The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Likelihood of offer?

Hey guys! Sorry if this seems like a stereotypical question, but I'm getting very curious!

I sent away my UCAS application last week, with Business Management at Edinburgh as one of my choices. I'm really hoping to be able to go here, as I live in Dundee currently and love Edinburgh as a place, and would love to become a student here too.

In 5th year, I ended up attaining better results than expected (currently in 6th year at the moment). Now, although they're above the minimum, they're not quite on the typical offer border.

(Highers)
English: C
Maths: B
Geography: B
Computing: A
Business Management: A

I also obtained a 1 and seven 2's in my Standard Grades too.

Now, this is where my curiosity kicks in. According to The Scotsman, I'm from one of the lowest ranking schools in the whole of Scotland (bottom 10 schools), and what I have done is rarely seen - at my school anyway. I was reading that this can sometimes work in the applicants favour, and was wondering how far my contextual factors would go in this scenario?

If any of you guys reading this have had offers either this year or last, would you mind sharing your them? Just for a sort of 'guideline' I guess.

Thanks everyone!
Original post by DanielMcC
Hey guys! Sorry if this seems like a stereotypical question, but I'm getting very curious!

I sent away my UCAS application last week, with Business Management at Edinburgh as one of my choices. I'm really hoping to be able to go here, as I live in Dundee currently and love Edinburgh as a place, and would love to become a student here too.

In 5th year, I ended up attaining better results than expected (currently in 6th year at the moment). Now, although they're above the minimum, they're not quite on the typical offer border.

(Highers)

Now, this is where my curiosity kicks in. According to The Scotsman, I'm from one of the lowest ranking schools in the whole of Scotland (bottom 10 schools), and what I have done is rarely seen - at my school anyway. I was reading that this can sometimes work in the applicants favour, and was wondering how far my contextual factors would go in this scenario?

If any of you guys reading this have had offers either this year or last, would you mind sharing your them? Just for a sort of 'guideline' I guess.

Thanks everyone!

I'd predict you'd get a conditional offer. Contextual factors don't matter as much as you may think! But if you were borderline on getting a place and it was you vs a person from a better ranking school then I would imagine they'd pick you!

Just stay positive! You've got good grades.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
From what I've gathered contextual factors only tend to matter when deciding between two equal applicants. I think you have a good chance of getting an offer as business management tends to be less competitive for admissions

Original post by DanielMcC

(Highers)

Thanks everyone!
Reply 3
Original post by bayernmunich
From what I've gathered contextual factors only tend to matter when deciding between two equal applicants. I think you have a good chance of getting an offer as business management tends to be less competitive for admissions

Thanks for replying! That's good to hear then - got my fingers crossed!

I absolutely HATE this wait though:tongue:
Reply 4
Depends on what you want to study. You won't get into anything that requires good maths. I don't really know what you want to do at uni but if you wanna do business you should be able to make it with a conditional. The background doesn't matter unless you are an international (you pay fees thus they want you, but since you are a Scottish applicant you will be in the same boat as other Scottish applicants). I got 5A's and I got a reply within a week to do Maths and Finance (I'm an international). My sister got a reply within weeks (she's an international), now my little brother is applying but he is classified as UK/home so it will be harder for him.

If I was you I would apply and stop worrying, the worst case scenario you don't get in. Apply for Napier - thats almost a 100% unconditional as a backup choice ( And your statement will match). Get good Adv highers and reapply if you are not happy. Most English folks are 19 anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending