The Student Room Group

PhD experiences of..

Ok, the thing is that i am really really homesick here at university. I am in the first year of my PhD and i was just hoping to generate some anecdotes from other people about whether they stayed in their uni accommodation over easter/summer etc, or whether they just made sure they were present for meetings with their supervisors, meetings, seminars etc.

I am so homesick that the only way i can imagine getting through the 3 years is if i visit my parents every few weeks or something.

Do supervisors only work term time or are they around during the summer also?
OC_girl
Ok, the thing is that i am really really homesick here at university. I am in the first year of my PhD and i was just hoping to generate some anecdotes from other people about whether they stayed in their uni accommodation over easter/summer etc, or whether they just made sure they were present for meetings with their supervisors, meetings, seminars etc.

I am so homesick that the only way i can imagine getting through the 3 years is if i visit my parents every few weeks or something.

Do supervisors only work term time or are they around during the summer also?

They, and you, work all year round. Try and get over your homesickness because where you are studying is now essentially your hometown for the next 3 years. Find things to do like sport or other stuff if you haven't already, it does help.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying.

My PhD is a bit of a weird one, it's in creative writing so i basically have to write a novel and have 6 meeting with my supervisor throughout the year.
I have the Research Training module lectures which run from now to February and attendance to them is essential.

I was thinking that over the summer though i would perhaps return home to my parents for as much time as possible.
OC_girl
Thanks for replying.

My PhD is a bit of a weird one, it's in creative writing so i basically have to write a novel and have 6 meeting with my supervisor throughout the year.
I have the Research Training module lectures which run from now to February and attendance to them is essential.

I was thinking that over the summer though i would perhaps return home to my parents for as much time as possible.

That's okay, but I've found that my creativity goes down to zero remarkably quickly when I go home.
Reply 4
LOL yeah i find that a bit. But i find i am so homesick that i cannot concentrate here.

I'm going to have to get a bit more of a grip and get on with work here and then as a reward go home every once in a while on the condition i do some writing at home.

Latest

Trending

Trending