The Student Room Group

A radical fix to the world's wage gap: why not just pay women more and pay men less?

Fantastic article from Jessica Valenti.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/04/world-wage-gap-pay-women-more-men-less

At the going rate, we won’t see workplace gender justice for another 81 years. Perhaps it’s time to tip the scales

What do you think? Should we pay men less to fix the wage gap?
Reply 1
Jessica Valenti is the most odious individual to have plagued the internet. Her most recent article states that we should not care about issues facing "white people", and her weekly articles on the Grauniad's CIF almost inevitably contradict each other, such as the recurring issue of whether we should embrace the colour pink or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Sulpha
Anything Jessica Valenti says is wrong. Even things which were once true become wrong once Jessica Valenti gets involved.

If Jessica Valenti posted an article tomorrow saying men were wonderful human beings, I would convert to militant feminism, chop off my penis and wish death upon all men.

That's all part of her plan to replace us all with fembots.
Reply 3
Because that's not equality, which is what feminists seem to want.

And anything Jessica Valenti writes is misandranistic and vile.
Reply 4
Original post by Sulpha
I honestly think she's going to get taken out by some hardcore MRA at some point.

She boils my brain fluid and I try to stay away from gender related stuff.

I honestly think she is like the Witch King of Angmar - no man can kill her. Her hatred will heal any wound.
The majority of The Guardian columnists are just as bad as those in The Daily Mail, including Jessica Valenti.

Provide evidence that a woman who works in the same job as a man, is paid less than said man. You will not be able to provide any evidence because the pay gap is a myth.
Because there isn't a wage gap in the west.

It has been demonstrated time and time again that the 'wage gap' can be explained by a combination of: the degrees women take compared to men, women's assertiveness in asking for raises/promotions, the time they take off work (e.g. childbirth/care), their preferences in regard to working overtime and what periods of time they have off, the different jobs they have... you know, their choice.

The 'wage gap' in the sense that it does exist is entirely comprised of women's autonomous choice. If you want to close it, the best solution is to take away their choice. I wonder how long women in the west would put up with being forced to work on oil rigs, as bin-collectors, in the sewers, and spending overtime every night in the office?

Not long, is the answer.

If you really do believe it exists, ask yourself this - each employer can either have male employees, and pay them a dollar for whatever period of time, or he can have female employees, who he would pay 40% less. In a time with no shortage of unemployed people, why would any employer choose males in this scenario?
It rather warms my heart to see that even in the Guardian, there are pretty much no supporting comments for this piece.
Reply 8
Original post by SocialJustice
Fantastic article from Jessica Valenti.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/04/world-wage-gap-pay-women-more-men-less

What do you think? Should we pay men less to fix the wage gap?

Why on earth as a male, would i want us to do that?
Reply 9
Original post by ClickItBack
It rather warms my heart to see that even in the Guardian, there are pretty much no supporting comments for this piece.

I actually read every single Valenti article simply because the comments are hilarious. 0 support for this muppet.
No, because that would be illegal (and for good reason). And it's not as though women (with equal experience, education, etc.) are being offered less money for doing the exact same job (again, it's illegal).

The primary reason women earn less is not because of wage discrimination or "glass ceilings," but because they marry, have children, and make different career choices as a result.

According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics: Full-time, unmarried, childless, working women will earn 97% of the median full-time male wage. Part-time working women will earn more than the median part-time male wage. Full-time married women (including women with children) will earn 86% of the full-time male median hourly wage. So you see why the '23% average pay gap' factoid is very misleading.
Valenti is one of the most reviled individuals on the internet - even Guardian readers find her articles laughable.
Now, considering the pay gap is a myth. There is no need for a solution.

Quick Reply

Latest