The Student Room Group

Issue with References.. help!

It's really unlucky, but I dropped out of highschool early due to extreme bullying and negligence on the school's part, with their response being "either put up with it for the last 7 months, or leave", and because I wasn't coping, I left. I have no people I can contact for a reference, because i'm 16 years old and intending to begin University in September 2015, when i'll be 17. I have no employment history, not even any friends, who I can ask. I live a very quiet life. Going out and seeking employment is not currently possible because of personal circumstances, which I do not wish to disclose, but they are serious enough to push seeking an employer out of the question. Will universities disregard me based on this fact? I'm already looking pretty rough due to a lack of an English GCSE (even though I was achieving A*, there's no proof because I never completed it..). I kind of assume family members are out of the question..
Original post by JaffaChan
It's really unlucky, but I dropped out of highschool early due to extreme bullying and negligence on the school's part, with their response being "either put up with it for the last 7 months, or leave", and because I wasn't coping, I left. I have no people I can contact for a reference, because i'm 16 years old and intending to begin University in September 2015, when i'll be 17.

Your only 16 years old and your thinking about going to Uni? You should apply to a college to do your GCSEs instead. Maybe even chose a BTEC/A level course aswell. Then go to Uni after.

I dont think you can get into Uni without a BTEC/A levels. Do your GCSEs and BTEC/A levels at college, and then go to Uni.
Reply 2
You can get in, i've been asking universities and they said if my tariff points add up to the expected point (my predicted grades will mean I have 320 UCAS points) I will get a place, one of my cousins began uni at 17 too ^^
Also I can't go to college due to personal stuff, I was going to go but i'm studying online instead. I'll have enough UCAS points to attend university come 2015 though ^^
I'd prefer it if replies on this thread are kept about my references though, and not my life choices ^^
Original post by JaffaChan
You can get in, i've been asking universities and they said if my tariff points add up to the expected point (my predicted grades will mean I have 320 UCAS points) I will get a place, one of my cousins began uni at 17 too ^^
Also I can't go to college due to personal stuff, I was going to go but i'm studying online instead. I'll have enough UCAS points to attend university come 2015 though ^^
I'd prefer it if replies on this thread are kept about my references though, and not my life choices ^^

You need an academic referee. Applying at your age will mean that a non-academic referee is unlikely to be acceptable.

If you're homeschooling then have you looked into your local FE/adult education provision to see if you can go along for tuition/tutoring for any of your subjects. Alternatively do you have a private tutor.

A private tutor or FE tutor would be a suitable referee.
You could try contacting the University direct and asking if they require a reference. As your UCAS application will be as an independent not through a school there is an option to submit it without providing a reference providing all your selected Unis agree this is acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MatureDude
You could try contacting the University direct and asking if they require a reference. As your UCAS application will be as an independent not through a school there is an option to submit it without providing a reference providing all your selected Unis agree this is acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I managed to get a job and my employer agreed to be my reference when I explained the situation to him - yay :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending