The Student Room Group

Applying for a transfer - Who should write my reference?

Hey :smile:
So I'm applying for an uni transfer, and I'm not sure who should write my reference.
I would ask one of my uni tutors to do it, but they don't really know me...
I could also ask my high school teacher, but their reference would be based on my high school work, and I think unis would prefer something more recent?

What do you think I should do?
Original post by Nessie162
Hey :smile:
So I'm applying for an uni transfer, and I'm not sure who should write my reference.
I would ask one of my uni tutors to do it, but they don't really know me...
I could also ask my high school teacher, but their reference would be based on my high school work, and I think unis would prefer something more recent?

What do you think I should do?

Ideally it should be someone from your current uni. It doesn't have to be your tutor - if you know another lecturer better then they may be willing. If you don't know anyone well then book an appointment with your tutor to talk about transferring out and to ask them to be your reference.
Original post by PQ
Ideally it should be someone from your current uni. It doesn't have to be your tutor - if you know another lecturer better then they may be willing. If you don't know anyone well then book an appointment with your tutor to talk about transferring out and to ask them to be your reference.

Please may I add to this by asking a question. Do you have to re-do your personal statement or can you use an old one?
Original post by MissLalaxx
Please may I add to this by asking a question. Do you have to re-do your personal statement or can you use an old one?

You can reuse your old ps. It would be a missed opportunity not to update and improve it though.
Original post by PQ
You can reuse your old ps. It would be a missed opportunity not to update and improve it though.

Okay thanks.:smile:
I am applying for a transfer for 2nd year at a different uni and I asked my academic tutor. Some unis maybe don't have these so you could ask your Head of Programme.
I would definitely ask my personal tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending