The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey 'Deadfish41'

How did you interview at bournemouth go yesterday?
Hope it went well for you.

Chris
Reply 21
Hi, I just came across this thread,
and I had my interview for bournemouth on the 17th as well, I wanted to know how everyone else found it?
I though the math test was REALLY hard especially as they give no indication before hand on what it might be on, I think everyone found it really hard. It said on the first page "we expect you to get 24 out of 36", I'm not sure I did, and I also don't know how important it is, ie, if I didn't reach the target might I still get in or is is 'no pass, no offer'...
The logic test was wierd but do-able and there was no target we had to reach printed on the front, so I don't know what that means...
The life drawing is ...ok, as long as you can draw, I struggled a little near the end but it was essentially ok
and the interview went fine, I think, Though I felt a little overdressed as there was only 1 other person (out of the 18 there) who wore a suit aswell as me, everyone had come in jeans etc.

Also does anyone know when we find out the outcome of whether we get an offer?
Reply 22
lol hey surrealist.. i was at the interview as well..
i was the one with the really curly hair.. and i walked in late for the logic test lol..
i found the maths test really easy, but ive done Alevel maths in one year. i got 97% on it :biggrin:
the logic i got 80% on... i found it quite confusing at first with all those stupid coins in the piggy banks :s-smilie: did my head in that did... but the rest of that test was alrite
the life drawing for me was alrite until we had to do drawings in 2mins and 1min :s-smilie: mine SUCKED
before i left the interview i looked over the guys shoulder (phillip allen) while i was packing away my stuff and noticed he ticked the conditional box for me!! :biggrin: so im well happy about that!

but yeah the maths test was harder than i was expecting it to be as i heard it was meant to be gcse standard, and it had alevel questions in there.

i think i remember you "surrealist".. you had animations on your ipod? and were showing it to mike who was also in a suit? lol your character animation on your site is really gd man...well done
i think they said offers should be around 2weeks in the post or on the ucas track, who did you have for your interview?
Reply 23
Hey Surrealist, i was at the interview on wednesday too! i was one of the two girls, the one in the red glasses!
i found the maths test REALLY hard, some of the questions you either knew or you didnt but i passed...just! 72%
and the logic test was kind of confusing, i kept changing my mind and the tick boxes got all messy so i had to write next to them TRUE or FALSE! but i got 80% so thats fine
i found the life drawing REALY fun, the 1 minute ones wern't too good, but i don't expect anyone managed to do a masterpiece in one minute!
the interview was absolutly fine, he (that Ari guy who did the talk before) only asked me questions about my artwork and he asked me why i wasn't choosing to study fine art...that was it, and he said i'd find out in two to three weeks so fingers crossed!
good luck!
Reply 24
How did you guys know what your results were?! I never found out...
I will have to wait for 2 weeks, I don't think I will get in, I think I may not have passed the math test :-(

Art Nerd: I think I remember you, you were sitting at the opposite side of the room to me (with the other girl), that room was so wierd! That guy who started talking about chicken was soo funny, lol, he will probably get in!
And yeah, I hardly got asked any questions either, just 1 (which he asked again at the end), "have you any questions for me?", I really wasn't expecting it at all, (I though interviews were when WE were asked questions, lol) I didn't really know what to say...

Deadfish41: I'm happy that you got a conditional, congrats =D, and thanks I'm glad you liked the animations! ...Oh yeah, I had the guy who had really long (rasta-like) hair, I can't remeber his name (I'm rubish with names, hehe)

I don't suppose any of you saw (or remember) what I got on the offer sheet?
(name: Matt Carter).....
Reply 25
at the interview the guy showed me what i got wrong in the maths test, and told me my percentage for the logic... he then got out all the life drawing i did in the test, and told me what he thought about my drawing skills.. i thought it sucked, but he seemed to like it..
he didnt have a list of "offers" i dnt think, it was just on the sheet he had when he was asking me questions.. at the top of it it had my results from the 3 tests, and then a set of questions with a scale of "high quality to low" and i saw he ticked all the "highs"
and then at the bottom it had a few boxes

"unconditional" "conditional" "unsuccessful"

and i saw he ticked the conditional one, but i dnt wanna count my chickens before theyve hatched, so im not in until i get a letter from them.

good luck man, hopefully u get in
Reply 26
Wow sounds interesting.

What did everyone dress up in, smart causual or Jeans as someone said above?

And how did the life drawings go, was it quick poses or something? And do you need to bring all your drawing equipment like paper and pencils etc?

Hope every does alright, mines on 31st. I would have been on the same day as you, but i changed mine because of mu exams.

Chris
Reply 27
Surrealistic- yeh thats me! that chicken guy was great, we would have just sat in silence otherwise! i thought they had done the interviews in alphabetical order by surname because mine was near the end(my surname's smith) and the other people left seemed to have later surnames but obviously not because you were there for quite a long time...anyway...
i looked at your website, the mannequin animation was phenomenal i realy loved it! bournemouth would be stupid not to have you even if you did fail the maths test (which you probably didnt anyway!)

Welshboyomon
- most of the guys there were wearing jeans and stuff, a couple were in suits, a couple with suit jackets and jeans, i shouldn't worry too much to be honest!
all of the materials are provided, pens in the maths and logic test, paper and pencils in the drawing test, but you might want to take a rubber because the woman wouldnt give us any, she said we shouldnt need them, but i had one in my bag and she didnt say anything about using it!
the life drawing was loads of different poses of different lengths- starting off with a ten minute sitting pose, then a seven minute lying pose, then three minutes walking pose, where he did like three stages of walking, you had to draw them on the same page, three minutes for each bit, then a lifting a bag pose which was the same i think, 3 minutes, then one where he kind of pretended to do a bow and arrow thingamy, we had 1 minute to draw each bit of the pose, that was realy hard but no one did masterpieces in one minute!
You dont realy have anything to worry about especially wit the interview, just take loads of work with you and they'll spend all the time talking to you about that!
good luck!
Reply 28
Art Nerd: Thanks (I love it when people say that, heh), and yeah I hope they accept me even though I probably did fail the test,I hope they accept me anyway other wise I will not be able to talk to you guys in person... :-(

Deadfish41: Annoyingly I saw him write/tick something on his piece of paper at the end, DAMN I should have looked, lol ;-P
And thanks, yeah I hope (HOPE HOPE) I get in =D

Welshboyomon: Don't worry about dressing up, I was one of 2 (out of 18) who actually DID dress up, I ended up feeling more out of place and uncomfortable than if I had come in jeans etc.
And as anothe bit of advice, for the math exam, learn all of the triganomery stuff (ie, sin 90 = ? stuff) as it is bound to come up again, + there are so many questions they can ask about it. I fumbled on some of them because I dodn't learn it, I don't wants you to make the same mistake as me =D
Good Luck for the 31st!
Reply 29
Wow... A BIG thanks to everyone for the heads up, it's so nice of you to help me.

I think from what you said, i'll just dress up in what i wear for Golf, smart trousers and a nice T-Shirt or something.

Trigonometry i'm pretty solid at, it was a huge part of C3 (Maths module) that i've just completed.

Did they ask you any questions like why are you suited for bournemouth, or what film you like (animated or non-animated)?
Reply 30
Surrealist- you're welcome =D i hope they accept all of us how cool would that be! oh and i saw the man write something on his papers after i finished my interview too but i was too busy putting my artwork away...if only i'd looked over at it dammit! oh well we don't have that long to wait! eek im so scared, if i dont get it im screwed!
oh and i swear i saw you coming up the stairs with the rastafarian guy to go to your interview when i was going down the stairs after mine! was that you?

Welshboyoman
- they honestly don't ask you any questions in the interview like that, all of the questions are about your portfolio, e.g. why you like a particular artist you have studied, why you did something in a particular medium etc etc. i got into this big discussion about fractals because that's what i'm doing my current art coursework on, so yeh just make sure you know your artwork!! and the only question he asked me was why i wasn't applying to study fine art
that was IT! obviously you may get different questions but they didnt seem to have a set of questions they had to asked everybody
but don't hold me to that! i'd hate it if you got LOADS of questions which you hadn't prepared for!

do any of you guys have myspace (apart from deadfish41! got him!)
mines www.myspace.com/abbies
Reply 31
Art Nerd: Yeah it would be seriously cool if we all get in, I wanna see you guys again! And yeah it probably was me...but to be honest I really can't remember (I was in a serious staye of shock/nervousness, I wan't really paying attention to everything around me, lol)
We have to email eachother when we find out whether we got it! Did you also only apply to bournemouth?
As for myspace (I know this apauling) but I still don't really know what it is...sorry, if you mean a site where you post stuff, I am a member of DevaintArt: http://MattCarter.deviantart.com
Are you on gmail/gtalk?
Reply 32
yeh we'll have to post on here when we get the all important letter!

i wanted to only apply to bournemouth but my school has this stupid policy where you have to apply to two unis so i put portsmouth down for the sake of it even though the course was crap, i got a conditional offer but wouldnt go there if i didnt get into bournemouth

erm myspace is just like a website thing where you can add people and talk to them and stuff, ive got some of my artwork on mine not as impressive as your animation though!
i was going to join deviantart but i didnt realy understand it!!
i have hotmail
but not gmail
im a bit useless!
i'll message you my hotmail address if you want
do you have msn?
i'll stop with the questions

oh and you can call me Abs, Art Nerd sounds really stupid i dont know why i chose that as my username!

xxx
Reply 33
Art Nerd

(apart from deadfish41! got him!)

yup... its fun sending each other the essays over myspace lol..

Welshboyomon

Trigonometry i'm pretty solid at, it was a huge part of C3 (Maths module) that i've just completed.

Did they ask you any questions like why are you suited for bournemouth, or what film you like (animated or non-animated)?

Theres also Logs in there, and natural logs... (Ln(e^x)) etc...i think they'll give you a different test to what we all had tho, because they must know that people will talk about it online lol..

they asked me why i chose the course over other uni's.. i just said cause it had a good balance of maths/computing as well as art and animation, and teaches you most aspects of animation and not just the arty side. Also its recognised as probably the best in the uk for animation blah blah blah....

he was mainly just askin questions about my portfolio, and if ive done figure/life drawing before the tests..

theres no tricky questions lol..

good luck
Reply 34
Abs: DeviantArt may seem a little complicated at the start, but it has a really cool comunity atmosphere. Anyway, unfortunately I'm not on MSN but I do have a gmail acount which you can email: [email protected]

And BTW you can call me Matt, 'surrealist' is just an abreviation of surrealistic animation (my website) which I always use as usernames.

2/3 weeks seems like an eternity for me, I am really nervous about finding out whether I got in or not. I have been doing animation for years and I have wanted to go to bournemouth for just as long. After what happened on wednesday I had to really consider the fact that I may not get in. I am trying to be optimistic =D,
yay for optimism, lol
Reply 35
Cool cheers for the heads up "Deadfish41". A lot of Natural logs and e's were in the Maths i've just covered, plus i do Computing and am pretty solid at programming, so i can talk loads about that.
Reply 36
Matt, i've just taken a look at your animations on your website...

:eek:

They are amazing, the mannequin animatons is sooooo good, and the traffic lights, wow... Truely amazing.

Did you you show the interviewer those animations, and all that other work on your site? If you did, they would be mad to turn you down. You would be like a year ahead of everyone if you got it.
Reply 37
welshboyomon: Thanks! I showed the interviewer a showreel collection of ALL of my animation work best bits, including long sections of the animations on my website but to different music (the song that was played throughout the showreel), he didn't seem too impressed (or he didn't show it) :frown: , the bit he said was his favourite was the bit in The Artist's Model where the paper is pushed off the desk?! That bit is so insignificant compared to all the other work I have done, I was quite shocked (and upset) that he chose that as his favourite bit.... :hmpf:
He then asked me how I did it (the paper bit) and I though for a second (I couldn't remember, lol) Then I remembered and explaned it to him, and he nodded. To be honest I would have liked some general feedback on what he though of my work in general (ANY feedback on ANY of my work!) but he never said much... I wish my interviewer was like the one that interviewed Deadfish41, that guy talked about his work and said what he liked about it..
anyway there is not much point dwelling on the past
Good luck on your interview
Reply 38
Surrealist
I wish my interviewer was like the one that interviewed Deadfish41, that guy talked about his work and said what he liked about it..

Sounds wierd to call me "deadfish41" lol... call me Dan :smile: , deadfish is just a username ive used on everything ive made an account for.. myspace, msn etc..
and yeah my interviewer was quite a decent guy i thought..

if i can remember correctly the other 2 interviewers were the ones who teach the programming/computing side of the course, so i guess they didnt know much about "art" ?
Reply 39
Deadfish41

if i can remember correctly the other 2 interviewers were the ones who teach the programming/computing side of the course, so i guess they didnt know much about "art" ?

my interviewer knew quite a lot about art, must have just been the rastafarian guy who didnt take much of an interest in that side of things!
my one kept asking me all these questions about mondrian, because i referenced one of his tree paintings in my work, he was asking me if i liked his earlier or later work and i was like eeeeh i dont know i like both!?!

I didn't think i was an impatient person but I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!! i can't cope
im gonna check my ucas track! ha like theyve changed it already

Quick Reply

Latest