The Student Room Group

Sat!

hi everyong, sitting the SAT this Saterday and was a bit confused over a few things

I am kinda nervous! because i know that i want to get into the top unis such as the ivy league and for that u need 2200+ as well as a well rounded application so....

Is it wise to contact the university beforehand, as i am from Scotland, and ask what kind of scores they are looking for when joining it with the 5A's and 3 advanced higher A's i am being told i am likely to get?

What does it mean when it gives the option to send off scores? I thought that applications were sent direct to the universities from the prospective students and not through the system. Does this mean if i dont get up to scratch grades then i wont have a choice whether to send or not? Furthermore what if i dont end up applying to a uni that i put in as an option to send off scores to.

In addition does that mean i cant apply to universities that are not on the list?

Thanks very much
Reply 1
There are actually no 'cut-off' SAT scores for the Ivies, although obviously the higher the score, the better. There is sometimes some leeway given to International students, as obviously we're less familiar with the test, and although it's important, it's definitely weighed against other factors, like exam grades, extracurriculars, etc.

Don't bother contacting the university, because if you look on their websites, you should be able to find the median SAT scores for their accepted applicants. Obviously, don't take these as 'you have to get these to get accepted', as they'll accept lower (and higher) scores too, but it should give you a good idea of their applicant pool.

You do apply to universities directly, but they all also require that you get an official SAT score report sent to them by College Board. They will send scores to any American university that wants SAT scores (which I reckon is most, if not all, of them), so don't worry about it limiting you. However, you can't choose which scores are on the score report. If you take the test three times, all three results will be sent to your colleges. Annoying, but true. Colleges only look at either your highest combined scores, or your highest individual scores for each section, though, so don't worry about that too much.

And as for sending to universities that you don't end up applying to... well, when they see that you haven't applied, they'll just throw the report away. I'm sure they get lots of them from students who've changed their mind - I sent free score reports to Cornell, Dartmouth and UCLA, and I'm now not applying to any of those. Don't worry about it. :smile:

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for replying- the college board charge something like $9 to send scores to extra unis after your 1st 4 free ones. So did u simply add the ones u actually go to later?

i thought the college board says that you have to send them off within a week of sitting the test??
how was your SAT????
min went good but it was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely boring!!
Reply 4
Shadey
hi everyong, sitting the SAT this Saterday and was a bit confused over a few things

I am kinda nervous! because i know that i want to get into the top unis such as the ivy league and for that u need 2200+ as well as a well rounded application so....

Is it wise to contact the university beforehand, as i am from Scotland, and ask what kind of scores they are looking for when joining it with the 5A's and 3 advanced higher A's i am being told i am likely to get?

What does it mean when it gives the option to send off scores? I thought that applications were sent direct to the universities from the prospective students and not through the system. Does this mean if i dont get up to scratch grades then i wont have a choice whether to send or not? Furthermore what if i dont end up applying to a uni that i put in as an option to send off scores to.

In addition does that mean i cant apply to universities that are not on the list?

Thanks very much

you don't need a 2200 to go to an ivy first off..........and a well rounded application is often the kiss of death.....

however you WILL need at least a 1900 and a "hook" in your application. if i was you i would play up the fact that you're foreign....everyone loves foreign.

sending off scores mean that you choose the universities that recieve your scores.....if you don't end up applying no big deal......they'll just pitch the scores and forget about you.

and don't contact them! set up an interview overseas (contact them to do this) and then ask your questions at the interview......
Reply 5
thanks for the reply people- do u mean to ask for an interview before actually applying??

Also something on the college board sending scores- as i am doing 4 tests altogether can i just wait untill my last test to decide who i want to send my scores to as they claim when u pay to send, they send ALL AVAILABLE scores- so surely its best just to wait and pay at the end when u can send them all in one go!!!

or maybe not...?
Im not letting them send my scores... im gonna wait and send them in one go... cz what if you got an unexpected bad mark.. you may want to resit the exam before you send your grades
Reply 7
lebanon4ever
Im not letting them send my scores... im gonna wait and send them in one go... cz what if you got an unexpected bad mark.. you may want to resit the exam before you send your grades

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when you send scores at any time, all previous scores are sent at the same time. You can't hide bad scores from a university (short of cancelling the scores before receiving them).
Reply 8

As countless people before me have stated, a 2200 is not a requirement (nor a guarantee) of admission into a prestigious university (do note that in several fields some ivy colleges are not a subset of this). I have seen people with near perfect scores get rejections and 1900 students with acceptance letters.
Sending grades is an option. If you end up not going to a university that you sent your grades to, it doesn't matter.
Reply 9
so you can just send the scores in one go???
i can just wait a few months untill most of my exams are done then just send them all in one go? its purely looking at saving money as if i only have to pay for them once to be sent rather than sending them all off individually its cheaper?
yeah i know... im not gonna do that bad anyway!!(hopefully above 2000, since i got 2070 in the practice test online) but in case i get something like 1900.... i wouldnt want to send it just yet, ill rather do it again, and then send both marks together... its like saying "hey look, i was kinda dumb but now im not" as opposed to "hey look... im dumb"!!!:biggrin:
Reply 11
Just be careful not to wait too long to send scores! It can take College Board up to a month to send scores, and you don't want your colleges to have to wait for them after the deadline. :wink:

I have little experience with Ivy admissions, but I have volunteered in the Duke admissions office. While it is true that high scores will not get you in (60% of perfect-scoring valedictorians are rejected at Harvard and Stanford), it is also true that high scores can only help an application. Many low-scoring applicants are URMs, legacies, developmental admits, athletic recruits, etc. Most of the likely letters get sent to the high scoring/perfect grades applicants- unfair, perhaps, but true.
yay sat results out!! i got 2090.... its pissing off.. 10 marks below 2100! anyway i dont think im doing it again... better focus on SAT II for now!

Latest

Trending

Trending