The Student Room Group

Do you think mass immigration has strained the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Although it has been uneasy at times, I think the large urban populations in Britain had successfully adjusted to mass non-white immigration and on the whole the new commonwealth migrants have been integrating or at least co-existing reasonably well. One trigger to the recent surge of anti-migrant rhetoric has been the E. European migration into previously 'untouched' zones like the eastern and southern coastal towns, plus some waves of war zone refugees from places like Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq.

However, the main point is that the economic collapse has caused the usual hunt for scapegoats. Poorer communities who were already somewhat marginalised, plus people recently cast into poverty from what were reasonably coping situations, are naturally very angry at all the hits to their incomes and it is easy for manipulative bastards like UKIP (and to some extent Tories and Labour) to point fingers and get them into a state of hysteria.

So much nicer for everyone at the top, especially the bankers and people in the City!

Nothing in my post addressed whether immigration was desirable or not.

I would say that your argument sounds rather like a conspiracy theory.
Yes, definitely strained the UK.

I'm sorry, but if I have one more person barking at me in broken English because I couldn't understand what she was trying to say, I'll be mad. :rant:
It does as sound as though deprived towns in some areas, particularly the ex-mining and textile towns have it particularly bad in all kinds of ways. It's surprising that discontent doesn't lead to more troubles in those places - I would guess that there will be more. However, are they really issues of 'immigration' as such? Or just general social and economic collapse of traditional industries hitting the migrant communities just as hard? I don't know much about the economy of Bradford, but a quick scan of the Wikipedia entry suggests it suffers much the same economic woes as other parts of S. Yorkshire. Interestingly, the population is given as 67% white.

Well it's certainly true that Bradford never turned itself around in the way that Leeds and Manchester did during the last business cycle (some progress was made but i'd wager that Wakefield and Huddersfield benefited more) and so it could be the case that immigration of certain groups is coincidental.

Another factor perhaps (though if flies in the face of London experience) is competition. In London and its surrounding towns London's growth has been beneficial for those surrounding areas because infrastructure investment has occurred to cater for the wealth spreading outward (granted the wealth in the center is foreign cash but in general the wealth has spread further out quite well as the English have gone for the suburbs and outer suburbs). In Bradford though one almost gets the impression that Leeds is like a star whose gravity has sucked everything to it (though Wakefield and Huddersfield have benefited from being on the Leeds-London/Leeds-Birmingham and Leeds-Manchester trainlines) because in Leeds the last business cycle saw a marked improvement from its past and today it's still doing great but Bradford since 2007 has continued to decline.

About 45% is white British so i'd assume the other 20% is eastern european in the main.
They don't, but it depends what you mean as well. Most people are ambiguous about immigration and a lot of people accept that immigrants provide value to the country as well as costs. Polls show a mixed picture.

People who live alongside immigrants, for example in big cities, tend to be much less anti-immigration than people who live in mainly non-immigrant areas.

Not true.

Please show me such polls.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Because EU immigration. Numbers wise is the largest.

Since when?

In the last 10 years immigration from the EU has been less than immigration from non-EU countries. Net migration has also been lower.

Source:
ONS - http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-320521

Original post by Time Tourist
It has also utterly destroyed the social fabric of this country, and this is the main problem with it. If diversity and multiculturalism is so wonderful then why did 620,000 English people leave their capital city between 2001-2011? Probably because they hate what has happened to it.

What was the social fabric of the country, how has immigration destroyed it and why is that a bad thing?

How do you feel about the fact that almost entirely the British people disagree with you and hate what has happened to their country?

Please provide evidence for those claims.
Original post by SHallowvale
Since when?

In the last 10 years immigration from the EU has been less than immigration from non-EU countries. Net migration has also been lower.

Source:
ONS - http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-320521

What was the social fabric of the country, how has immigration destroyed it and why is that a bad thing?

Please provide evidence for those claims.

No way, **** - you've just made me see the error of my ways - I want more foreigners here now!

You're right, there's no such thing as British culture that's just a right wing lie! Importing the third world into Britain has brought wonders to this evil racist country and made it good!
Reply 26
Original post by MrMango
no mate the banks/government caused a recession now they need someone to blame so they blame it on immigration.. people are just victims of propaganda.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This! I can't rate you though, it won't let me. Anyway, to the people who complain about mass immigration lets not forget that it was the UK who asked people from abroad to come over to fill jobs back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. However, regardless of the recession, I do think that after a certain period there should have been more selective policies with immigration, only allowing people to come over if they have qualifications that are strongly desired, similar to how Canada does it.
No way, **** - you've just made me see the error of my ways - I want more foreigners here now!

You're right, there's no such thing as British culture that's just a right wing lie! Importing the third world into Britain has brought wonders to this evil racist country and made it good!

If you can't be bothered to explain what you mean (or back up your claims with evidence) then don't bother posting.
Original post by Observatory
That might be true in a handful of urban cores, but the non-white population has doubled in the last 20 years and the white immigrant population is almost entirely new in that time..

Counting members of the non-white population is not the same as counting immigrants.

The white immigrant population is certainly not new. Look at the figures for non-UK born populations from 1951 to 2011. The two caveats is that there was significant under reporting in 2011 and to a lesser extent in 2001 and that the Indian figure in 1951 will include a significant proportion of Anglo-Indians who did not stay on at independence.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/immigration-patterns-and-characteristics-of-non-uk-born-population-groups-in-england-and-wales/non-uk-born-census-populations-1951---2011---full-infographic.html
(edited 9 years ago)
The white immigrant population is certainly not new. Look at the figures for non-UK born populations from 1951 to 2011.

How many of them in the early days were culturally British, 100% British-descended re-patriates from the empire? edit: and I take it that the Irish are also included in these stats?

I was reading a book recently about the Royal Navy in WWI and it was suggested that the German population might outnumber the British home army after the dispatch of the BEF; I believe the number was still only in the 10s of thousands though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
Yes, definitely strained the UK.

I'm sorry, but if I have one more person barking at me in broken English because I couldn't understand what she was trying to say, I'll be mad. :rant:

Sounds like you're in the wrong line of work.
Original post by Birkenhead
Do you believe immigration is ultimately good for Britain? What sort of changes if any would you make?

I wouldn't do anything about EU immigration. That is part of the deal for being in the EU.

In relation to the rest of the world, the idea that one can somehow separate economic migrants from refugees or from couples marrying is nonsense on stilts. All of this migration needs to be recognised as economic migration.

As such we should be setting up refugee camps either in the UK or in off shore locations at our expense, in which people can remain until such time as they are safe to return home. Refugee status should never be a ticket to integration in the UK community.

I would stop being a spouse from being an independent head of entitlement to a visa. Marriage is a economic as much as a romantic decision (and outside of western circles it is often not a romantic decision at all). You can marry who you want, but where you can enjoy family life together is a decision that is subject to and does not override immigration considerations.
How many of them in the early days were culturally British, 100% British-descended re-patriates from the empire?

I gave you the British expatriates from India in my previous post. The 152,000 Poles in 1951 or the 96,000 Germans weren't repatriated Brits. Nor were the nearly half a million Irish.
(edited 9 years ago)

I was reading a book recently about the Royal Navy in WWI and it was suggested that the German population might outnumber the British home army after the dispatch of the BEF; I believe the number was still only in the 10s of thousands though.

53,324 Germans (not including those naturalised as British) in 1911. 65,261 German born.

285,000 foreigners (excluding naturalised) in total.

In the London County Council area (ie inner London) about 1 in 25 men was foreign born.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian

You speak as if only immigrants do that. :rolleyes:
Original post by nulli tertius
I wouldn't do anything about EU immigration. That is part of the deal for being in the EU.

In relation to the rest of the world, the idea that one can somehow separate economic migrants from refugees or from couples marrying is nonsense on stilts. All of this migration needs to be recognised as economic migration.

As such we should be setting up refugee camps either in the UK or in off shore locations at our expense, in which people can remain until such time as they are safe to return home. Refugee status should never be a ticket to integration in the UK community.

I would stop being a spouse from being an independent head of entitlement to a visa. Marriage is a economic as much as a romantic decision (and outside of western circles it is often not a romantic decision at all). You can marry who you want, but where you can enjoy family life together is a decision that is subject to and does not override immigration considerations.

I'd agree with those measures.
I gave you the British expatriates from India in my previous post. The 152,000 Poles in 1951 or the 96,000 Germans weren't repatriated Brits. Nor were the nearly half a million Irish.

Irish are special, and hardly count.

The Poles were of a limited supply, and had a special connection to the country as mostly ex-servicemen who fought under British command.

There is no precedent in 1950, or in 1970, for the mass influx of people with little or no personal or family connection to this country.

I agree with all of these measures.

How would you choose whom to admit as an economic migrant?
Reply 38
Irish are special, and hardly count.

The Poles were of a limited supply, and had a special connection to the country as mostly ex-servicemen who fought under British command.

There is no precedent in 1950, or in 1970, for the mass influx of people with little or no personal or family connection to this country.

Both influxes of immigrants in the 1950s were mainly from the Carribean and former British colonies. Likewise, Indian refugees from newly independent African countries like Uganda and Kenya that were former British colonies and were expelled by the new African govts in the 1970s.

A lot of Caribean immigrants were former service men and women who fought for the Britsih empire during WWII. Citizens from commonwealth countries were free to immigrate to Britian after WWII to fill substantial labour shortages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
If you can't be bothered to explain what you mean (or back up your claims with evidence) then don't bother posting.

You knowingly ask silly questions and you expect anything other than a flippant response?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending