The Student Room Group

Best backpack for a year travelling in australia..

Hi everyone,

I’m considering buying a backpack for my year travel around Australia, I went to Go outdoors and saw the “Vango Freedom” 80l+20 which seemed like the most comfortable backpack there however I didn’t know if anyone had any recommendations as I really am clueless when it comes to backpacks! I’m only 5ft 4 and not the biggest build therefore I don’t want anything that’s going to get too heavy as I’m not the strongest however I thought the 80+20 may get heavy when completely filled!! I just want something durable that I can take with me on my travels!!! If anyone has an recommendations that would be so helpful as I really have no idea!!!
Reply 1
It looks a bit cheap for a backpack of this size. When buying one you really want to get something of a decent quality, a good backpack will last you for many years, probably decades. Having a detachable daypack seems handy, but the way this is attached to the backpack is the worst possible, at least if you actually have stuff in there. When carrying a large pack you want to distribute most of the weight close to your body and/or low (unless you do technical climbing, then you want the weight on your shoulders), the daypack hangs high up far away from your body.

Apart from that I can't say much except for that fit really is important and you should go for what feels right.
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Fox
It looks a bit cheap for a backpack of this size. When buying one you really want to get something of a decent quality, a good backpack will last you for many years, probably decades. Having a detachable daypack seems handy, but the way this is attached to the backpack is the worst possible, at least if you actually have stuff in there. When carrying a large pack you want to distribute most of the weight close to your body and/or low (unless you do technical climbing, then you want the weight on your shoulders), the daypack hangs high up far away from your body.

Apart from that I can't say much except for that fit really is important and you should go for what feels right.

Hi Sir Fox,

Would you have any recommendations? If I’m honest the Vango is one of a few I have looked at but this just seemed the best option so far as I don’t want to spend ridiculous amounts on the backpack as the trip itself is costing a small fortune!!! Any reocmmendations would be great! Thanks
Reply 3
Garbage, and way too big (unless you're planning multi-day treks carrying food for 7+ days). Zip off backpacks are also a waste of time. Think carefully - really carefully - what you would carry in the daysack, and then when you would ever want it zipped on, attached furthest from your line of sight...

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for something like an old, shagged and cheap Lowe Alpine in the 55-65L size. It'll be from an era when they still made them properly, it'll look crap, it'll outlive you and it will be cheap. Bought my 55L used for £50 and it saw me though 3+ years and 60 countries...and is no more worn than when i bought it.

Eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowe-Alpine-Large-Rucksack-55-15L-plus-Travel-Pillow-New-Mosquito-Net-/121507867170?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item1c4a6eea22

...The ND means it's a women's version (for most people that makes NO difference), but there a dozens a week on eBay so just wait. There's a skyline 65 on eBay too, but £70 is probably a 1/3 more than it's worth.

=========

edit: FB group: Outdoor Gear Exchange UK

I just sold my Lowe Alpine Liberty 75+20 on there for £50. It used to cost £200, i bought it for £100...it was in excellent condition and would have outlived that Vango by 20 years. Great place to buy and sell. Put a wanted post for an old 60L pack and i reckon you'll have half a dozen offers of old bit good kit.

You're travlling around Oz. How many hours (seriously, it'll add up to less than a day) will that pack actually be on your back?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by brabzzz
Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for something like an old, shagged and cheap Lowe Alpine in the 55-65L size. It'll be from an era when they still made them properly, it'll look crap, it'll outlive you and it will be cheap.

They actually still make proper backpacks, you know? :rolleyes:

Original post by Pflorida
Would you have any recommendations?

Brabzzz is right, Lowe Alpine is a very good brand. I have one (don't know the name though and can't find it in their current line-up), it lasted me through one year in Africa, one year in Australia and several other travels. Had it for four years now and it's still as good as new.
Reply 5
Have a look at Osprey's or Lowe Alpine's range of bags.

I used to work in an outdoor shop, and as a shorty myself can speak for these bags as they come in different back sizes and are adjustable too. They are so comfy omfg.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Fox
They actually still make proper backpacks, you know? :rolleyes:

Not like they used to :smile:

They used to be made (iirc) int he USA...whereas it is now somewhere in E. Europe. Not that that is a disaster, but they are using thinner fabrics to keep up with the current preference for lightweight gear - at the expense of durability. Can't blame them - all the major brands are at it.

A following poster mentioned Osprey...i just bought one for a few months of trekking (the Aether 70) - amazing bit of kit and lighter than Lowe Alpine 55 is, despite being much larger, and is their top of the line model (apart from the hard to find Xenith). The trade off? The frame is thinner (=more fragile) and the material thinner (=less durable). For trekking, that's good though as i'll be carrying it for months on end on my soft, sore back, so weight is a priority!

But for backpacking (in the travelling sense) - where it will be thrown around, into cargo holds, strapped to roof racks and donkeys and boats along with random stuff, chickens, rusty bolts, exhaust fumes etc? Give me a heavier older model that would survive the apocalypse and does not need babying.

That said, almost any bag will get you through a stint in Aus - where, backpacking, it is essentially a way to get your stuff from hostel to hostel via 1st world public transport.
Reply 7
Original post by brabzzz
Garbage, and way too big (unless you're planning multi-day treks carrying food for 7+ days). Zip off backpacks are also a waste of time. Think carefully - really carefully - what you would carry in the daysack, and then when you would ever want it zipped on, attached furthest from your line of sight...

Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for something like an old, shagged and cheap Lowe Alpine in the 55-65L size. It'll be from an era when they still made them properly, it'll look crap, it'll outlive you and it will be cheap. Bought my 55L used for £50 and it saw me though 3+ years and 60 countries...and is no more worn than when i bought it.

Eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowe-Alpine-Large-Rucksack-55-15L-plus-Travel-Pillow-New-Mosquito-Net-/121507867170?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item1c4a6eea22

...The ND means it's a women's version (for most people that makes NO difference), but there a dozens a week on eBay so just wait. There's a skyline 65 on eBay too, but £70 is probably a 1/3 more than it's worth.

=========

edit: FB group: Outdoor Gear Exchange UK

I just sold my Lowe Alpine Liberty 75+20 on there for £50. It used to cost £200, i bought it for £100...it was in excellent condition and would have outlived that Vango by 20 years. Great place to buy and sell. Put a wanted post for an old 60L pack and i reckon you'll have half a dozen offers of old bit good kit.

You're travlling around Oz. How many hours (seriously, it'll add up to less than a day) will that pack actually be on your back?

Hi Brabzzz,

To be completely honest the Vango is one of the few backpacks I’ve looked at as I haven’t really looked properly, the main thing that drew me to the backpack was its size as I will be primarily living in hostels therefore unlikely to ever unpack my backpack and the 80+20 seemed a good chocie for getting as mcuh packed as possible (typical girl I know) I agree with your point about the day pack however the only reaosn I would be using this would be for day trips rather than actually using it whilst its attached to my back… I agree I wouldn’t like use it whilst furthest away from me.
I’m liking the price of the ones that you’ve quoted as they seem mcuh more resonable however I will have to have a look on ebay and the facebook page you posted! Thanks again!
Reply 8
Original post by carasezmoo
Have a look at Osprey's or Lowe Alpine's range of bags.

I used to work in an outdoor shop, and as a shorty myself can speak for these bags as they come in different back sizes and are adjustable too. They are so comfy omfg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Carasezmoo, I will have to have a little look!! My main concern is my height/weight because I am quite petite and therefore don't want to be drowned too much by a heavy bag... (although I know i'll massively overpack and drown myself anyway haha)
Reply 9
Hi Carasezmoo, I will have to have a little look!! My main concern is my height/weight because I am quite petite and therefore don't want to be drowned too much by a heavy bag... (although I know i'll massively overpack and drown myself anyway haha)

I'm about 4"10 and Osprey Ariel (size small) adjusted to its smallest and with a lot of weight put in it is still good.

If I ruled the world, every one would have an Osprey bag. /obsessed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I’m considering buying a backpack for my year travel around Australia, I went to Go outdoors and saw the “Vango Freedom” 80l+20 which seemed like the most comfortable backpack there however I didn’t know if anyone had any recommendations as I really am clueless when it comes to backpacks! I’m only 5ft 4 and not the biggest build therefore I don’t want anything that’s going to get too heavy as I’m not the strongest however I thought the 80+20 may get heavy when completely filled!! I just want something durable that I can take with me on my travels!!! If anyone has an recommendations that would be so helpful as I really have no idea!!!

Look for a NorthFace Terra 65. Its a good one though not the cheapest but definitely worth the asking price.

Personally prefer to buy a Samsonite Paradiver on Wheels, though not strictly a backpack but wheels and handles beats carrying a backpack especially if you travel in Australia during their hot summers. Makes it easier to carry a smaller backpack as a day pack.

Both of the brands are very good and reputable brands.
From the daypack point of view, I'd get a basic but very simple rucksack like you might have used for school - if you need both packs at once (flying or what have you) that goes on your front while the big one is on your back - otherwise it can be rolled up and go in the bottom of your big pack.

Quick Reply

Latest