The Student Room Group

is it an absolute must to have maths a level to study medicine?

i am not a fan of maths and my a level choices are biology, chemistry, history and psychology.
i don't think i should take maths because i don't enjoy and at a level you should enjoy what you do because it takes up so much of your time.

I am in top set and am not bad at maths in the least but i don't enjoy it.

Advice welcome!
Reply 1
Could you take physics instead of history?
Reply 2
Original post by shiraavner
i am not a fan of maths and my a level choices are biology, chemistry, history and psychology.
i don't think i should take maths because i don't enjoy and at a level you should enjoy what you do because it takes up so much of your time.

Advice welcome!

Yes you need Maths. You can try and apply for Medicine without it, but I don't think many universities would take your application seriously.
Original post by Gax
Yes you need Maths. You can try and apply for Medicine without it, but I don't think many universities would take your application seriously.

Absolutely rubbish. Chemistry is required by all, most then want biology too. Maths is not required by any (Cambridge wants three sciences so could be physics or maths).

Original post by Summit

Why? History is a perfectly good choice. Once the OP has got bio and chem they should pick subjects they will enjoy and do well in, unless they want to apply to Cambridge.

Advice welcome!

Those choices are absolutely fine for medicine. Just work on getting those As

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Absolutely rubbish. Chemistry is required by all, most then want biology too. Maths is not required by any (Cambridge wants three sciences so could be physics or maths).

Why? History is a perfectly good choice. Once the OP has got bio and chem they should pick subjects they will enjoy and do well in, unless they want to apply to Cambridge.

Those choices are absolutely fine for medicine. Just work on getting those As

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Summit

I despise physics so no :P

Advice welcome!

It's not even a partial must - your current choices are fine. Yes, definitely do what you enjoy!
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
It's not even a partial must - your current choices are fine. Yes, definitely do what you enjoy!

Thanks!
Reply 8
To clarify, YOU DO NOT NEED MATHS AT A-LEVEL TO STUDY MEDICINE. It isn't "looked down upon" if you don't, it doesn't "lower your chances" and you don't need it to get into a "top medical school" (whatever that means). A*AA in three subject you actually enjoy is better than AAA in three subjects including maths.

(N.B. If you have a massive desire to study at the one Cambridge college that requires it, then yes, you do need maths. But that doesn't mean you need "maths for medicine" http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements)
You do NOT need maths, This is a myth spread by people who do not know what they are talking about, including misguided careers advisers at schools. You choices will be fine at any medical school apart from Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending