The Student Room Group

MP plays candy crush during Meeting at Parliment

Scroll to see replies

Outrageous.

What was more shocking was that he was defended by his Tory colleagues. One said: "So if Nigel has to keep himself awake by playing computer games, good on him." Really?!
What a lad
I'm in two minds. If they were discussing something he wasn't going to vote on, does he need to pay attention?

But then, he's not being grossly overpaid to just play games.
Original post by goobypls
What a lad

Great to see our taxes are being put to good use. :yy:

What was that Blair was saying about MPs being underpaid? :rolleyes:
Maybe the BBC are trying to suck up to the Toeries after their coverage of the Autumn Statement because they seemed to go back to at least impartiality, some would argue supporting him; they had somebody important from the early 90s saying just how boring these meetings are and how easy it is to get very tired in them, saying good on him for doing it if it kept him awake. He may not have been paying total attention, but if they're as boring as they sound probably paying no less attention than if he hadn't been playing.
What a ****.
Political correctness GONE MAD
I don't really see why people are annoyed tbh. Most of the people complaining probably don't pay 100% attention all the time at their jobs.
Initially I thought this was the usual populist crap, standard Daily Fail fare, but then I saw the picture and I just had to laugh!

To answer the OP, yeah, I'm guilty of playing games on my phone during an especially boring lecture, the difference is it only impacts me, not people who I'm supposed to be representing. Also I'm not being paid to do this and I'm not going to vote depending on what's being said and affect other people's lives!
Reply 11
I'm not so much outraged at him as at the response by the others. If he's bored, surely there is more he could do in his job? If not, why do it? Technology has made everything go crazy...
He is being paid for doing his job and not for playing games, and it doesn't matter if the subject discussed at the meeting could have been irrelevant to him, he is still supposed to be an active listener..
Reply 13
Original post by ForgetMe
He is being paid for doing his job and not for playing games

Bull-****. He's on a committee, which is voluntary. He doesn't have to do that, and essentially does it for free.

MPs are not employees, they are representatives. You decide whether to vote them out at the end of a parliament. They are not obliged to be anywhere, to do anything, or to represent you in any particular way. A lot of what goes on in Parliament is pointless tedium, dull posturing or entirely outside of an individual MP's interest.
Original post by ForgetMe
He is being paid for doing his job and not for playing games, and it doesn't matter if the subject discussed at the meeting could have been irrelevant to him, he is still supposed to be an active listener..

Absolutely. Any other job you would get sacked or least a warning
Original post by L i b
Bull-****. He's on a committee, which is voluntary. He doesn't have to do that, and essentially does it for free.

MPs are not employees, they are representatives. You decide whether to vote them out at the end of a parliament. They are not obliged to be anywhere, to do anything, or to represent you in any particular way. A lot of what goes on in Parliament is pointless tedium, dull posturing or entirely outside of an individual MP's interest.

If he doesn't like the work he is doing, he should bloody sod off.

It's disgraceful and indefensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Like no-one here has ever slacked off at work.

**EDIT** Like anyone here has ever worked.
Original post by InnerTemple
If he doesn't like the work he is doing, he should bloody sod off.

It's disgraceful and indefensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, I can't imagine you give 100% effort every second of the time you're at work.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
lol, I can't imagine you give 100% effort every second of the time you're at work.

Nothing as brazen as playing a game during a meeting. And if I did, I doubt I'd have people running to my defense.

If I don't pay proper attention at work, bad things happen and various courts get angry at me.

If my brother in law doesn't pay attention at work, a plane load of people does something very bad.

So I don't buy your argument. This MP was supposed to be listening to and evaluating oral evidence. Would you have a judge or jury member dip into a game during a dull part of a trial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice... But we did."

- Tony Stark, Avengers Assemble

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending