined towards modern and international history. Will have to do some research..

LSE certainly focus on this area, with very few courses dating before 1600. Durham make you take at least one medieval and one early modern module in your first year.
Thanks for the heads up.
In terms of later reading Law, it wont make any difference which of those Unis you go to.

What sort of History do you want to study? Read this general advice :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices - in particular the bit about reading the individual course unit descriptions (for all 3 years of the course) in detail. Remember, you study the course for 3 years, not the Uni.
Original post by sydneybridge
In terms of later reading Law, it wont make any difference which of those Unis you go to.

What sort of History do you want to study? Read this general advice :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices - in particular the bit about reading the individual course unit descriptions (for all 3 years of the course) in detail. Remember, you study the course for 3 years, not the Uni.

Thanks. Very useful info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending