The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to Bournemouth for entry next year and it says they have an Intuition's own test(iot) can someone please briefly explain what this is mainly about. Is it just a logic test? Because I've heard you have to take one. I'm applying for the Computer Animation Arts Course.
Reply 2261
I was wondering if there are any students here familiar with the BA Animation course in Middlesex, is it good? I’m planning to attend an open day next Saturday. :smile:
Reply 2262
Original post by Specialeffect
I'm applying to Bournemouth for entry next year and it says they have an Intuition's own test(iot) can someone please briefly explain what this is mainly about. Is it just a logic test? Because I've heard you have to take one. I'm applying for the Computer Animation Arts Course.

Unless things have changed since I applied, I assume it's the logic test.
Hi all,

Finally found some time to upload this years Masters work. Hope you enjoy...

http://youtu.be/e5oZGR2Nvr0?hd=1

[video="youtube_share;e5oZGR2Nvr0"]http://youtu.be/e5oZGR2Nvr0?hd=1[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)

I assume you're aware of the portfolio requirements.
There are three tests:

Life Drawing - lots of fairly short studies instead of long detailed drawings. Its used more to see if you have a sense of weight, arcs of motion etc... 30 minutes long. (If anyone knows more about what this test is like it would be great.)

Maths - multiple choice test exploring a variety of mathematical concepts such as trigonometry, algebra and geometry. It's GCSE-level mathematics if that is of any help. 25 minutes long, without the use of a calculator.

Logic test -
explores a candidate’s technical competence. The test results will enable us to assess candidate’s level of understanding in the intellectual, creative and technical aspects of the course. I don't think you can really prepare for this one, but there are online tests to get you an idea of what the questions might be like. 30 minutes long.

If there's something wrong with the information I've given, please correct me. I've gathered this from BUask replies and internet forums. Sofronis, you could really help with this.

Good luck! I know I'll need it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lavinia94
I assume you're aware of the portfolio requirements.
There are three tests:

Life Drawing - lots of fairly short studies instead of long detailed drawings. Its used more to see if you have a sense of weight, arcs of motion etc... 30 minutes long. (If anyone knows more about what this test is like it would be great.)

Maths - multiple choice test exploring a variety of mathematical concepts such as trigonometry, algebra and geometry. It's GCSE-level mathematics if that is of any help. 25 minutes long, without the use of a calculator.

Logic test -
explores a candidate’s technical competence. The test results will enable us to assess candidate’s level of understanding in the intellectual, creative and technical aspects of the course. I don't think you can really prepare for this one, but there are online tests to get you an idea of what the questions might be like. 30 minutes long.

If there's something wrong with the information I've given, please correct me. I've gathered this from BUask replies and internet forums. Sofronis, you could really help with this.

Good luck! I know I'll need it.

That's pretty good. You have to realise the tests are really there to help guide the applicant as well as the academic. If you score low on the Maths or Logic test, its likely you will not be advised to do CVA or SDAGE. If you score low on Life drawing, they may not recommend CAA. But remember, you do have an interview, where you have the opportunity to show your portfolio - so we rely on that to help inform us of your creative ability as well ( like I have mentioned before in this tread; not everyone is a great illustrator or pencil artist, but they can demonstrate their creativity via sculpture, graphic design, painting, photography etc).

Cheers

Saf
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey everyone,

Some great news from Bournemouth, and I hope for the rest of the UK universities as well.

The NCCA at Bournemouth University and The Arts University College Bournemouth finally launched a new VFX and Animation Festival at BAFTA on Monday. Taking place in Bournemouth on the last weekend of September 2013, the festival will appeal to professionals and people in higher education, whilst also focusing on attracting an audience of pre-GCSE students, encouraging them to continue their studies in art, maths and the sciences. So expect a number of masterclasses, lectures, seminars, conferences, screenings, exhibition zones, gaming areas and public talks.

The event is kicked off in July, when a 6 week VFX and Animation competition starts on campus at BU. Students (or recent graduates) from around the UK will compete to produce a VFX or animation sequence - whilst being mentored by our industry partners which includes Framestore, Double Negative, MPC, The Mill, Cinesite, Blue Zoo, Glassworks, and many more. Replicating a film studio, participants will work in groups of up to five to produce a short visual effects or animated sequence using scripts created by the competition. Prizes include internships at the studios of our industry partners, as well as a variety or hardware and software. The competition is open to everyone in the UK studying at college and University, or has recently graduated in the last 6 months. Accommodation is free, and the team members are paid a stipend to compete. This is not a University vs University event - we are hoping that groups will form across different institutions - using a 'dating' site to help formulate relationships and teams; and where an applicant can upload their work and CV for consideration. More news very soon.....

In the meantime, spread the word, we need your support!

Check out the film we made using student work from the NCCA and AUCB -

[video="vimeo;53849290"]https://vimeo.com/53849290#at=0 [/video]

http://www.awn.com/news/events/bfx-comes-bournemouth

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10061085.Bournemouth_to_host_new _BFX_festival/
Reply 2267
Hey everyone!

It's my first post here and I swear, I tried to browse through all these topics about finding a suitable course but I could've missed something. Don't be mad at me if I repeat someones question.
I'd like to become concept artist/illustrator and I don't really know where should I go. My knowledge about universities at UK is minimalistic. Could you help me making a good choice?
* My first problem, is which type of study is really for me? Is it rather design or art (like they differ it at Univ of Edinbourgh here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?meta=6&cw_xml=index.php )?
* Second one, which courses are good and where I don't have to pass any tests? It would be rather problematic for me to do it, not in matter of knowledge, rather expensives of travelling and coming back to Poland where I live.
* Does anyone know how good (or bad : >) are studies at Univ of Edinburgh?
* I've read that requirements and things that I've to deliver till 15th January are:
- Personal Statement
- Reference from my english teacher
- Portfolio.
And I'd like to ask about portfolio. I draw for two years digitally and I've got my deviantArt gallery (link if anyone interested http://narholt.deviantart.com/gallery/ *cough, self promotion*). Should I include most of my paintings to show my progress or rather just choose the best ones? What's more, should I also scan some scribbles and little studies I've done traditinally?

I know I've asked many questions but answering even one of them would be great help for me!
Reply 2268
Hey Narholt
if you are into animation then Bournemouth is one of the best places you can join in the UK. Whatever your choice will be, don't go for 3D Modelling and Animation (Foundation then TopUp) as this will just draw back your career and you'll get absolutely NOTHING when you'll graduate from the course. Should you decide to join Bournemouth go for NCCA based courses, or if you have any relevant experience (work study etc) go directly to one of their Masters Degrees. These are quite awesome.
University of Kent usually comes as second choice, but I guess this depends what you want to get as both Universities offer quite similar programme. What slightly differs them are tools used during duration of the course.
If you've got cash to burn then go for Escape Studios at London. These guys are no doubt the best in the UK.
Reply 2269
Hey crism!
Thanks you very much for you reply. You gave me some useful information, however I'm almost sure I'll apply for De Montfort University. Some users in differend thread told me it's good school which has connections with british game industry. I think it's huge advantage.

Refering to you advice - I need 3 year full-time undergraduate course. I don't even consider one year 'preparation'. My aim now is to have BA grade, maybe I'll become MA : )
About my experience. I've 2 years experience in 2D digital art.

So, is there anything I should know about De Montfort?
We've been to DMU twice now for the open days, and seen both the Animation and Game Art departments. The Game Art appears very popular and oversubscribed. Last year they said it wasn't worth applying without having done an arts foundation. This year they said it was ok.

Their top priority (after UCAS points, which I guess they use as a filter?) was your portfolio, and they were looking for strong life drawing/observation skills.

They were at pains to point out that it is a hard degree, and you need to be very dedicated to take it on board.

(This was similar to other game arts courses we visited.)

I was impressed with the quality of work, and Leicester is a great city to be a student.
Reply 2271
Hey tangledweb!

Game Art Design is course I'd like to take up. I'm more into digital media so I think it's going to suit me better than some Illustration or Art courses on other universities.

I wonder about UCAS points as I'm not UK resident. I'm from Poland where we have matura exam and I hope my grades from extended maths and english language will be enough to get in.
Most of my works are done digitally and some kind of my portfolio (part made digitally) you can check out here: http://narholt.deviantart.com/gallery/ I know it's somehow self-promotion but I just want to calculate my chances. I also have some perspective/life drawings and exploration about eg. armored infranty vehicle and this kind of stuff. They are done with pencils mostly and sometimes with ink.

I'm determined and passionate about graphics, so I wouldn't worry about this course being hard : )
Original post by Narholt
Hey tangledweb!

Game Art Design is course I'd like to take up. I'm more into digital media so I think it's going to suit me better than some Illustration or Art courses on other universities.

I wonder about UCAS points as I'm not UK resident. I'm from Poland where we have matura exam and I hope my grades from extended maths and english language will be enough to get in.
Most of my works are done digitally and some kind of my portfolio (part made digitally) you can check out here: http://narholt.deviantart.com/gallery/ I know it's somehow self-promotion but I just want to calculate my chances. I also have some perspective/life drawings and exploration about eg. armored infranty vehicle and this kind of stuff. They are done with pencils mostly and sometimes with ink.

I'm determined and passionate about graphics, so I wouldn't worry about this course being hard : )

I'm from outside the UK too. Tariff points don't apply to us. I emailed the universities I was interested in and they told me what grades they required for students of my country. You should do the same. Otherwise, you could waste UCAS choices (you only have 5, make sure you apply to unis which you actually have a chance of getting in).

By the way, they may want you to have a matura in Art. I don't know if there is such a thing in Poland. Here in Bulgaria there isn't, so I had to explain the situation to them.

Are you applying for the 2013/2014 academic year?
Narholt,
I remembered there was a discussion about concept art etc. on this thread. If you look around post 2150 there are some posts which may be of interest.
Reply 2274
Tangledweb,
thank you, I'll look into it. I'm afraid I just gave up and didn't really read the whole 116 pages of this thread.

Hey lavinia94,
yes I do apply for academic year of 2013/2014 as I was born in '94 (the same as you, basing on your nickname).
We have neither Art matura nor Art as a subject in our high schools. I've emailed DMU a few days ago and I'm still waiting for their response therefore I won't e-mail them once again. Only thing I can to is to wait for their reply and then ask about grades I need.

About UCAS choices, it might sound like I'm too self-confident and reckless but so far I thing I'll apply only for De Montfort as I couldn't find anything that would suit my needs that well. So you know, win or loose :tongue: Maybe I'll think of some other university later on, closer to the deadline.
Original post by Narholt
Tangledweb,
thank you, I'll look into it. I'm afraid I just gave up and didn't really read the whole 116 pages of this thread.

Hey lavinia94,
yes I do apply for academic year of 2013/2014 as I was born in '94 (the same as you, basing on your nickname).
We have neither Art matura nor Art as a subject in our high schools. I've emailed DMU a few days ago and I'm still waiting for their response therefore I won't e-mail them once again. Only thing I can to is to wait for their reply and then ask about grades I need.

About UCAS choices, it might sound like I'm too self-confident and reckless but so far I thing I'll apply only for De Montfort as I couldn't find anything that would suit my needs that well. So you know, win or loose :tongue: Maybe I'll think of some other university later on, closer to the deadline.

It's exactly post 2150. I checked it out, there's some very useful info there.

I actually read the whole thread, as crazy as that sounds. Took me about a week, but it was worth it. I'm pretty much the opposite of you. I have a notebook with notes about every course I researched that was even remotely related to what I wanted...

I'd really recommend you looked a bit more into it. There's a lot of competition for these courses. And there isn't that much time left.

Good luck!
Original post by lavinia94

I actually read the whole thread, as crazy as that sounds. Took me about a week, but it was worth it.

I don't think it's crazy at all. This thread is an invaluable resource, IMO, as a supplement to other university sites and open days. I've read it too :smile:
Thanks SO much lavinia94 and Sofronis, you really helped take a load off. I thought getting in depended solely on passing all those tests together. Im not the best at maths so I have to brush up and I've tried programming which is why i decided to apply for the CAA course instead of CVA one. My life drawing is good, but I like to take time on it, so I need to get practicing at doing quick sketches. Also Portsmouth wants 5 examples of life drawing, x5 observational colour studies etc, does bournemouth have a minimum/maximum amount of work they would like to see in a portfolio?
, does bournemouth have a minimum/maximum amount of work they would like to see in a portfolio?

Not really - Just show us your best work; things you are proud of and happy to talk about until the cows come home. Sketch books are also really useful!

Bear in mind you have about 20-30mins per interview - so don't go too crazy with the amount of work you show - be slightly selective! :0)

Cheers

Saf
Reply 2279
Hello everyone, here's a little eye candy for you all :smile:

University of Hertfordshire Digital Animation Showreel 2012 - 2013, something for everyone (2D, 3D, Games Art and VFX)

[video="vimeo;55198000"]https://vimeo.com/55198000[/video]

Hope you enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest