The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chem Eng at UCL

So I got an offer from them today for the MEng course and, won't lie, I freaked out with how happy I was. But at the same time, I'm worried about the faculty, since over the years I haven't heard the best things about its engineering facilities (understaffed, no tutorials first year etc.). I know that regardless it's at least good for Chemical Engineering in particular (global rankings put it 5th in the UK for it) but at the same time I also have a possible offer from Manchester, which is 4th in the UK and I've heard mostly good things from it about it's facilities and stuff. I love them both, but my massive reaction to this UCL offer has me wondering whether I'd be willing to choose Manchester over it, despite it statistically being the better choice. Social and personally, I wouldn't mind going to either - they both seem lovely.

Another thing is just to do with the name. I want to have some broad horizons and firm job opportunities abroad, and UCL isn't only a name that's recognized the world over - more so than Manchester - but also gives me the chance to go abroad and spot opportunities for myself. BUT at the same time Manchester is technology inclined, and a year in industry seems almost as rewarding as a year abroad to me.

I'm just at a bit of an impasse as to what I want. I'm going to both soon anyways, but I really want to hear it from people here. Taking into consideration all I've said, is Chem Eng at UCL worth it, and have any of the negative qualities I've heard about years back been remedied much at all?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by VibraGenesis
So I got an offer from them today for the MEng course and, won't lie, I freaked out with how happy I was. But at the same time, I'm worried about the faculty, since over the years I haven't heard the best things about its engineering facilities (understaffed, no tutorials first year etc.). I know that regardless it's at least good for Chemical Engineering in particular (global rankings put it 5th in the UK for it) but at the same time I also have a possible offer from Manchester, which is 4th in the UK and I've heard mostly good things from it about it's facilities and stuff. I love them both, but my massive reaction to this UCL offer has me wondering whether I'd be willing to choose Manchester over it, despite it statistically being the better choice. Social and personally, I wouldn't mind going to either - they both seem lovely.

Another thing is just to do with the name. I want to have some broad horizons and firm job opportunities abroad, and UCL isn't only a name that's recognized the world over - more so than Manchester - but also gives me the chance to go abroad and spot opportunities for myself. BUT at the same time Manchester is technology inclined, and a year in industry seems almost as rewarding as a year abroad to me.

I'm just at a bit of an impasse as to what I want. I'm going to both soon anyways, but I really want to hear it from people here. Taking into consideration all I've said, is Chem Eng at UCL worth it, and have any of the negative qualities I've heard about years back been remedied much at all?

I'm exactly in the same dilemma as you, however as a medicine applicant I had to make one of them my fifth choice. I ended up going for UCL because of the name and the fact that I live in Manchester. I have equal love for them both :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending