The Student Room Group

halls of residence 3rd year

hey, so i was wondering if i should stay in the halls of residence in my 3rd year. my first two years i have been staying at home and have barley made any friends, i also have never attended a orientation event or even a party at university as i'm a bit shy. so i thought that staying in the halls in my 3rd year with freshers would be a good way to make friends and be social. would it be weird to be a 3rd year in the halls?
It'll be a little odd, but you can probably get away with it if you say you couldn't afford it the first two years but wanted to get the experience of halls. You might get put with other people who are in later years though which could be the only downside as they may not be up for partying and otherwise making friends as much as freshers would.
Reply 2
it'll be fine.
nobody is going to give a ****.
if anything it'll be easier to make friends since you're a uni veteran, a member of the educational old-guard. you've already ran the gauntlet of essays that the freshers are going to have to deal with.
Reply 3
You are a brave person but I admire your courage and your thinking that you want to try it before it is too late.

It depends what uni you are in how likely you are to even get halls in the 3rd year and, if so, whether you will be with fellow 3rd years or Freshers. York for instance actually had a policy (in 1999) of having 3rd years in the same halls as Freshers, perhaps to calm the Freshers down lol!

The advantages:- (assuming you get placed with Freshers!)
1. You will live closer and thus in theory have more time for studying.
2. You don't say if you're male or female. If male, girls tend to go for slightly older men, so you could be in! If female, your fellow Fresher hallmates may adopt you as their 'mother' (although this can happen quite irrespective of actual age!)
3. You know the uni and so can help out your hallmates that way.
4. Some Freshers have had a gap year and two or more gap years is not unheard of. You may end up having friends of a similar age!

The disadvantages:-
1. While all of your flatmates are discussing houses for 2nd year, you will be graduating! (or could you actually do a 4th year and join them?)
2. The obvious one is a scenario where you are swotting up for Finals and you have rowdy first years outside!

But I say go for it!
Reply 4
Ok I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys
Reply 5
Original post by ggnoob117
Ok I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys

Good for you! Life is too short to wonder 'what if.'

PS this may throw another thing to think about but if you are really feeling like you are missing out NOW, what's stopping you finding out of there are any free places in Halls starting in January as people are always dropping out! Or would a January start be too 'weird?'

Infact why not 'practice' by going in in Jan ready to meet proper all in the same boat types in Sept?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending