Check out other Related discussions

I am stronger than 99% of women?

Scroll to see replies

Don't bother with that white knight, guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by what is life :/
Don't bother with that white knight, guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

To quote Langston Hughes, "I am so tired of waiting, aren't you, for the world to become good and beautiful and kind?" Stop looking for evidence of your own superiority to others and start finding ways of furthering equality through kindness.
I'm surprised at the lack of feminists in this thread claiming wiminz are just as strong as men.

I am pleasantly surprised.
(edited 9 years ago)
Jessica Ennis is about 5ft 2...her frame is tiny. She isn't big in the slightest, she just has low bodyfat.
Just checked and she is 8 stone something....
I doubt it would be 99% of the world's population - there is a lot of women in developing countries who spend all day doing manual labour so a lot of them are probably stronger than the average Western man who does no exercise.
Reply 46
Doesn't sound unreasonable. I am not particularly strong but I don't know a single woman who could do as heavy weights as I can. I am sure they exist, but they must be a miniscule minority.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I doubt it would be 99% of the world's population - there is a lot of women in developing countries who spend all day doing manual labour so a lot of them are probably stronger than the average Western man who does no exercise.

No
Original post by Viceroy
This thread is not about women, it's about a poster claiming that he is stronger than 99% of women. Whether or not that is empirically possible, it demonstrates that this poster (and others who have parroted the claim) feel the need to make a meaningless statements to boost their own self-image. It doesn't matter if men or women are physically stronger. It's not as if we have Battles of the Sexes or something. Anyone who actually cares about this has basically no self-esteem and is searching for ways to fallaciously appear 'better' than others.

The OP just asked if it was possible for a man to be stronger than 99% of women. The answer is, of course, yes. The discussion then moved to whether it was likely that the average man was stronger than 99% of women. As the study I linked to on the first page shows, this appears to be true in the specific domain of upper body strength.

I'm not sure why you're getting so het up about this, it's a simple enough question/discussion and I think you are attributing far too much latent intent to people - believe it or not, it's possible for me to make the (accurate) claim that I'm stronger than 99% of women in response to a question without feeling a smug sense of superiority at such. No one is claiming that that makes any sex 'better' than the other, either.
Original post by ClickItBack
The OP just asked if it was possible for a man to be stronger than 99% of women. The answer is, of course, yes. The discussion then moved to whether it was likely that the average man was stronger than 99% of women. As the study I linked to on the first page shows, this appears to be true in the specific domain of upper body strength.

I'm not sure why you're getting so het up about this, it's a simple enough question/discussion and I think you are attributing far too much latent intent to people - believe it or not, it's possible for me to make the (accurate) claim that I'm stronger than 99% of women in response to a question without feeling a smug sense of superiority at such. No one is claiming that that makes any sex 'better' than the other, either.

It is a statistically irresponsible claim -- It is impossible to prove, contingencies abound, and it lacks context. Therefore, it is invalid and simply an exercise in male posturing.
If hes say 6"2 and 200lbs+ then it's pretty damn likely that he could knock 99.9% of women the **** out, yes that is certainly not a stretch to believe
Original post by Viceroy
It is a statistically irresponsible claim -- It is impossible to prove, contingencies abound, and it lacks context. Therefore, it is invalid and simply an exercise in male posturing.

It is neither 'statistically irresponsible' nor impossible to prove that the average man has greater upper body strength than 99% of women. Again, see my post on the first page for a study supporting this.
It is neither 'statistically irresponsible' nor impossible to prove that the average man has greater upper body strength than 99% of women. Again, see my post on the first page for a study supporting this.

It is impossible to prove that an average man has greater upper body strength than the millions of women who represent 99% of women in the world. Therefore, it is a statistically irresponsible statement and, obviously, one that contains many contingencies. A 'study' does not change that. Furthermore, it is even more irresponsible to claim, as many posters have, that they themselves are stronger than 100% of women. This is one of the stupider threads because, even if any of this were provable, it would not matter in the slightest -- Why does anyone need to be stronger than all women? It what way is that useful? It is only useful insofar as it can be rolled out, as many posters have, as a (false) indicator of superiority.
Original post by Viceroy
It is impossible to prove that an average man has greater upper body strength than the millions of women who represent 99% of women in the world. Therefore, it is a statistically irresponsible statement and, obviously, one that contains many contingencies. A 'study' does not change that.

??? Either you don't understand statistics, or you're being needlessly pedantic about what 'proving' means in this context (and if it is the latter, then you should reject all empirical scientific theories, since validation of them is ultimately statistical in nature [i.e. results at 5 standard deviations of unlikelihood]).

Furthermore, it is even more irresponsible to claim, as many posters have, that they themselves are stronger than 100% of women.

Agree.

This is one of the stupider threads because, even if any of this were provable, it would not matter in the slightest -- Why does anyone need to be stronger than all women? It what way is that useful? It is only useful insofar as it can be rolled out, as many posters have, as a (false) indicator of superiority.

It isn't. But neither is it a question to condemn. Gender differences in distribution of strength is a valid query to be asked irrespective of the emotional baggage you are trying to bind to it. Just as it would be a valid question for someone to post their bench press PB and ask what percentile it falls in within their own gender. This is really no different - especially as no one except you is inferring it to mean 'men are superior to women'.

Or to put it another way, just because it is not generally useful in current society to have the ability to lift heavy weights, does not mean the question is invalid.

I honestly don't understand your objection at all.
x

I could not possibly care less about any of this. This entire thread is a meaningless exercise that has devolved into people making ridiculous claims about how they could best female Olympic athletes and about how women are physical jokes. Talk about non-existent self-esteem.

Viceroy is like a feminist troll, latches onto anything remotely misogynist and rips into it until you are praising women from the heavens.

PQ is one of the quieter feminists on here I understand. Eva Gregoria is (irony intended) a babe. Neither jump on ship the way that guy does.

I do my best not to pander to misandrists but nor to ignore that feminism is still necessary in areas esp. the Middle East and Asia (and Africa, to a lesser extent). Imo thread is pointless but it's ridiculous to call out anyone who admits to a statistical truth that 'on average men are stronger than women' a misogynist.
Reply 56
Original post by How Are You?
The first bit sounds believable since it's biologically proven that men produce more testosterone.

However, I'm still not sure about this, since a few days back, I debated about women not being physically stronger than men in a group discussion. And everybody said that more women are becoming stronger. And they have the capacity to gain more muscle.

For example:

It is possible, for example if the woman suffers from some testoserone production disorder or another physiological disorder for her muscle mass to exceed the norm.
Original post by ArtGoblin

This is what's wrong with society though

The average western man is a lazy, lard-assed loser who would rather watch TV and get drunk than actually do anything
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Viceroy is like a feminist troll, latches onto anything remotely misogynist and rips into it until you are praising women from the heavens.

PQ is one of the quieter feminists on here I understand. Eva Gregoria is (irony intended) a babe. Neither jump on ship the way that guy does.

I do my best not to pander to misandrists but nor to ignore that feminism is still necessary in areas esp. the Middle East and Asia (and Africa, to a lesser extent). Imo thread is pointless but it's ridiculous to call out anyone who admits to a statistical truth that 'on average men are stronger than women' a misogynist.

Do me a favor and step off. I'm not 'like a feminist troll' and do not behave in the way you've described -- If anything, the majority of people who post on this forum are 'like' male-supremacy trolls and find any excuse they can to posture about how superior they are to women and how stupid and weak women are. And I have not called anyone a 'misogynist' for claiming that 'on average men are stronger than women' (I have, in fact, admitted to that in many of my posts, but that wasn't the OP).
Original post by Viceroy
Do me a favor and step off. I'm not 'like a feminist troll' and do not behave in the way you've described -- If anything, the majority of people who post on this forum are 'like' male-supremacy trolls and find any excuse they can to posture about how superior they are to women and how stupid and weak women are. And I have not called anyone a 'misogynist' for claiming that 'on average men are stronger than women' (I have, in fact, admitted to that in many of my posts, but that wasn't the OP).

You couldn't see it. The same way I can't see I'm legitimately OCD about the gender wars and TSR in general.

Never denied there were lots of crappy misogynist trolls, hence why I try and give a balanced argument. Mine is…leaning towards MRA, but has roots in truth too. Remember most users of this site are, 'like', 17 and trying to be LADs, explaining the immaturity.

I'll scour through the quotes to see if what you are saying is correct.

You didn't answer my quote in my last thread, which suggests you are being selective in what opinions you give merit to.

Latest

Trending

Trending