The Student Room Group

Access to medicine 2015/16, The Manchester College

Afternoon everyone. I'm a Mature Student to be, I've just been for interview at TMC and was offered a conditional place on the A2M course on the spot. Anybody else in the same boat?

I have no traditional qualifications so was shocked to get on the course and to be told so in the interview rather than having to wait. I have just retaken GCSE's in Maths and English and am soon to retake Double Science (conditions are all come in at B to get on the course) after 8 Years in the Military in an unrelated job. Will be 28 just as the course starts.

Scroll to see replies

I have just applied to this course waiting to hear back! Looking into resitting science to top up from BC to AA
I'll also be re-sitting double science, in June. Let us know how you get on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
OMS - I finished my access course last June in pretty much exactly the same situation as you (ex-military, unrelated job).

Now in my second year of medical school, really enjoying it. Let me know if you need any info.

edit: I re-sat Maths and English to go from C/C to A/A* respectively, but didn't need to resit science.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Swist
OMS - I finished my access course last June in pretty much exactly the same situation as you (ex-military, unrelated job).

Now in my second year of medical school, really enjoying it. Let me know if you need any info.

edit: I re-sat Maths and English to go from C/C to A/A* respectively, but didn't need to resit science.

Were all of your other gcse's A/A*s???
I'm thinking about resitting most of them!
Reply 5
No, I had a 'healthy' mix of Cs and Ds.
Thanks Swist, PM heading your way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Quite inspirational you are! Wishing you all the best of luck in university
Reply 8
Hi guys, I've applied for an Access to Medicine in City and Islington College.

Two questions (for the current med students from A2M):

How did the universities view your application?

Which universities did you apply for?

(first post EVER!) :smile:
All,

I've been doing a bit of digging to see which Medical Schools will accept the Access to HE Diploma (Medicine) from the Manchester College (Previously known as MANCAT). I'm still waiting for some information back from some emails and will update as and when I get the feedback. Hope this isn't duplicated as its taken a bit of time, I couldn't find it anyway. This isn't a comprehensive list by the way, just what I've found. Take as a general guide that 45 credits at distinction are required, that way you won't go wrong!

UKCAT Medical Schools

University of Manchester A106 - 5 Years
Accepted

Cardiff University - 6 Years A104
Accept for foundation year program only, excerpt from their website:
'Applications from mature students through UCAS are welcomed. In view of the limited amount of space available on the UCAS form, mature applicants are advised to send an additional full curriculum vitae directly to the Admissions Office at the time of applying via UCAS. This C.V. should include the applicant's entire academic and professional background since entering secondary education and include activities undertaken each year since leaving school or college. The attention of mature applicants is drawn to the statement relating to the duration of the training programme.'

University East Anglia 5 Years - A100
Accepted

Hull York Medical School 5 Years - A100
Waiting for confirmation

Newcastle University 5 Years - A100
Accepted, 45 credits at distinction

University of Southampton 5 Years - A100
Accepted

BMAT Medical Schools

Cambridge 6 years - A100 (If you don't ask you don't get right?)
Email sent awaiting response

Oxford 6 Years - A100 (Again the worst they can do is say no!)
Email response as follows
'Thank you for your enquiry.
Some access courses allow students to take one or two A-levels as part of the course. This option is strongly recommended for students who wish to apply to Oxford. Conditional offers would be for A and A* grades in any A-levels taken. For Access courses that do not include A-levels, conditional offers are likely to be for successful completion of the course, with the majority of courses taken at level 3.

For science subjects, access courses will only be acceptable alternatives to A-level where the access course covers the same content as any required A-levels, to the appropriate standard. For example, Access to Medicine courses would only be sufficient if the course covers the same content as A-level Chemistry and an A-level in another science or Mathematics, to the appropriate standard. Candidates who do not have Biology, Physics and Mathematics to at least A-level standard would need to have studied these subjects to at least GCSE standard.
For further information about applying as a mature student, please see the mature students section of our website.'

University of Bristol 5 Years - A100
Accepted 30 credits distinction including 9 Chem 9 Bio/Phys and 15 at Mer.

BSMS - 5 Years - A100
Accepted

Leeds 5 years - A100
Manchester not accepted, Brighton and Sussex and College of West Anglia Kings Lynn access programs are accepted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,
Had a interview with Manchester College for the access to medicine course, starting September 2015. I have been offered an unconditional place. I'm a relatively young mature student, as i'll only be 19. I'm super excited to start and take my UKCAT test!
Original post by AliceLouisee
Hi,
Had a interview with Manchester College for the access to medicine course, starting September 2015. I have been offered an unconditional place. I'm a relatively young mature student, as i'll only be 19. I'm super excited to start and take my UKCAT test!

Nice one, hopefully I'll see you there then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I just got a letter today for a telephone interview. Does anyone know what questions I will be asked during the interview?
Thank you
I never had a telephone interview, but from what I hear it will be 'how have you prepared for the course' and 'why do
You want to study the course'. Let us know how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys,

Glad I found this thread. I'd been looking at doing Access locally , but only one Uni will accept that course, which is too many eggs in one basket really. So I've applied to TMC to do Access starting in Sept 15 - waiting to hear back.

I did A levels 12 years ago, my A2 year went badly wrong (family stuff) so I have BCCDA. I've since done professional qualifications, but none of the medical schools will accept them for graduate entry (rassen frassen rassen!).

If I get on to TMC we'll have to move down to Manchester for the year, but my OH is incredibly supportive. Looking at the Northenden campus so we can live in the 'burbs.

I've got the 600 UKCAT questions from the library and I'm currently at the point of feeling swamped by it, but I'm sure that will pass as I get more familiar with the material.

Great to see there's a little community forming already :smile:

PGxx
(edited 8 years ago)
So how does this access to medicine course work? Can you literally go on to medicine afterwards and become a doctor?
How does it work with UCAS if you're previous qualifications may not be up to scratch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just gained a place on this course. Really happy!! See you all in September!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakeyparamedic
Just gained a place on this course. Really happy!! See you all in September!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, did you have an interview? And what campus will you be attending?
Just had a telephone interview and will be attending st johns campus in Manchester City center! :biggrin:
Congratulations!!

Latest

Trending

Trending