The Student Room Group

Scared of failing/ incredibly depressed

This could be quite lengthy

So in 2013 I started university about an hour away from home. It was clear from day one that I really hated it there. The course, my flat and the fact that I made no friends didn't help. I left in January this year. I decided to go on anti-depressants as I felt like my life had hit rock bottom and I couldn't cope. After a few months working and figuring out what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to apply to university again and 'start fresh' if you like. I applied to a uni 4 hours away from me and got accepted. The main problems I am having is that no matter what I seem to do I just cannot get rid of this depression. I love my course so much (English Lit) and I feel that I have made the right choice with that. I have made lots of good friends but most of them go home every weekend and live half an hour away.
I am applying for a transfer for second year to move home and commute to the university that is an hour away from me on a train. I decided I wanted to do this sometime in October and have my mind fairly set on this. I know it sounds pathetic but I just want to get my degree now, without having the depression take over my life. Some days I have missed lectures and seminars because I've felt like a failure even though I'm doing okay. If I was at home I think I'd be better, as if I felt like I'd had a bad day at least I get to go home and chill, rather than come back to an empty place and sit and cry.
My main worry is if I fail second year. I have already had a 'mistake year' and I really don't want to fail at all. It hasn't bothered me up until late, where I've been lying in my bed thinking about it and now I'm really scared. I just dunno what to think. Has anyone else been in any similar situations? I'm trying to put the work in so I don't but I'm already lacking motivation to go in to uni, mainly because of my depression.
Your thoughts. Write them down. Consider whether there is any valid proof in them.
When were you last not depressed ?

What were the circumstances ? Surroundings ? environment ? people ?

What do you want to feel ?

What would help me accomplish that ?

What am I feeling now ? What am I thinking ? What do I want ?

Do you feel understood by people around you, or your university ?

Quick Reply

Latest