The Student Room Group

Amount of maths in economics bsc

Hey everyone, I'm doing A level maths and not handling myself badly. But I'd like to know whether Economics at uni involves Maths which is a lot tougher than a level?
cheers :smile:
Original post by lucasdragon
Hey everyone, I'm doing A level maths and not handling myself badly. But I'd like to know whether Economics at uni involves Maths which is a lot tougher than a level?
cheers :smile:

Depends what course and what uni but it should be in all cases, since A level maths is ridiculously easy
Reply 2
Original post by Mike_123
Depends what course and what uni but it should be in all cases, since A level maths is ridiculously easy

Do you do economics at uni?
Reply 3
Have a look at the course structure of the unis that you're interested in. Different courses really to vary from uni to uni, and it is really worth taking a read (it's boring but I guarantee you'll be grateful after your first year that you did).

You will also probably have optional units which are maths-heavy (game theory, finance, econometrics...), and those which aren't, so there's that to consider. It will also depend very much on which lecturers teach you!

In general the algebra gets more complex, but it's not rocket science and if you have taken A level maths you will be fine. If you take econometrics past an introductory course, that is usually very statistics-maths heavy.
Reply 4
Original post by heconrsp
Have a look at the course structure of the unis that you're interested in. Different courses really to vary from uni to uni, and it is really worth taking a read (it's boring but I guarantee you'll be grateful after your first year that you did).

You will also probably have optional units which are maths-heavy (game theory, finance, econometrics...), and those which aren't, so there's that to consider. It will also depend very much on which lecturers teach you!

In general the algebra gets more complex, but it's not rocket science and if you have taken A level maths you will be fine. If you take econometrics past an introductory course, that is usually very statistics-maths heavy.

Cheers! thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I will look more into the courses, although I don't really have a problem with maths. Just making sure i'm not signing up for a maths uni course haha!
Reply 5
Cheers! thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I will look more into the courses, although I don't really have a problem with maths. Just making sure i'm not signing up for a maths uni course haha!

No worries. If you're interested in any specific unis do mention them in your first post, I'm sure people will be able to offer more personal and precise insights :smile:
Good luck!
Do you do economics at uni?

yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending