The Student Room Group

Physics and Mathematics Mechanics overlap?

In terms of content material how similar are the mechanical parts of a Physics A-level to that of math (M1, M2)

As I am going to sit a full a level in math this summer, I was thinking of sitting two physics papers (Physics A) that have partially mechanics in them (the 2nd on Mechanics, Materials and Waves; and 4th on Fields and Further Mechanics). Considering it's just Materials, Waves, and Fields, I was thinking of covering them now and doing my other papers and practicals in 2016.

How much mechanics is there in physics that will require a separate study from the math of M1 and M2. I've heard from someone that M1 generally covers them both, but would want a more detailed answer.
Original post by studentFlipper
In terms of content material how similar are the mechanical parts of a Physics A-level to that of math (M1, M2)

As I am going to sit a full a level in math this summer, I was thinking of sitting two physics papers (Physics A) that have partially mechanics in them (the 2nd on Mechanics, Materials and Waves; and 4th on Fields and Further Mechanics). Considering it's just Materials, Waves, and Fields, I was thinking of covering them now and doing my other papers and practicals in 2016.

How much mechanics is there in physics that will require a separate study from the math of M1 and M2. I've heard from someone that M1 generally covers them both, but would want a more detailed answer.

I can only judge for the physics specification that I took but the mechanics in M1 and M2 goes well beyond the mechanics covered in Physics, at least in terms of difficulty. There are some topics like circular motion and gravitation that aren't covered in M1 or M2 that are in physics but to be honest, I really don't see that's a problem - I'm fine with them having not done M3 yet.

So at least in terms of content, there really isn't very much mechanics in physics that isn't in M1 and M2 (certainly not at AS Level), but obviously don't go into those physics exams not having carefully gone over the specifications because there's definitely more to both of those exams than mechanics. Also, make sure that your plan is possible - I don't know if it's possible to do random AS and A2 units.
M1/2 covers most of Physics.

Depends on board though. Like if Edexcel, Physics has SHM, Circular motion and gravitational forces. Which M1/2 won't cover on edexcel.
Original post by Chlorophile
I can only judge for the physics specification that I took but the mechanics in M1 and M2 goes well beyond the mechanics covered in Physics, at least in terms of difficulty. There are some topics like circular motion and gravitation that aren't covered in M1 or M2 that are in physics but to be honest, I really don't see that's a problem - I'm fine with them having not done M3 yet.

So at least in terms of content, there really isn't very much mechanics in physics that isn't in M1 and M2 (certainly not at AS Level), but obviously don't go into those physics exams not having carefully gone over the specifications because there's definitely more to both of those exams than mechanics. Also, make sure that your plan is possible - I don't know if it's possible to do random AS and A2 units.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
M1/2 covers most of Physics.

Depends on board though. Like if Edexcel, Physics has SHM, Circular motion and gravitational forces. Which M1/2 won't cover on edexcel.

Well I am in the midst of my C4, and I've done about half of M1. Once I finish intergrals I was thinking of completing my M1, and then covering physics topics. Or maybe also doing M2 and then doing physics, although it will cut my physics study time short until exams.

As for specification, I've had a brief look over it, but the issue for me is that I am not familiar with the context that well as of yet. And obviously you are right, I am not going to go into a physics exam without working past papers, the thing that I question however is the material itself. The reason as for why I was wanting to do 1 paper from the AS and another from A2, is because both of them have mechanics parts. The 4th paper only has mechanics and fields (looking at AQA), and the 2nd has materials and waves with mechanics. So it more or less leaves me with 3 topics to study, and I would expect the papers to be proportional in respects of topic material? If I were to do AS this year, and sit the first paper instead of fourth, I'd have to study Particles, Quantum Phenomena and Electricity instead of just fields for the 4th. I hope you see what I am trying to say here, if I were to do M1 and M2, I'd probably cover that material anyway, and the only reason why I am not sitting other papers is because I think that I wont have enough time to study them, while those papers with mechanics might make it easier for me so I could get them out of the way.

I guess what you are guys trying to say is that circular motion and gravitational forces is an add on that I would need to look in past M1 and M2.

Would you say it's a good idea to start doing those Physics topics when I'm done with M1, or are there a lot of mechanics in Physics that will be covered in math M2?
Original post by studentFlipper
Well I am in the midst of my C4, and I've done about half of M1. Once I finish intergrals I was thinking of completing my M1, and then covering physics topics. Or maybe also doing M2 and then doing physics, although it will cut my physics study time short until exams.

As for specification, I've had a brief look over it, but the issue for me is that I am not familiar with the context that well as of yet. And obviously you are right, I am not going to go into a physics exam without working past papers, the thing that I question however is the material itself. The reason as for why I was wanting to do 1 paper from the AS and another from A2, is because both of them have mechanics parts. The 4th paper only has mechanics and fields (looking at AQA), and the 2nd has materials and waves with mechanics. So it more or less leaves me with 3 topics to study, and I would expect the papers to be proportional in respects of topic material? If I were to do AS this year, and sit the first paper instead of fourth, I'd have to study Particles, Quantum Phenomena and Electricity instead of just fields for the 4th. I hope you see what I am trying to say here, if I were to do M1 and M2, I'd probably cover that material anyway, and the only reason why I am not sitting other papers is because I think that I wont have enough time to study them, while those papers with mechanics might make it easier for me so I could get them out of the way.

I guess what you are guys trying to say is that circular motion and gravitational forces is an add on that I would need to look in past M1 and M2.

Would you say it's a good idea to start doing those Physics topics when I'm done with M1, or are there a lot of mechanics in Physics that will be covered in math M2?

For OCR B physics, I think a good student who has studied M1 and M2 would be able to cover the mechanics in AS and A2 physics in a week. If you're good at maths, you won't find the mechanics in OCR B difficult. SHM and circular motion are new topics but neither are particularly difficult. As I said, I can't judge the logistics of your plan but in terms of the workload, I think it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest