The Student Room Group
Original post by jadechapell
I don't understand how you pay for university? You don't have to pay anything until you earn over £21,000? So what if you're like a homeless person and want somewhere free to live? Then couldn't you just go to university, have a free place to stay for a few years then not get a well paid job?:confused:

it's only the tuition fees that you pay back after leaving and once you're in work. While at uni you will have to pay for rent and food.
I don't understand how you pay for university? You don't have to pay anything until you earn over £21,000? So what if you're like a homeless person and want somewhere free to live? Then couldn't you just go to university, have a free place to stay for a few years then not get a well paid job?:confused:

I do not think it is as easy as this otherwise everyone would be doing that and getting away with it.
You do need about 10 good GCSEs and 3 good A levels!
LOL
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
it's only the tuition fees that you pay back after leaving and once you're in work. While at uni you will have to pay for rent and food.

But you can get a maintenance loan?
But you can get a maintenance loan?

That's still not enough money, unless you ONLY spend money on food
Reply 6
You need computer access to apply. Yes, homeless people could use library access but you need a library card, so you need an address. You then need an address for your ucas application and finance application.

You need qualifications and a willingness to study. In theory, someone could apply and get in but then they would fail first year exams and be thrown out after a year if they didn't intend to study.

The finance form asks for evidence of earning. Homeless people generally don't have jobs so have no evidence. I'm not entirely convinced the SLC would provide funding even if they could get past the address issue.

You need a knowledge if opportunities. Many people don't understand funding. Homeless shelters etc are massively underfunded so don't have the resources to tell everyone that uni is a possibility. I would also have thought that if someone was qualified to get into uni they'd also be qualified enough to get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's possible if they have qualifications and are prepared to work hard but difficult to manage. Most people are homeless because they have the sort of problems that would prevent them applying.

Latest

Trending

Trending