The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Fallowfield (Richmond or Sheavyn) or Victoria Park?

Got an offer from Manchester for biomed, so sorting out my accommodation now

ive got epilepsy and my main triggers are tiredness and alcohol - which doesn't bode well for being at uni next year! I'm not gonna let it stop me from doing exactly the same as everyone else - going out and going to house parties etc - it just means I can't get really really drunk and I need to make sure I get enough sleep

so basically I do want to be somewhere social bc despite not being allowed to be wild like everyone else I still drink a bit and like going out, but I don't want to have the pressure of drinking loads/ getting no sleep which I think would be the case in OP/OH

If I still want a social side, would Victoria park be too quiet? Or is it not as bad as it is made out to be?
Reply 1
Original post by emily0211

ive got epilepsy and my main triggers are tiredness and alcohol - which doesn't bode well for being at uni next year! I'm not gonna let it stop me from doing exactly the same as everyone else - going out and going to house parties etc - it just means I can't get really really drunk and I need to make sure I get enough sleep

so basically I do want to be somewhere social bc despite not being allowed to be wild like everyone else I still drink a bit and like going out, but I don't want to have the pressure of drinking loads/ getting no sleep which I think would be the case in OP/OH

If I still want a social side, would Victoria park be too quiet? Or is it not as bad as it is made out to be?

If you want to get enough sleep but still go to lots of socials, go to Victoria Park. Fallowfield will not let you study or sleep as you will always be disturbed by endless parties and noises- a lot of my friends have changed their accommodation from Fallowfield to Victoria Park because they love partying but also wanted to have enough sleep at least 3 nights a week.

At Victoria Park, you will still have lots of socials, parties but will also be able to get some rest when you need it.

By the way, the quiet one is not Victoria Park, it is the City.

Hope this helps!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What the previous poster said is just not true. You will certainly be able to get enough sleep in Fallowfield. Don't pick Richmond Park - it has no community feel, because of poor communal facilities. Sheavyn is a bit better, as far as I can tell.

OP might be a bit much, though it is unrivalled socially, and you can get enough sleep there.

In general, I think catered halls have better cohesion. Lots of them also have bar areas with sofas and things, which Richmond and Sheavyn lack. Hulme Hall, for example, has a nice bar area.

Another thing to consider would be that there tend to be more returning second years at Victoria Park halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

I am not sure if you have already made your decision, however I thought I'd pitch in as a current first year student in halls! As the above post says, you will get sleep in Fallowfield, it is not quite as bad as you may hear. However, from my experience (as a really light sleeper), it is a lot easier to sleep without being woken at all in Victoria Park. Usually, I would say that Fallowfield would be fine and that you should not worry about the noise at all, since it should not be a problem... However if you have issues with epilepsy directly related to sleep and alcohol, I would recommend on that basis, Victoria Park for a balance between the social life of University, while still being able to get a good rest whenever needed just to be on the safe side of things.

I live in Victoria Park this year and go out quite a lot, as I posted (a very large post) in the accommodation topic, I explained my experience at Opal Gardens and how you will find a group of people who are just as wild as you almost anywhere you stay, even if it is even the city campus. I go out usually at least two times a week, though due to being on a student budget, it is hard to do any more than that. My friends in Fallowfield, are very similar, though due to it being nearer to the main area of student housing, they do sometimes go to more house parties. One thing to point out though is, like myself, if you have friends in Fallowfield (OP, OH or wherever) you can tag a long to any of those things when you want to anyway.

I agree that Fallowfield is not that bad, however I feel for someone in your position would be perfect in the balance that Victoria Park offers. It's up to you at the end of the day, but I feel you would not miss out on the action at Victoria Park, but you would likely be a bit safer on the epilepsy side of things!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending