The Student Room Group

German STUDIES

Right this might sound completely bloody stupid but as I'm probably dropping Russian (I'm not cut out for two languages, I find one hard enough, I feel like a loser but there we go :frown: ) if I change to single honours German here it's down as 'German Studies'

and it might just be me but that sounds rly rly dodgy!!

I'm trying desperately to combine with History or English Lit so it doesn't have studies on the end but it looks like the classes are all fulll up...

Is it worth combining with European Studies (...studies again?!!?) / History of Art (the other two jt hons options I'd consider) just so it's not German studies...

I realise how pathetic this all sounds but I'm so confused...why can't is just be GERMAN!

Thanks for any advice

Scroll to see replies

uumm.. what the hell is wrong with "studies"?? It's just the name girl!
It's just another way of saying "single honours German" :hmmmm2:

If it's German you want to do, and only German, then do it!
Cunning Linguist
uumm.. what the hell is wrong with "studies"?? It's just the name girl!
It's just another way of saying "single honours German" :hmmmm2:

If it's German you want to do, and only German, then do it!

Hee hee I know it just sounds silly and me mum's told me not to do single honours :p:, says it better if I do summit combined...

I want to do History but admissions are being eeevil
Reply 3
Anything with Studies on the end is a bit dodgy, you know I think that. Hence why I dislike my course so much... that and the fact I got FORCED into doing it. At least you get a choice... ;_;
Reply 4
I know there's a belief that "studies" on the end devalues a degree but I think that's just a misconception. Lots of unis do this with single degree languages, it doesn't make any difference in most courses (as you said German studies and Russian studies combined equals German and Russian).
If you really want to do just German then go for it. A combined degree with Russian would probably work out better when you graduate but if you're not happy with it and finding it too difficult then drop Russian.
It is totally up to you, do whatever makes you happy.
EDIT: Plus no-one is going to mind if you just 'forget' to put the "studies" part of the title on your CV...
paddylad
I know there's a belief that "studies" on the end devalues a degree but I think that's just a misconception. Lots of unis do this with single degree languages, it doesn't make any difference in most courses (as you said German studies and Russian studies combined equals German and Russian).
If you really want to do just German then go for it. A combined degree with Russian would probably work out better when you graduate but if you're not happy with it and finding it too difficult then drop Russian.
It is totally up to you, do whatever makes you happy.
EDIT: Plus no-one is going to mind if you just 'forget' to put the "studies" part of the title on your CV...

I always knew doing Russian would be better for everything but I'm awful at it :frown:. Everyone else knows what theyre doing and I'm just losing the will to live!!!
Reply 6
discombobulation
I always knew doing Russian would be better for everything but I'm awful at it :frown:. Everyone else knows what theyre doing and I'm just losing the will to live!!!

Don't worry I'm sure loads of people feel like this initially, Lord knows I will! Stick with it for a while longer and try to keep an open mind, and see how you feel after a week or two. Be sure it's what you want though.
I know it's not really the same thing, but I was sure that I wasn't going to cope with my AS Levels in the lower sixth, so I dropped Economics before the exam. I later discovered that the one course at the one uni that I would have jumped at doing (and still would) wasn't entirely suitable for someone without an A2/AS in Maths, Business or Economice:frown:
Maybe I would have failed it miserably, I'll never know now, but I'm happy with where my life's going now. Anyway just be sure it's what you really want to do:smile:
paddylad
Don't worry I'm sure loads of people feel like this initially, Lord knows I will! Stick with it for a while longer and try to keep an open mind, and see how you feel after a week or two. Be sure it's what you want though.
I know it's not really the same thing, but I was sure that I wasn't going to cope with my AS Levels in the lower sixth, so I dropped Economics before the exam. I later discovered that the one course at the one uni that I would have jumped at doing (and still would) wasn't entirely suitable for someone without an A2/AS in Maths, Business or Economice:frown:
Maybe I would have failed it miserably, I'll never know now, but I'm happy with where my life's going now. Anyway just be sure it's what you really want to do:smile:

I can't stick with it :frown: ...I've been saying stick with it to myself from the first lesson and it's got to the stage where am just in a complete pathetic mess by the end of each lesson...I mean I've done three weeks and I just can't learn any of it. I failed our first test miserably

For me to even come to keeping up averagely with the class I know I need to spend about 3-4 hours a day doing Russian and I can't physically do it ! I found German hard enough last year so god knows what told me I could manage two languages!

Single Honours is still scary n all though.
Reply 8
discombobulation
I can't stick with it :frown: ...I've been saying stick with it to myself from the first lesson and it's got to the stage where am just in a complete pathetic mess by the end of each lesson...I mean I've done three weeks and I just can't learn any of it. I failed our first test miserably

For me to even come to keeping up averagely with the class I know I need to spend about 3-4 hours a day doing Russian and I can't physically do it ! I found German hard enough last year so god knows what told me I could manage two languages!

Single Honours is still scary n all though.

If you really can't deal with it then drop Russian, you shouldn't do it if it's not what you want to do. If you're not happy then you can't continue with it.
Don't worry, if you drop Russian then you will be able to focus more on German which will help, but you should decide soon as you'll need to catch up on the German modules you'll need to replace Russian with.
EDIT: Don't worry so much, you'll be fine :smile:
paddylad
If you really can't deal with it then drop Russian, you shouldn't do it if it's not what you want to do. If you're not happy then you can't continue with it.
Don't worry, if you drop Russian then you will be able to focus more on German which will help, but you should decide soon as you'll need to catch up on the German modules you'll need to replace Russian with.
EDIT: Don't worry so much, you'll be fine :smile:

Haha is it that obvious how much I'm worrying :redface: ?

Doesn't take much for me to go into ridiculous panic mode...

And you're right, I'm not happy so I can't keep doing it, it makes me ill :frown:

Oooh well cheers :smile:
Reply 10
discombobulation
Haha is it that obvious how much I'm worrying :redface: ?

Doesn't take much for me to go into ridiculous panic mode...

And you're right, I'm not happy so I can't keep doing it, it makes me ill :frown:

Oooh well cheers :smile:

No problem! Just go for whatever you want. I did, and I would make the same choices again.
And thanks for the rep:smile:
paddylad
No problem! Just go for whatever you want. I did, and I would make the same choices again.
And thanks for the rep:smile:

I know, I wish I'd applied originally for something languagey/history-ish hehe

I have my plan anyway, if I they won't let me onto German&History I'm gonna go for German&History of Art and then settle for single honours hehe

No prob about the rep hehe, you wuz bein nice 2 meee :smile:
Reply 12
discombobulation
I know, I wish I'd applied originally for something languagey/history-ish hehe

I have my plan anyway, if I they won't let me onto German&History I'm gonna go for German&History of Art and then settle for single honours hehe

No prob about the rep hehe, you wuz bein nice 2 meee :smile:

Have you thought about Spanish? SO much easier than anyother language.
And I'm always nice to nice people:biggrin:
paddylad
Have you thought about Spanish? SO much easier than anyother language.
And I'm always nice to nice people:biggrin:

I once tried to learn Spanish when I was about 13.
If I have any electives which I probably will have if I end up single honours I would like to do Spanish or some other language which uses the same bloody alphabet lol
It'd be far too late for me to join a beginner's Spanish set now, considering how I struggled with Russian - I was thinking about that but then I just realised I'd never catch up the pace we had to work at!
Reply 14
discombobulation
I once tried to learn Spanish when I was about 13.
If I have any electives which I probably will have if I end up single honours I would like to do Spanish or some other language which uses the same bloody alphabet lol
It'd be far too late for me to join a beginner's Spanish set now, considering how I struggled with Russian - I was thinking about that but then I just realised I'd never catch up the pace we had to work at!

Seriously tho Spanish is so easy to start! It'll seem so much easier in comparison to Russian, and to German even lol!
paddylad
Seriously tho Spanish is so easy to start! It'll seem so much easier in comparison to Russian, and to German even lol!

Haha, after missing 3 weeks of it though?!?! I would love to do it but I'm not so sure I could catch up...
If it's anything like French (which i've heard it is) then it's nothing compared to evil German.
Even so, I don't think I can manage two languages at the moment, possibly as an elective thing but not as seriously part of my course heh.
If all else fails :p: - anything to avoid single honours
EDIT: just noticed if you do European Studies you get to do another language hmmmm :smile:
Hmmm after getting completely ripped to pieces by admissions and being told I can only do single honours, I've been to the head of German & told her how I cannot be doing w/Russian & I don't really want to do single honours...
And as she knew that History / English were pretty much full she suggested other languages and so me mentioning Latin meant she's gonna see if she can get me onto German & Italian, but obviously isn't promising anything.
It's only week 3 so she didn't understand why they weren't really helping me...
I can deal w/another language I think, especially as I know Latin and my boyfriend is doing Beginner's Italian so he can help meee...
German&Italian - the axis of evil :fuhrer: hehe
Reply 17
discombobulation
Hmmm after getting completely ripped to pieces by admissions and being told I can only do single honours, I've been to the head of German & told her how I cannot be doing w/Russian & I don't really want to do single honours...
And as she knew that History / English were pretty much full she suggested other languages and so me mentioning Latin meant she's gonna see if she can get me onto German & Italian, but obviously isn't promising anything.
It's only week 3 so she didn't understand why they weren't really helping me...
I can deal w/another language I think, especially as I know Latin and my boyfriend is doing Beginner's Italian so he can help meee...
German&Italian - the axis of evil :fuhrer: hehe

Well that's really nice of her:smile:
I think you'd enjoy Italian, it's such a nice lanuage plus Italy is an awesome country.
OH you should ask Fleece about it, she does German and Italian!
just read this thread... yayy u should italian lol i'm sure it's soo much easier than russian. so was the reason you wanted to drop russian mainly because it was russian rather than because it was another language? just wondering what it's gona be like doing 2. (and also i agree with you about studies! :biggrin:...although if you did just do german studies your degree is still from a really good uni and you would still be fluent in german so it may not matter as much.)
xx Bex
just read this thread... yayy u should italian lol i'm sure it's soo much easier than russian. so was the reason you wanted to drop russian mainly because it was russian rather than because it was another language? just wondering what it's gona be like doing 2. (and also i agree with you about studies! :biggrin:...although if you did just do german studies your degree is still from a really good uni and you would still be fluent in german so it may not matter as much.)

Hehe I would like to do Italian, cause it seems less scary and terrifying than Russian.
Russian at Manchester kinda terrifies me, because of the staff, the speed and the fact that I can't actually grasp it at all and I've given it as long as I possibly can and now I've got to get out!!!
It looks like I can get onto Italian IF the German Professor I spoke to is on my side :smile: - if the admissions beat her I'm stuck w/single honours : )

Thx xx

Latest

Trending

Trending